PM told media not to sensationalize bomb attacks

webfact

12 hours ago, djjamie said:

Wise words. At least he didn't shirk his responsibilities and hide up north when things heated up and tell them this from his Facebook page.

The timing is certainly an indication that the violent minority being bitter about record tourist numbers as indicated by offical 3rd party entity figures is at work again to main, kill and create fear amongst their own people. 

Who can really blame the majority for voting for this charter after witnessing what this violent group is willing to do. If they had the vote again it would no doubt be a lot higher result for the charter.

Well done Prayut for standing up and speaking to the people.

12 hours ago, djjamie said:

Wise words. At least he didn't shirk his responsibilities and hide up north when things heated up and tell them this from his Facebook page.

The timing is certainly an indication that the violent minority being bitter about record tourist numbers as indicated by offical 3rd party entity figures is at work again to main, kill and create fear amongst their own people. 

Who can really blame the majority for voting for this charter after witnessing what this violent group is willing to do. If they had the vote again it would no doubt be a lot higher result for the charter.

Roughly 61% of those who voted chose to enact the constitution. Yet, according to one poll, only about 3% of the population bothered to read it in full.

The ultimate outcome would likely have been similar even if voters rejected the new constitution. If the majority voted “no,” junta leaders said, they’d just come up with another system of their own design.

And i suppose in your mind the fact that it was illegal to discuss or debate the contents of the draft constitution but was ok fot the EC to send hundreds of thousands of people out to discuss it, selectively of course.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, djjamie said:

why is there no "laugh at this" button on the new system?

guess it's time for the old stand-by, .... 

:cheesy::cheesy:

4 hours ago, Hawk said:

So 16 million people are not a minority?  Just because half the population never bothered to vote it still does not mean that a majority said yes, in fact it still shows that only a minority said yes.  It seems to mean that the majority who did not vote were simply showing their dislike and boredum with the whole military onesideness of the non debatable charter.

couple of things - one, the entire vote was a sham, not because of the obvious undemocratic, human-rights violation-filled lead-up to the vote, but because an up/down vote on a document drafted only by the military has no legitimacy, nor does the document itself. 

Forcing through a yes vote on a turd is a sad attempt to spray-paint the turd and say "look, it's not a turd!".... 

The other point is that a yes/no, single issue vote under martial law / Art 44 / Military junta has nothing to do with a normal, regulated election for a democratic government with 40 different parties participating. Any one who tries to draw a meaningful comparison between the two, as the other poster did, should have their head examined... :coffee1:

become a good host for foreign tourists.

A good host doesn't look down on his guests and sees them as filthy scum who need to be tracked and monitored 24/7 you stupid hypocritical numbnut.  Thailand does give a rats for tourists it's just their wallets they are after.

18 hours ago, FourAces said:

"strive to become a good host for foreign tourists"

Meaning ; give them a racist tag e.g Farung, Jek, Caak, then rip them off and if they complain about it tell everyone that the Farung is making problem for the Thai people again.

And track them by phone,  just in case they are up to terrorist activities. 

9 hours ago, Hawk said:

So 16 million people are not a minority?  Just because half the population never bothered to vote it still does not mean that a majority said yes, in fact it still shows that only a minority said yes.  It seems to mean that the majority who did not vote were simply showing their dislike and boredum with the whole military onesideness of the non debatable charter.

As I shown in my calculation those 16 million are more then the people that ever voted PTP and you were happy to have them in a government. Double standards anyone. And taking the whole 65 million (forgetting that not all are eligible to vote) and taking out those who did not care to vote (their mistake, you dont vote then you dont count) is calculating things your way. I just shown with real figures that more people voted YES to this referendum then people voted PTP in the last election. Just to put things into perspective. Guess you don't like that. 

18 hours ago, robblok said:

Sure it would be the best (for the government) if they could blame TS. I am not so sure they would fabricate evidence, but I agree 100% that for the current government it would be best if they can link it to TS. Especially after they just claimed a few days ago that the problems in the South are decreasing. 

I have no Idea who has done it but the two options I see are TS and the insurgents and for now my money is on the insurgents until proven otherwise. 

But whoever did it they do have a good organisation to have 8 of those bombs going off, I know too little about the insurgents if they could have pulled it off or not. 

I would doubt if TS has anything to do with these attacks. More likely they waited until the could see the outcome of the referendum. Many Thai's are not happy with the situation that exists.

