Thailand under siege - morning bombs explode all over Hua Hin, Phuket and Surat

webfact

1 minute ago, TPI said:

Could it be the "green" V's "brown" wars over fuel smuggling, people smuggling, drug smuggling, timber smuggling have kicked off again?? :(:facepalm::bah::wai:

Hard to say, but with all that is going on in the world, and the Koranimal penchant for co-ordinated attacks when the DO attack, I'm sticking with with my gut instinct, and calling it snackbar so far.

Edited by NotMyUsualid

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Trang...Phuket...Surat Thani...Hua Hin have never been targeted by the southern insurgents. Possible but unlikely...more likely politically motivated violence...right after constitutional referendum  and timed for this national holiday weekend.

Another sad byproduct of the country's political polorization is that the police and assorted law enforcement authorities have been so throughly politicized that nobody is ever found responsible for these acts (the Erawan bombing was also about a year ago...anyone arrested for this (not including foreign patsys?). It's to the point where up is down and down is up when it comes to assigning blame.

In December 2013 there was an unexploded car bomb found in Phuket, but was not reported in the Thai press due to the whistleblowing in Bkk, you can google it. The Samui bomb was denied as a terrorist act and rather used to blame the Dubai ghost. Untill the Thai people dont start to care about real negotiations and real power sharing in the south, nothing will change and many more innocent people will die. So far more than 4000 have died, most Muslim but that seem to carry less weight than the recent bombs outside the 3 southern provinces. RIP all those that have died, may we find peace.

4 hours ago, joeyg said:

What a tragic and horrific action.  Unfortunately it is becoming the standard.  Cowards killing unarmed people.  Couldn't happen in Pattaya? Could it? Central Mall? Nah, never...

I choose to exercise caution and avoidance. Plenty to do at home. Others are free to do whatever their conscience tells them to do in order to stay safe.

4 hours ago, EnzoRippo said:

If I was Burmese our Uighur, I would begin to worry. Genuine Thais cannot do this on that day.

Genuine Thais cannot do this on that day.

The tried to burn down Bangkok once, They cheered when two children died in a bombing, was it in Trang? So yes the genuine Thais can do.

There's another hole in the tourism ship.  Very sad - its almost as if the entire country is trying hard to sink itself.  To add to the coups, overpricing, bad environment, poor infrastructure and ageing population we now have terrorism.

I hope they sort themselves out - not the least as Im in it as thick as anyone else.

5 hours ago, NotMyUsualid said:

What sort of a mindset, wants to ruin the biggest earner, tourism, for their own people?

What sort of a mindset, is used to synchronized bombing?

What group of people regularly targets tourists / innocents as their modus operandi?

I'm calling this - snackbar attack.

What sort of a mindset, wants to ruin the biggest earner, tourism,

IMO those that wish harm to Thailand's lower socioeconomic people. They are the ones with most to lose by a downturn in tourism. Few, if any of the elites work in the tourism sector, though many probably own parts of it. As to why, I don't know, but I can guess, and I'm not saying why on here.

1 hour ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I very much doubt the attacks had anything to do with tourism per se, other than that the locations chosen the perpetrators could expect some foreigners might be injured/killed and that this would send the message to foreign governments/publics through their media, the same message that was being sent to the current Thai government.

Also, the choosing of Hua Hin was certainly not an accident.

I sort of agree. If it was radical Islamists like those that bombed Bali, Pattaya, Had Rin or the bar areas of Bkk would be more suitable targets. That they bombed Surat and Trang indicates to me that it is more than an attack on tourists.

4 hours ago, NotMyUsualid said:

I remember back in about 2006, a bar girl I knew, who was in tight with the local police, said they found multiple devices over the New Year period.

And they purposly kept it quiet.

Well that's normally the aim of terrorist attacks, spoil daily life and get the rumour mill going - you're doing their job brilliantly...as are those who think they are safer indoors or in other locations........

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

No mention in Phuket News so far of any genuine bombings.

No idea why - sometimes it 'sucks' not trusting the local media sources.

Well what was reported in Trang yesterday definitely happened. Less than a mile from our house, the area looked like a butchers shop.

