Revamped Pantip Plaza in Pratunam unveiled after two years and THB300 million

webfact

Revamped Pantip Plaza in Pratunam unveiled after two years and THB300 million

By Coconuts Bangkok 

13962776_1779380258950660_70442245078084

Photo: Anytime Nowhere/Facebook

BANGKOK: -- Pantip Plaza in Pratunam reopened yesterday after a THB300 million makeover that was in the works for two years.

According to the overseer of Pantip Plaza, Asset World Estate, they intend for the 67,000 square-meter shopping center in Pratunam to be a hub for Information Technology (IT) products and cutting-edge technological devices.

An additional budget of THB150 million has also been set aside as the company plans to also revamp three other Pantip Plaza, said Sansern.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/09/revamped-pantip-plaza-pratunam-unveiled-after-two-years-and-thb300-million

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-09

300 million? Was that made when they were renting out to all the pirated software sellers or did someone buy the property? All these landowners with illegal businesses (pirated goods, prostitution, etc) on their land make out big and are never responsible for the "crimes" that took or are taking place on their premises. You have to wonder who really owns these properties in Bangkok and around Thailand.

Yes, the place is half empty, what a pity.

They got rid of the restaurant, which was my favourite places around there.

Its terrible design, cold, and grim - like a hospital waiting room.
No colour, so depressing.

I don't know what they spent 300,000 on but a few thousand on a decent interior designer might have helped.

yes pantip plaza has really gone down hill and what about the officious

security guards in their new beige uniforms. you would think you were in a prison.

recommend elite for computer parts on the 5th floor of paragon just down the road who have relocated from pantip plaza,.

17 hours ago, rheinwiese said:

went there last week. sad sight. like a graveyard. most shops empty and abandoned.

I haven't been there for 15 years but from what you're saying it sounds as if nothing has really changed. From the picture it looks very much as if a few roses have been scattered on a pile of cr*p.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

All these "IT" malls sell the same useless overpriced tat here. Give me Amazon any day.

I use Amazon's "one click" very often, BUT there are many things you can do at a store you cannot ever do at Amazon.

I was shocked when I went last month at how quickly it has gone downhill, the "facelift" has not worked which is a shame, it has served me well for over 20 years.

If you spent the time you could usually find what you wanted at the right price and find people who could do complicated repairs at a ridiculously low price;  but parking has always been a nightmare.

At least it is still better than the sham "Pantip" they opened in Bang Kapi a few years ago.

Fortune is good, but parking (and traffic around Rama 9) is still terrible. Yes the Blue line is great, but not very useful for most, especially if you want to buy some bulky kit.

I am sure some extra law abiding citizens will not agree with me, but countries in the Far East like Thailand, Singapore, HK, etc. could not have built their children's knowledge of computing and enabled them to pass University/school exams, let alone develop basic computing skills without the availability of pirated software from the Pantips/Golden Plaza's/etc. of this world; nor could the small businesses that are the mainstay of these countries have thrived.

Continued hassles by the police to work with the iniquitous "Software Alliance" and chase away vendors and tourists have only been detrimental to the country - and simply moved the pirates to other locations.

I know this is encouraging illegal activities, with all the "unintended consequences" that come with such activities, and I would not take this stand if the Apple's (especially Apple) and Microsoft's of this world had reasonable pricing policies.

I know it costs money to develop good software (and ruin it again like Vista/Win 10/Office 7/etc) but the fact that Mr Gates is one of the richest people in the world indubitably demonstrates  that the pricing was/is never fair.

NB  Yes, this is being typed on a "Legal" copy of Windows bloody 10 (555) and I do think that  companies should never use pirated software. But would like to bet that very few members of TV don't have some pirated software/ music/ etc. on their PC's/smartphones.

Better pricing/distribution/sales policies are needed all round.

This is especially true when if you buy something say from Amazon with a UK Credit Card, you get zapped for VAT even if you don't live there.

Oh, the rich get rich and the poor.................

I stopped going to Pantip after I discovered Fortune many years ago.  Easier to get around without being hasseled by the sexy video guys, and much easier to get to once the MRT started running.