For a long time there has been an undercurrent which could lead to what has been described as a civil war a bit dramatic I agree but who really knows the reason behind these actions.

Edited by gandalf12
Spelling error

On 8/12/2016 at 1:15 AM, robblok said:

Its his job to find them, not the job of the press. 

The little general comes from a figurative leadership position in a military that has never been tested and resorted to live fire zones in lieu of diplomacy.

He may be the only governmental figurehead in the world that is more inept than Obama in his mom jeans and helmet on his tricycle.

On 13/08/2016 at 4:35 AM, Thechook said:

become a good host for foreign tourists.

A good host doesn't look down on his guests and sees them as filthy scum who need to be tracked and monitored 24/7 you stupid hypocritical numbnut.  Thailand does give a rats for tourists it's just their wallets they are after.

Perhaps the chips should be in tourists' wallets, not mobiles ? :lol:

As free people the media through out most of the world will ignore a junta leaders directive .

People online can decide to confront others thinking of going to Thailand with ""real life "" images of the unrest there. ( including bombing aftermath s ) 

The real news story and sensational facts are Thailand isn't a safe selection anymore for travellers 

Some are unaware it's under military iron fist rule and potentially a powder keg

image.jpg

Edited by Plutojames88

12 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Perhaps the chips should be in tourists' wallets, not mobiles ? :lol:

I could be a total outlier or typical; not sure. I would not consider being in Thailand now. Average westerner I suppose. Happy to find a place to spend $75k/yr on rent and hospitality. So much more value in central Vietnam right now. I will always have a soft spot for Thailand but i will wait for military to be ousted.

9 hours ago, VN4now said:

I could be a total outlier or typical; not sure. I would not consider being in Thailand now. Average westerner I suppose. Happy to find a place to spend $75k/yr on rent and hospitality. So much more value in central Vietnam right now. I will always have a soft spot for Thailand but i will wait for military to be ousted.

I think the junta are more likely to step down, in favour of a limited-democracy, than actually be ousted by force, at least that seems to have been the pattern in the past ?

Many of us have family or homes here, so can't relocate so easily, I agree that some newcomers or people contemplating moving here might be put off, but personally I'm fairly sanguine about it all after living here for more than a decade. This too will pass IME.

Things here are peaceful overall, certainly more so than towards the end of the Yingluck/PTP-government, and unless you live in one of those areas of the South (or perhaps Bangkok) where bombs sometimes go off, I wouldn't/don't feel threatened by the fact that the current government is military rather than elected.

Perhaps you're influenced by seeing things from outside the country, the media do love a good fear-story, or influenced more than I am (I've lived/worked in dictatorships in Africa & the Middle-East) by your own home-country culture's (doubtless negative) view of military-governments ?

Whatever, Good Luck wherever you end up ! :wai2:

On 8/15/2016 at 7:42 AM, Ricardo said:

Perhaps you're influenced by seeing things from outside the country, the media do love a good fear-story, or influenced more than I am (I've lived/worked in dictatorships in Africa & the Middle-East) by your own home-country culture's (doubtless negative) view of military-governments ?

I am sure if I had family, work etc. in the Kingdom, I would just go about my life in Thailand and ignore the "noise".  But I can't see why one would subject themselves to this military government and their peccadillos if they had a choice. 

1 hour ago, VN4now said:

I am sure if I had family, work etc. in the Kingdom, I would just go about my life in Thailand and ignore the "noise".  But I can't see why one would subject themselves to this military government and their peccadillos if they had a choice. 

But all governments have their funny little ways, the UK (my country-of-origin) has all sorts of strange views & laws on how its citizens should be behaving, I just keep a low-profile and get on with living my life when I'm there on holiday or family-visits.

For example if the traffic-cops catch you speeding, you are discouraged from paying a cash-fine on-the-spot, and you're not permitted to drive a motorbike in the wrong direction on the wrong side of the road, weird eh ? ! :rolleyes: 

And I am taxed on any income I generate in the UK, and travel on a UK-passport, but I can't vote in elections because I've been away too long, so much for alleged-democracy ! :facepalm:

You mentioned liking Vietnam, as a place to live, I've not yet been there but isn't that still a communist country  ...  who'd subject themselves to that  ...  unless in fact you're still able to get on and live a reasonable life, as we can here ?

No, Thailand has its peccadilloes like everywhere else, the current government isn't really very onerous, I am happy to stay on knowing that things will soon change, they always do.