Hua Hin bomb blasts: Thailand on high alert - Interior Ministry issues wide ranging directives throughout country

webfact

4 minutes ago, Iumentum said:

Haha, every media more or less are somewhat biased and controlled. Only a muppet would not question the honesty behind any media source presenting the so called truth. Your statement makes you seem just as manipulated as anyone who would believe in any other source, if you blindly believe that your source is not biased. Reminds me of every religious nutter truly believing that their true god is the only true god. But i guess you just happened to pick the only true unbiased media source right?

Nope I just don't follow the hysterical all press is biased line of non thought. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Nope I just don't follow the hysterical all press is biased line of non thought. 

Nobody says anyone has to be hysterical, but being skeptic is a good thing, instead of eating anything raw no matter what the source might be, because every source will be influenced by their own personal point og view.

Am I surprised well no. The main reason I moved out of tourist places years ago.

Having lived in Thailand for well over 20 years and kept abreast of the on going problems it was something I have always said was just waiting to happen.

I thought that they would have hit Phuket and the likes, surprised it's taken this long.

Whatever government has been in charge they have done little or nothing to quell the problems in the deep south. It was always in the south so let it continue there, seems to be their idea . Now it's hit home big time.

Like many peeps that are posting I don't know for sure that it has come from the south but it's more than likely the case, as all the explosions are in that part of the country.

If it was the we don't like Mr Prayut and his mob surely they would have hit BKK???

Whatever it'll definitely bugger the tourist industry.

Try and stay safe wherever you are.

2 minutes ago, Iumentum said:

Nobody says anyone has to be hysterical, but being skeptic is a good thing, instead of eating anything raw no matter what the source might be, because every source will be influenced by their own personal point og view.

Yes. That's why I read a number of sources that can be trusted, you get their slant but it's essentially the truth and draw your own understanding from them. 

To to do this with AP you just believe the opposite of what they say. 

Sarcasm...(mostly)

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Yes. That's why I read a number of sources that can be trusted, you get their slant but it's essentially the truth and draw your own understanding from them. 

To to do this with AP you just believe the opposite of what they say. 

Sarcasm...(mostly)

It sure is always a good idea to try to look at the coin from both sides, because there is always 2 sides of a story, so it will make it more likely to come to a more reasonable conclusion. It is very difficult to find 1 source (at least in english) that will draw a full imagine of conflicts in Thailand and what does separate the people. That people blindly following a specific source no matter what the source might be, will easily make them end up become a part of the issue dividing the people rather than  building bridges. There is nothing easier than pointing fingers, and seem like humanity got a knack of doing so. Most conflicts as we see in Thailand got bad on both sides, but everyone who made their stand wether if it is one side or the other, is too proud to admit or recognize their own flaws and too busy pointing out what is going on on the other side of the fence. People often let themselves come a politcal tool, rather than a part of the citizens holding the politicians in check.

2 hours ago, djjamie said:

"the bombs were possibly designed to discredit Prime Minister Prayut Chan-och"

I think this only further justifies the coup and the good work Prayut has done to restore tourist numbers after silencing the red terrorists that dished out their terror without being held accountable.

I can imagine some are very upset that tourist numbers went to record levels after the coup including some on this forum.

I think this only further justifies the coup and the good work Prayut has done to restore tourist numbers after silencing the red terrorists that dished out their terror without being held accountable.

I can imagine some are very upset that tourist numbers went to record levels after the coup including some on this forum.

Verifiable facts and sources please. Otherwise hearsay claims and counter claims are meaningless.

Some facts are self evident, such as there were bombings.

2 hours ago, Plutojames88 said:

Mindless fluff.

Meanwhile .....keep abreast folks of all goings on using sources that are not under junta orders.

Here and sources like Western media ...check embassy advice .

Hopefully , the violence will  subside .

The US embassy simply reiterated what they learned from Thai Police and media. Don't know why you assume they'd have any super powers to get any useful information not locally available. Western media wouldn't know Hua Hin from Honolulu. 

One can almost hear your voice rising in pitch as you typed your message. Calm down. Have a drink. Eat some chocolate. You'll feel better.

There was no justification for the coup then and there is not now. The conflicts which "led" to the coup were manipulated in order to try to provoke and justify it.

We are still in the period after the coup and will have to wait and see what the longer term consequences for tourism are for a country facing decades of military rule by thinly disguised proxy. Tourist numbers have been helped by visitors from countries with an equivocal attitude to western democracy. However there are signs that the honeymoon is over in the relationship between Thailand and Chinese tourists. 

Bombs are not noted as a tourist attractant and we have yet to see if the Army and Police can work together to contain this threat.

We don't know if terrorists (red or any other colour or flavour) were "silenced" but it certainly looks as if some terrorists are not being so quiet now. If this were the beginning of an extended bombing campaign then the tourist industry might be heading in the same direction as that of Egypt or Turkey.

And before you respond, I in no sense support  or condone the bomb and fire attacks or any other form of political violence but equally I do not believe that violence in anyway justifies a military takeover which is just another form of political violence, albeit threatened in this case, rather than actual, or the consequences that has on civil society. An armed takeover invites an armed response which may be what is now developing, although I, personally seriously hope not as I have personal and business interests in this country which are just as much at risk as Thai persons and businesses.

