Yet another 'no serving alcohol' day

Chapelroad

4 hours ago, jippytum said:

The usual moaners about not been able to visit a bar or buy booze for twenty four hours .I can remember the draconian

licensing laws in the UK .Now teenagers binge drinking is the norm in many cities.

People seem to be unable to board a flight these days in The UK unless they are half cut .

Get your booze in the day before its not the end of the world .........Get real and stop moaning !!!

You are very selfish, do you work? Think about the bar owners and the business they will lose, and what about

the employees being forced to lose wages? Also, this is a lifelong non drinker here, and I do not frequent the bars, just 

talking from a common sense point of view.

9 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"I am aware that the 'anti alcohol' brigade will be here with their 'can't you do a day without alcohol ?' comments, but, hey, this is thaivisa."

I have absolutely nothing against alcohol although I do not drink myself. In fact, taken  properly, I think it can be a very good thing. But I must admit, I would be one of those people you refer to above...it bores the socks off me every time a day like this comes along....we see some post putting the alcohol free day up there on a par with a world disaster.

Absolutely. I'm not anti-alcohol. In fact, I'm a big fan of the stuff. But if a day without it is a big deal to you, you've got issues. 

Typical Thaivisa faulty logic - like thinking anyone who doesn't pay for sex must be a prude. 

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

It really is strange for country promoting tourism and needing the tourists money, why they keep doing this.

Living here and understanding the rules, it is easy to get around. But if you came with family or friends for a relaxing holiday and had this i would think many would think about other places, or at least return home with a negative report. Dry days and limited serving times are ridiculous.

The whole thing is a shambles and whatever the reasons for the restrictions, they don't work.

It's only strange if your view of Thailand is one big holiday camp for pissed up, horny farangs. 

That kind of tourism is nowhere near as important to Thailand as you think.

36 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Absolutely. I'm not anti-alcohol. In fact, I'm a big fan of the stuff. But if a day without it is a big deal to you, you've got issues. 

Typical Thaivisa faulty logic - like thinking anyone who doesn't pay for sex must be a prude. 

I don't pay for sex and I'm not a prude, I don't mind social drinkers, but I hate drunks.

I also don't mind anyone mongering and paying for sex, just as long as it's between consenting adults

and no one is getting hurt. Everyone to their own here, do as you like, and let everyone else do what they like, by all means give your opinion.

I do it often enough, that's what the forum is for, and everyone should accept everyone elses, even if they don't agree with it.

11 hours ago, sean in udon said:

Have a buddy who's got a bar in Udon Thani.

He says 'been open the past 7 years on queens birthday, but this year waiting for confirmation that it's ok to open'.

Confirmed late this afternoon.

His bar, and presumably all bars in Udon, will be 'business as usual' on Friday.

I would say ,what amazes me, but it does not, I know where these people are coming from (sad, but who am I to argue ?).

I have no interest in motorbikes, so I have never been to that forum.

But the minute you mention alcohol, the sad 'I cannot handle it' brigade are here, en masse.

It was your problem, and it still is, but why come here to critisize ? 

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 9:20 AM, Lantern said:

I originally planned to arrive on 18th July for my 30 day holiday. Had I done so that would have meant 5 alcohol free days during my time here.

Totally unacceptable. 

As it was I arrived on the 21st, missing the first two, but still not happy.

Thinking about Cambodia next year.

I give you 48 hours in that shit hole...wanna bet?

2 hours ago, JJGreen said:

Cut the guy a little slack

He is off to the big smoke of bkk to meet some friends and is feeling a bit nervous about travelling here by himself.

Couple of stiff drinks brings back the confidence.

I first came here when you were in short pants.

Your attempt at sarcasm is pathetic, a bit like my 'bar girl' girlfriend used all my tissues !

Do yourself a favour, next time you have a 7/11 burger, just eat it, and do not go attention seeking. 

5 hours ago, Chapelroad said:

I first came here when you were in short pants.

Your attempt at sarcasm is pathetic, a bit like my 'bar girl' girlfriend used all my tissues !

Do yourself a favour, next time you have a 7/11 burger, just eat it, and do not go attention seeking. 

Your bar girl gf?

I'm not judging u dude

13 hours ago, Chapelroad said:

I would say ,what amazes me, but it does not, I know where these people are coming from (sad, but who am I to argue ?).

I have no interest in motorbikes, so I have never been to that forum.

But the minute you mention alcohol, the sad 'I cannot handle it' brigade are here, en masse.

It was your problem, and it still is, but why come here to critisize ? 

Perhaps because the laws make no sense?

As has already been pointed out - it makes little difference to expats and Thais who either buy in previously, or know the bars that will sell them alcohol regardless.

Its only the tourists that are taken aback by the various no-alcohol days.

Funny, but true story.