Siam Discover is another 'renovation' disaster, in my opinion.

Last time i went to phantip (3 years ago or so) was to buy a new battery for my laptop.

They didn't have it or only very expensive for a 2 year old battery.

Even untill today i wouldn't know where we can go in BKK to buy a battery...is there a real batteryshop somewhere who has them all?

On August 10, 2016 at 9:18 AM, freebyrd said:

I haven't been there for 15 years but from what you're saying it sounds as if nothing has really changed. From the picture it looks very much as if a few roses have been scattered on a pile of cr*p.

I stopped going there 10 years ago.

The gang of disrespectful, grappy punks blocking every escalator pushing the sexy movies really annoyed me. I'm ready to take someone to the ground when they grab my arm like that. 

Never understood why the management let them harass customers like that. 

And the place is a fire trap with the common area and fire stairs blocked with merchandise, plus the dodgy wiring all over the place. 

If you haven't been there recently, you will be pleased to learn the DVD touts have long gone. I haven't been offered sexy DVDs there in years... but maybe I no longer look like a prospective customer... :lol:  and as for touting tuk-tuk drivers, never had even one accost me in over twenty years of going to Panthip.

It looks to me like they have tried to make it more of a lifestyle mall which is all the rage now. A lot of the small parts shops have been replaced by larger corporate type stores showcasing one brand e.g. MSI, Acer etc. Palladium down the road has picked up with many more stores open, but it still remains devoid of customers.

IMG_0008_r.JPG

Phantip needs those big stores, headquarter of Acer should be there and have everything in stock. So if you have an Acer for any problem or part you can go there and it's in stock and they can fix it.

I get tired of all those small shops who don't know anything or just don't have it...mod leow. Big busy computershops can beat all those small ones easy, that happened all over Europe as well. Big quantities for low prices.

Yes those touts were a pain in the butt. I also was rude to them because of how they approached me..i hate it when people grab my arm to sell me something, it's very rude.

But in the past i have bought dvd's there and they brought me to a very shady small room, somewhere up a ladder and through very narrow alleys..There was another farang standing there with his hands full of dvd's and a very tiny girl advising him about the movies. For a moment i thought i landed up in some weird movie or that it all was a setup. 

Anyway, it was never boring in Panthip and you could also go out onto the parkinglot (in case of fire) at the back of the mall on an upper floor. I liked to go out there for a smoke while shopping.

What a missed chance, no big battery shop in BKK....

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

@Thian,  Fortune Tower has quite a few kiosks with laptop batteries in their display case.  I'd imagine you could find any battery for a laptop model that's ever been sold in Thailand.

Well i mean a batteryshop who has them ALL and only sells batteries. Not only for laptop, just all sizes and voltages for all electronics.

It's not hard to build batterypacks, those shops should be everywhere. 

Also there should be an Arduino/robotshop in the phantip.  There are more IT-malls in BKK but they also have floors full of tshirts or buddha's, i would like to see a real IT-mall without underwearshops or so.

7 minutes ago, Thian said:

Also there should be an Arduino/robotshop in the phantip.  There are more IT-malls in BKK but they also have floors full of tshirts or buddha's, i would like to see a real IT-mall without underwearshops or so.

Wouldn't that be great?  Sigh.

On 10/08/2016 at 11:25 AM, HerbalEd said:

I use Amazon's "one click" very often, BUT there are many things you can do at a store you cannot ever do at Amazon.

I struggle to think of much one can do in Thai store as they rarely have any stock of anything worth buying. Unless you happen to like "Hello Kitty" phone covers.

• 1 year later...
On 8/10/2016 at 8:26 AM, jobsworth said:

yes pantip plaza has really gone down hill and what about the officious

security guards in their new beige uniforms. you would think you were in a prison.

recommend elite for computer parts on the 5th floor of paragon just down the road who have relocated from pantip plaza,.

Are you talking about Siam Paragon, which is not really 'just down the road' or maybe you mean Pratunam, Platinum or Palladium which are nearby?