5 hours ago, NotMyUsualid said:

What sort of a mindset, wants to ruin the biggest earner, tourism, for their own people?

What sort of a mindset, is used to synchronized bombing?

What group of people regularly targets tourists / innocents as their modus operandi?

I'm calling this - snackbar attack.

People who want to hold on to power at any cost? People who are so wealthy they do not care about economic downturns? People who's sense of ownership and entitlement lead them to destabilise then overthrow a government -twice elected? Any idea who fita the description?

26 minutes ago, Benmart said:

I choose to exercise caution and avoidance. Plenty to do at home. Others are free to do whatever their conscience tells them to do in order to stay safe.

I only say this in this way because about a year ago there was some discussion about possible terror attacks here in Pattaya.  It just seems that Central Mall would be the prime target.  Anyway for some reason or other people got very argumentative about that being wrong, and I hope they're right.

I rode by today and there were three extra security guards unarmed on the stairwell to the left.  There were no other extra police or military and site. And no undercover guards at least that I could detect. One would think there would be heightened security but it really didn't seem to be the case.

Reportedly they have one of the Hua Hin bombers in custody.

He has shown them where they had planted a total of 11 bombs in the town, so it seems he is definitely part of it.

Ergo, the authorities must now have a good idea which group is responsible. Hopefully they will show some leadership soon and release information to the public. The rumours rushing around the country are out of control.

29 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

No mention in Phuket News so far of any genuine bombings.

No idea why - sometimes it 'sucks' not trusting the local media sources.

You need a new prescription:

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-on-high-alert-after-patong-bombs-58664.php#zdPIiuDQ2EQjDbyC.97

http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-bomb-explosions-in-patong-third-found-bomb-found-58660.php#UXT1b70bJEqeA8p4.97

Edited by phuketandsee

57 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

Small bombs designed to show how little control the government has.

I worry about the backlash though

Yes, I was going to post about this, too. The bombs were small and therefore not designed to cause widespread carnage. Also, going off in the early morning when fewer people are up and about combined with the fact that attacks were repeated is a message to the authorities that you do not have the stability that you claim. The attacks were not designed to wipe out the most people possible, in my opinion. The timing and the locations of the HH bombs are a message to say how close we can come to the establishment. Folks need to be vigilant as more attacks are highly likely.  

My information indicates this is not the work of southern terrorists.  Who stands to gain the most from a deteriation in law and order?  Who would be highly selective in choosing poorly populated soft targets to minimise injury but get their point across?  

3 minutes ago, xineohp said:

My information indicates this is not the work of southern terrorists.  Who stands to gain the most from a deteriation in law and order?  Who would be highly selective in choosing poorly populated soft targets to minimise injury but get their point across?  

Come on then, don't be shy - Who?

14 minutes ago, xineohp said:

Islam recognizes NO law & order, only the word of Allah, and Mohammed his (paedophile) messenger.

Additionally, the ABSOLUTE hallmark of Islam-inspired attacks, has been one of attacking soft targets.

Think;

London, Somalie migrant goes on stabbing spree.

Thailand (recently), in Yala a 42 yr old man is ambused & killed by Muslim separatists.

Thailand (recently), in Pattani, two hunters are killed on the ir way home by Muslim separatists.

France, mother and three young daughters are stabbed by a Muslim man during breakfast, for not being 'sufficiently clothed'.

Germany, a refugee with an axe hacks people on a public train.

France (Nice), Muslim migrant hits 85 people in a truck during Bastille Day.

And Patong, poorly populated? Are you for friken real???

And for everyone else - the fact that the bombs may not have been big mean absolutely F. A. - they were big enough to maim & kill, were they not?

So please try to think, before you comment. Or people may think you are stupid.

Edited by NotMyUsualid

PM asked the media not to sensationalise the attacks today, and this headline is about as sensational and even worse blatantly inaccurate as it comes. 

Stalingrad was under Seige

Saigon was under seige

Thailand has had 8-10 devices go off/found in a "Region" that historically has them going off every day,  last week or a week or two back, there was a day when Yala had 12 or so devices found/go off.

It wasn't under siege then either.