One morning I went to my favourite mom and pop store to buy some beer.  Picked up a couple of bottles and then saw a policeman in the shop, heading in my direction (the door)!  Shock horror -I hid them behind my back .

Once the policeman had left I told the shop owners how frightened I had been that either they or I could have been in trouble if the policeman had seen that I was buying alcohol so early.  They fell about laughing that I had been worried!

On 10 August 2016 at 11:06 AM, jippytum said:

The usual moaners about not been able to visit a bar or buy booze for twenty four hours .I can remember the draconian

licensing laws in the UK .Now teenagers binge drinking is the norm in many cities.

People seem to be unable to board a flight these days in The UK unless they are half cut .

Get your booze in the day before its not the end of the world .........Get real and stop moaning !!!

No, it's not the end of the world, but it is annoying.  I seldom drink but the rare occasions I have time to go out with my wife, who works, tend to be on her days off which of course are mainly 'alcohol free Bhudda days'.  A meal out with a bottle of soda is fine, but it would be more enjoyable with a beer or a glass of wine! 

On 8/10/2016 at 8:28 AM, chrissables said:

It really is strange for country promoting tourism and needing the tourists money, why they keep doing this.

Living here and understanding the rules, it is easy to get around. But if you came with family or friends for a relaxing holiday and had this i would think many would think about other places, or at least return home with a negative report. Dry days and limited serving times are ridiculous.

The whole thing is a shambles and whatever the reasons for the restrictions, they don't work.

On 8/10/2016 at 0:11 PM, dick dasterdly said:

It has nothing to do with the tourists being "alcohol dependent gogo bar hopping" types - its just that tourists are on holiday and therefore are a bit taken aback when told that the beer/glass of wine they requested with their meal cannot be served as its a non-alcohol day.

Yeah, right because so many people base their choice of holiday destination on whether or not they can drink alcohol every single day, don't they?

Let's imagine the thought process, shall we?: 

Jenny: "Hmm, I really love Thailand - the food, the buzz, the weather, the beaches and the reasonable prices"

Bob: "Yeah but we might not be able to have a beer with our meal on one day or so"

Jenny: "Oh right well cross it off the list then. Let's try Cambo from now on"

:rolleyes:

51 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

Yeah, right because so many people base their choice of holiday destination on whether or not they can drink alcohol every single day, don't they?

Let's imagine the thought process, shall we?: 

Jenny: "Hmm, I really love Thailand - the food, the buzz, the weather, the beaches and the reasonable prices"

Bob: "Yeah but we might not be able to have a beer with our meal on one day or so"

Jenny: "Oh right well cross it off the list then. Let's try Cambo from now on"

:rolleyes:

You really are missing the point!

Many years ago we went on a holiday to Jordan and one lunch time we ordered our food plus a beer each - to be told that they didn't serve any alcohol.

Neither of us were big drinkers - we only wanted one beer with our lunch and two with our dinner.

So we walked out of the restaurant to another nearby that would serve us a beer with our meal.

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You really are missing the point!

Many years ago we went on a holiday to Jordan and one lunch time we ordered our food plus a beer each - to be told that they didn't serve any alcohol.

Neither of us were big drinkers - we only wanted one beer with our lunch and two with our dinner.

So we walked out of the restaurant to another nearby that would serve us a beer with our meal.

Going to a different restaurant isn't the same as going to a different country, is it?

6 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

Going to a different restaurant isn't the same as going to a different country, is it?

Of course not :gigglem: - we were able to go to another restaurant that would give us the meal (including drink) we required.  Something we expected whilst on holiday!

The restaurant that didn't meet our needs lost our business.  Some tourists here will come to the same decision when given a far more encompassing ban.

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Of course not :gigglem: - we were able to go to another restaurant that would give us the meal (including drink) we required.  Something we expected whilst on holiday!

The restaurant that didn't meet our needs lost our business.  Some tourists here will come to the same decision when given a far more encompassing ban.

So my point about the importance of the availability of alcohol not really figuring in choice of destination was valid, after all

While the availability of alcohol on one day might prompt someone to choose a different restaurant, it won't make them choose a different holiday destination

Edited by Agent Sumo

13 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

So my point about the importance of the availability of alcohol not really figuring in choice of destination was valid, after all

While the availability of alcohol on one day might prompt someone to choose a different restaurant, it won't make them choose a different holiday destination

I give up!

I made the point that my expectations were not met in one restaurant, so moved to another.

But I'm sure that tourists in Thailand won't react the same way.

On 8/10/2016 at 0:11 PM, dick dasterdly said:

It has nothing to do with the tourists being "alcohol dependent gogo bar hopping" types - its just that tourists are on holiday and therefore are a bit taken aback when told that the beer/glass of wine they requested with their meal cannot be served as its a non-alcohol day.

I don't think it is the 'wine with their dinner' types that are complaining, rather those that want to party during every waking hour that are doing so.