Samsung Note 7 vs Note 4

Scotwight

I have just been back to the UK and there are notices all over Heathrow that they cannot be carried on aircraft.

Is Samsung on the verge of a SECOND Galaxy Note 7 recall? Investigation begins into supposedly safe handset that exploded on a Southwest Airlines flight

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3827724/Is-Samsung-verge-SECOND-Galaxy-Note-7-recall-Investigation-begins-supposedly-safe-handset-exploded-Southwest-Airlines-flight.html

15 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

well I guess either hold on to the Note 4 for another year or settle for a Note 5

i had the 3 about a year then the 4 two years now

but some numb nuts forgot to

put an sd card slot in the 5

so thats why i didnt buy one

and the reason im waiting for the 7

dave2 

graffiti sad dog animal 10 oct 13 2013-10-10 14.23.18.jpg

would the decision by Samsung just today that everyone should now switch off this device until further notice badly affect many Thai's?

I mean what a terrible dilemma for Thai's that  have spent 26,000 baht on a mobile device (to which many are totally addicted). this is not a small amount to some Thai people. It's okay for us rich farangs who can immediately go out and buy an expensive replacement from one of Samsung's competitors. But what do those on small incomes do? Do they go out and buy a cheap replacement in the meantime and for how long are they likely to be unable to go without the enhanced features of something like a Galaxy 7?

Just now, Asiantravel said:

would the decision by Samsung just today that everyone should now switch off this device until further notice badly affect many Thai's?

I mean what a terrible dilemma for Thai's that  have spent 26,000 baht on a mobile device (to which many are totally addicted). this is not a small amount to some Thai people. It's okay for us rich farangs who can immediately go out and buy an expensive replacement from one of Samsung's competitors. But what do those on small incomes do? Do they go out and buy a cheap replacement in the meantime and for how long are they likely to be unable to go without the enhanced features of something like a Galaxy 7?

I believe Samsung has suspended exchanges, so there should be a full refund for purchases. I doubt if many if at all poor Thais will have purchased a latest model Note 7. The logistical problem for those who buy grey imports is that there is only a 1 year shop guarantee, so if I had purchased a Note 7 in HK and brought it to Thailand I would now have a problem as it is illegal to carry one on a plane, so I couldn't take it back. Will Samsung refund/exchange all Note 7s from wherever they have been purchased? We wait to see.

Rather than Turn Off - why not take it outside, and leave it ON, and walk away...

Hopefully, the cause of the problem (the Battery) will be Discharged

(or is even an empty '7 battery as dangerous as an empty Jerry can? )

A Year ago was a discussion under analysts if Samsung decide to give up its mobile phone sector. I guess, they decided wrong. Even Samsung is the biggest mobile phone manufacturer, the gains from the sales are actually quite low due the competition. And, Samsung could easily be successful without mobile devices. Samsung is also the biggest Food-trader in South Korea. They also offer Insurances.

On 12/10/2016 at 8:26 AM, alocacoc said:

A Year ago was a discussion under analysts if Samsung decide to give up its mobile phone sector. I guess, they decided wrong. Even Samsung is the biggest mobile phone manufacturer, the gains from the sales are actually quite low due the competition. And, Samsung could easily be successful without mobile devices. Samsung is also the biggest Food-trader in South Korea. They also offer Insurances.

Prior to the Note 7 crisis, Samsung galaxy line successful profit-wise. http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/samsungs-profit-surges-to-2-year-high-on-galaxy-phone-sales-866031

On 12/10/2016 at 5:27 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Case closed.

A multi billion dollar fail.

Other companies would go bankrupt with such.

Is there Harakiri in Korea? :shock1:

Sales from other mobiles in the Galaxy series much larger than the Note 7 series, so your conclusion incorrect. Much larger range than Apple which is reliant on a small number of handset models.

On 11/10/2016 at 7:53 AM, tifino said:

Rather than Turn Off - why not take it outside, and leave it ON, and walk away...

Hopefully, the cause of the problem (the Battery) will be Discharged

(or is even an empty '7 battery as dangerous as an empty Jerry can? )

Well maybe, but difficult to show that a battery is at a permanent state of zero ie completely dead. Once the airlines decided to ban the carrying of the phones on planes then it is game over for flying expats.

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:09 PM, SheungWan said:

I very much doubt if this situation is going to affect my upgrade from a Note 3 to a Note 4 next year

Unless Samsung comes out and explains what was wrong with the Note7, how they allowed it to be sold and what plans they have in place to avoid selling unsafe products in future, I doubt I'll be buying anything from them in the foreseeable future. Now I'm searching LG and Chinese brand alternatives for my Note 3.

• 10 months later...
On 8/27/2017 at 0:20 PM, SheungWan said:

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 now refurbished and on sale as Samsung Galaxy Note FE (Fan Edition) in Hong Kong. Grey market. Don't know whether available in Thailand. Note 4 also available in Mong Kok HK, both official and grey versions.

as far as i know ,it is still an offence to carry one of these note 7 models on an aircraft 

whether its a refurbished fan edition or not i wouldnt take the risk of being kicked off a plane 

http://fortune.com/2017/01/12/airlines-samsung-galaxy-note-7-warning/

13 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

as far as i know ,it is still an offence to carry one of these note 7 models on an aircraft 

whether its a refurbished fan edition or not i wouldnt take the risk of being kicked off a plane 

http://fortune.com/2017/01/12/airlines-samsung-galaxy-note-7-warning/

The FE has a new (smaller) battery. Whether the airlines consider the FE to be a banned Note 7 is a question to be clarified before buying I agree.