World’s longest hunger-strike ends with honey

webfact

World’s longest hunger-strike ends with honey

606x341_340884.jpg

World’s longest hunger strike ends

Irom Sharmila licks honey from her hand

She plans to run in state elections in 2017

MANIPUR: -- One of India’s most-prominent political activists has ended her 16-year hunger strike.

Licking honey from her hand, Irom Sharmila declared “I will never forget this moment.”

How has she survived this long?

She has been fed through a tube since 2000.

Why was she in custody?

Sharmila had been charged with attempted suicide, a crime in India.

A judge granted her bail on Tuesday.

Why did she embark on her hunger strike?

She began her fast in protest at security legislation in the north-eastern Indian state of Manipur.

She plans to continue to oppose the law that gives security forces wide powers to search, enter property and shoot on sight in remote parts of the state.

She says she plans to run in state elections in 2017 to have the legislation struck down.

“I am being the real embodiment of revolution, and I want to be the CM (Chief Minister) of Manipur. And the foremost thing will be the removal of this draconian law,” she told reporters.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-10

1 hour ago, Sphere said:

So, not really a "hunger" strike that.

Just try it for a couple of weeks with a tube up your nose.

Quite an achievement, 16 years refuse to have food to draw attention to what she perceives as Government's abuse of power.
More power to her.

Since you stated that it was not a "hunger" strike, what I find quite a remarkable statement as it implies that no suffering was involved. Being force fed, i.e. against her will, is not a pleasure.

Some people have no weapons or other means, or choose not to use weapons, to fight their fights. So, they are prepared to sacrifice their lives for what they think is a just cause.
You may for example find the story of Mahatma Ghandi enlightening. There is a movie about his life in case you do not want to read up on it.

Not something to make fun of in my simple opinion, or probably I miss the humorous point you are making.

9 hours ago, Sphere said:

Why should I?

She refused to eat what was presented to her.

That is referred to as a "Hunger Strike".

She would then have been restrained and force fed via a nasal tube.  Like this:

force fed.jpg

It sometimes helps those with little imagination to walk a few yards, if not a mile, in another persons shoes.

Edited by Enoon

I have spent a fair amount of time in Manipur over the years.  It's a hellish place.  This woman is a remarkable person.  I would like to have a fraction of her courage.  Incredible to hear her actions minimized.