Name, your scariest Thai food(s)

SattaheapSea

5 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Not the same, Khai Khao (black egg) is just spices injected to an egg when raw, you can get it at any 7-11.

The fermented fetus egg is rare in Thailand but common in the Philippines.

Last time I saw the fermented egg here on Samui was 15 years ago, same time I got my last deep fried Cobra chips.

In Pattaya I have seen them regularly, so the next time I am there I will buy some cut them in half and post a picture ;)

(if this thread isn't archived by then as I don't go to Pattaya that often anymore :whistling:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Oxx said:

Uhh, how many legs to insects have? Six last time I checked.

How many legs to crabs and lobsters have? Ten at last count.  That means they're not insects.

Uhh read much?

"Both lobsters and cockroaches are arthropods, making them distant relatives. An arthropod is a member of the phylum Arthropoda, which includes insects, crustaceans and arachnids. Arthropods are characterized by a jointed exoskeleton composed of chitin, a segmented body and jointed appendages."

nothing beats a great Laap Dib a steak tartare northern Thai style. Raw minced beef including raw blood, assertively bitter nam phia (the contents of the rumen or first stomach of the cow) and even bitterer nam dee (the uncooked bile from a cow’s gall bladder), these in addition to rubbery strips of boiled tripe and a spicy/numbing herb paste." Makes your mouth water doesn't it?

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/northern-thailands-raw-food-movement-involves-blood-and-guts

45 minutes ago, csabo said:

Uhh read much?

"Both lobsters and cockroaches are arthropods, making them distant relatives. An arthropod is a member of the phylum Arthropoda, which includes insects, crustaceans and arachnids. Arthropods are characterized by a jointed exoskeleton composed of chitin, a segmented body and jointed appendages."

Well they both belong to the same huge phylum ... the largest, in fact, comprising over a million different species. Humans are in the phylum chordata, which includes all vertebrates as well as other subphyla. 

Distant relatives they may, but lobsters and cockroaches are related in the same way that humans are related to snakes.

9 hours ago, Docno said:

Had that before in the Philippines and Cambodia. Had it again last week in a Vietnamese restaurant in Singapore (they do it the same as in Cambodia - pepper and lemon sauce). It's really not as bad as it looks... and the secret is not to look. Didn't know they did it in Thailand as well, but not surprising...

Forgot I'd taken a photo of it with my phone. Here it is. Black pepper sauce can be seen in the upper left. Quite tasty. In fact, a Cambodian friend of mine gave me the fixings for the sauce (just have to add lime juice and water). Now to find a market that sells these eggs so I can impose them on unsuspecting friends. :-)

DSC_0251 (1).jpg

6 hours ago, MJCM said:

In Pattaya I have seen them regularly, so the next time I am there I will buy some cut them in half and post a picture ;)

(if this thread isn't archived by then as I don't go to Pattaya that often anymore :whistling:

And then eat it, very tasty.

Have it all the time, my son also likes them.

20 baht for three.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, SattaheapSea said:

try this one.  anyone  have tasted it?

I could be wrong, but I believe the insect is only for decoration.  The nam phrik includes a secretion from the anal glands of the insect.  The secretion has an aroma similar to pear drops.  Tried a dish made with it once in Vietnam.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

I could be wrong, but I believe the insect is only for decoration.  The nam phrik includes a secretion from the anal glands of the insect.  The secretion has an aroma similar to pear drops.  Tried a dish made with it once in Vietnam.

haha, 

you are wrong the insect is a basic ingredient of this "Nam Prick".

Please ask any Thai wife, this is the worst taste of all time.

it's from hell!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, SattaheapSea said:

haha, 

you are wrong the insect is a basic ingredient of this "Nam Prick".

Please ask any Thai wife, this is the worst taste of all time.

it's from hell!!!!!!!!

You're absolutely right.  There's a recipe for this at http://nlovecooking.com/สูตรน้ำพริกแมงดา/ and elsewhere.

In the English version the insect is dodgily translated as "The Pimp".  The Thai version is clear with mɛɛŋˑdaa naa.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Many years ago when up in darkest Issan, my GF told me that it was a special occasion and we had buffalo to eat.

'Well that's not so special' I said

'Yes, baby buffalo' she countered.

It turned out that what she had prepared was not baby buffalo, but the placenta from a village buffalo that had just given birth.

... and it was raw....

gaeng som...makes me wanna...makes me wanna...(!!!)

my wife almost caused a riot at our western apartment block in Abu Dhabi when she made this once...we barricaded the door and hid under the bed...and she never made it again until we returned to Thailand...

back at the ranch, her family: 'mmmm, aloy mak...'

Shrimp paste is, ah, aromatic to say the least.  My wife loves it. :shock1:  But she will not touch Pla Raa (Pla Daak), even though she's from Isaan.  At least I dodged that bullet.

I do get the creeps seeing a whole pile of those almost-hatched chicken eggs.  But I am a vegetarian, so who cares?

On 8/19/2016 at 3:33 AM, manfredtillmann said:

furry tail or just skin? my wife calls them 'garror', they live all around us. and they are squirrels, but you might as well call them tree rats.

Here in the USA, my Thai relatives call them "grarog".  กระรอก  We do call them tree rats in the U.S.

I had a bro-in-law visit once.  My kids shot a squirrel with their pellet gun.  Bro-in-law gutted and skinned it.  Chopped it up like hamburger with a couple cleavers.  Cooked and ate it BONES AND ALL.  Crunchy!

11 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Here in the USA, my Thai relatives call them "grarog".  กระรอก  We do call them tree rats in the U.S.

I had a bro-in-law visit once.  My kids shot a squirrel with their pellet gun.  Bro-in-law gutted and skinned it.  Chopped it up like hamburger with a couple cleavers.  Cooked and ate it BONES AND ALL.  Crunchy!

sounds like road house fried chicken in vietnam...smash the chicken up with a cleaver, tip into hot oil and then, enjoy :sick:...

• 1 month later...

Any cupboard food. Why oh why does the missus not use the fridge?

There's a half-eaten deep fried fish in the cupboard. Been there two days already. Guarantee it'll come out for breakfast in a day or two. Think that's why nam plah prik was invented.

• 5 months later...
20 minutes ago, MekkOne said:

We got a biologist in here...

Crustaceans form a large, diverse arthropod taxon which includes such familiar animals as crabs, lobsters, crayfish, shrimp, krill, woodlice and barnacles. The crustacean group is usually treated as a subphylum, and thanks to recent molecular studies it is now well accepted that the crustacean group is paraphyletic, and comprises all animals in the Pancrustacea clade other than hexapods. In other words, some crustaceans are more closely related to insects and other hexapods than they are to certain other crustaceans

Congratulations upon your ability to copy and paste from Wikipedia.  I'm in awe.

Not so much congratulations upon your failure to understand what you've copied.