Australian PM promises 'heads will roll' over census

webfact

Australian PM promises 'heads will roll' over census

CANBERRA: -- Australia's prime minister has promised "heads will roll" after an online attack left millions of people locked out the country's census website.

Two-thirds of Australians were expected to complete the national survey online in an ambitious shift from paper.

An investigation is likely to focus on tech giant IBM's efforts to protect the A$470m (£280m, US$360m) project.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37008174

-- BBC 2016-08-11

perhaps they should have held the census over a week or a month rather than get everyone logging on in a short time frame. wonder what proportion of the general public actually participates. i have an aussie passport and i did not even know it was on. they could just get the info from the drivers licence records. majority of aussies drive.

it is just a butt - covering exercise of malcolm, who himself has stuffed up so many things in australia.

many people held high hopes on his vision and wisdom, taking over from the 'living in the distant past' d..bf..k abbot.

but malcolm did not deliver!

there are a lot of overpaid and under - performing people in charge of the nations destiny, and, NO, the political opposition offers no alternative.

to fix this utter mess a few rolling heads will not even be the beginning.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

perhaps they should have held the census over a week or a month rather than get everyone logging on in a short time frame. wonder what proportion of the general public actually participates. i have an aussie passport and i did not even know it was on. they could just get the info from the drivers licence records. majority of aussies drive.

People do have a month to complete the census, but for whatever reason strongly communicated via the media to complete on the Tuesday. Personally I completed the census & submitted the form online about a week before Census night with no problems. Overall it appears to me the options were very poorly communicated.

Having worked in IT sales to Fed Govt it would be likely infrastructure requirements were underestimated and govt PM / change management ownership somewhat of a disaster. The out will be blame the vendor.

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

Passport is irrelevant. The census is for those people physically resident in Oz on the census date.

5 hours ago, disambiguated said:

There were a couple of DDoS attacks, but they weren't the real issue.

The root cause of the problem was inadequate scalability testing coupled with only a 500mb/sec uplink.

Lol

Sounds like something that would happen in australia