Do EXPATS have a future in Thailand 20 years from now?

JJGreen

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is evolving. Like the rest of the world. I see a lot of young expats moving here, starting businesses, doing online work and really getting involved in local activities. BTW - many of these young expats are from ASEAN countries, not just westerners.  I think this is great. It is what the country needs. Yes, is has become more expensive. Name a place that hasn't. Live in Cambodia, Laos or Vietnam. None of these places has the infrastructure or opportunities that Thailand has and are unlikely to have in the near future.Scams?  Hell, the whole region has scams and many other parts of the world as well. As an expat of even a short period you learn to sort those out. They are generally aimed at tourists. To be successful as an expat here you have to learn the language, find a niche, keep your wits about you and be prepared to accept that things are different here. It works for some and not for others. If you are in the latter category, feel alienated or unwanted here, then it is probably time to move on. But to say that the sky is falling and there is no future for expats here is stretching things a little. In my humble opinion, of course.

Does Thailand have a future is a much more pertinent question.

Of course it does. This nation has overcome and withstood many things, and can take pride that they were the only country in SEA that wasn't raped by western powers. Thais have the ability to roll with the punches, and perhaps the reason why they are reluctant to follow our lead, is that they can see how our society is compared to theirs. They keep coming out on top in various polls on the happiest people, which tells me I made the right move coming here.

Just now, geronimo said:

Of course it does. This nation has overcome and withstood many things, and can take pride that they were the only country in SEA that wasn't raped by western powers. Thais have the ability to roll with the punches, and perhaps the reason why they are reluctant to follow our lead, is that they can see how our society is compared to theirs. They keep coming out on top in various polls on the happiest people, which tells me I made the right move coming here.

I guess to clarify I would say I am talking about the environment more than the economics.