At the end of the day, most posters want to see the same thing here, a stable, equitable, productive and contented society, but we just have strong differences of opinion on how that might be best achieved (and possibly what it looks like).

9 hours ago, djjamie said:

Record levels?   is that a serious comment, or do you work for Thai tourism?

This country's tourist industry is in free fall and a junta and the events of the last few hours will only make that worse.

But <deleted> it, lets blame Thaksin and Yingluk

3 hours ago, djjamie said:

The whole region has been setting new records in tourist arrivals during the same period. This has been a very good year in fact. Nothing unique to Thailand (if, indeed, the numbers are up in Thailand in the first place). It's therefore questionable whether the good general deserves the special credit you give him....

Edited by Docno

6 hours ago, MorristheRunt said:

Record levels?   is that a serious comment, or do you work for Thai tourism?

This country's tourist industry is in free fall and a junta and the events of the last few hours will only make that worse.

But <deleted> it, lets blame Thaksin and Yingluk

Tourism is up, but the tourism has changed a lot. Most visitors is currently Chinese, which buy packet tours from home including more or less everything. You will only notice them entering and leaving their hotels showing up in busses at tourist attractions. However, even though that the amount of tourists is up, the income is down due to several reasons and one of them are that these packet tours are paid from home to foreign tour companies, so a lot of those money will never enter Thailand. This does also affect the small local businesses, because they dont get the same amount of visitors due to the fact that only a small amount of these packet tours will even go and visit a restaurant, because even their meals is paid for from home. Unless people are working within the tourist industry it is easy to think that the tourism is down, even though the number of people crossing the border is up.

Problem with the turn that the tourism in Thailand has taken, is that they managed to lose money while gaining visitors.

3 hours ago, djjamie said:

Red terrorists.. I've just been watching BBC news and these bombings have been targeting a lot of tourist areas. You know, a bit like Isis do. The fact that you think bombing anybody justifies anything says a lot about you.

Edited by Alwyn

3 hours ago, Plutojames88 said:

Mindless fluff.

Meanwhile .....keep abreast folks of all goings on using sources that are not under junta orders.

Here and sources like Western media ...check embassy advice .

Hopefully , the violence will  subside .

More bad press.... And although definitely evil... It will get more attention than it warrants, worldwide.... But that's the point of terrorism as seen in this attack, I suppose

image.png

25 minutes ago, tuanku said:

There was no justification for the coup then and there is not now. The conflicts which "led" to the coup were manipulated in order to try to provoke and justify it.

We are still in the period after the coup and will have to wait and see what the longer term consequences for tourism are for a country facing decades of military rule by thinly disguised proxy. Tourist numbers have been helped by visitors from countries with an equivocal attitude to western democracy. However there are signs that the honeymoon is over in the relationship between Thailand and Chinese tourists. 

Bombs are not noted as a tourist attractant and we have yet to see if the Army and Police can work together to contain this threat.

We don't know if terrorists (red or any other colour or flavour) were "silenced" but it certainly looks as if some terrorists are not being so quiet now. If this were the beginning of an extended bombing campaign then the tourist industry might be heading in the same direction as that of Egypt or Turkey.

And before you respond, I in no sense support  or condone the bomb and fire attacks or any other form of political violence but equally I do not believe that violence in anyway justifies a military takeover which is just another form of political violence, albeit threatened in this case, rather than actual, or the consequences that has on civil society. An armed takeover invites an armed response which may be what is now developing, although I, personally seriously hope not as I have personal and business interests in this country which are just as much at risk as Thai persons and businesses.

At the end of the day, most posters want to see the same thing here, a stable, equitable, productive and contented society, but we just have strong differences of opinion on how that might be best achieved (and possibly what it looks like).

Excellent post.

The Junta is doing an awful job given the reason they took control was to bring peace. 

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

update from Hua Hin.

15 minutes ago drove through and around the bombing area in Hua hin. I went past the train station in Hua Hin. Both streets were blocked off with Army and Police Bomb Disposal Units deploying in front of the station.

Phetkasem Road is blocked to north bound traffic and everyone is being forced to u-turn to the south.

Same at some point in the North as there is no traffic at all at the main traffic light at Hua Hin 61.

There is blood all over the Soi in front of the bombing location.

Many Thai people in the Binabaht area look very sad and many were crying as I walked near the bomb site this morning.

One Thai woman told me she knew the lady who operates the food cart and said she just missed getting killed.

I saw many nervous looking tourists, mostly young couples and families. 

Thanks much for the 'man-on-the-ground' report and reality check.  More of us expats should contribute this way to fill in the gaps to the less-than-detailed news pieces that are written by local media sources.  I personally appreciate your time and effort.  :thumbsup:

If most of the OP's had seen war up close the arguements would die away, the kiling and wounding of innocents only make people angry and are counter productive, better to surgically remove important people as this may change policy! Just my opinion....ok? I really really hate war! :(:wai:

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The foreign news media I am reading are saying no such thing.

Then again I only read news media that value truth, honesty and integrity. 

News Media that values the TRUTH, HONESTY and INTEGRITY.

HELL which was is this.

I have NEVER read one.

6 hours ago, djjamie said:

Unreal fantasies and delusions underpinning a perverse view of Thai politics. Especially tasteless  in view of the injuries and deaths.  This is not a time for sick trolls to slither out from under their rocks and make mischief. Shame on you.

Edited by The manic