Should we worry about bombs in Pattaya ?

balo

4 minutes ago, dcnx said:

It's a quite large man purse. :-)

Haven't been into Insomnia in ages, moved out of Pattaya. Perhaps the searching is new and Pattaya specific? I don't have any issues when I'm out and about.

That said, I'm in Chiang Mai right now. We have a new mall here called Maya. The best the police could do is set up a tent out front and have a small group sitting in chairs, while a few army lads took photos of each other inside the market directly in front of the mall, where I may add, had Thais carrying boxes and containers, without the army or police giving them a second glance, and they allowed motobikes to park directly in front of the mall and market, while the people parked and walked away. Not a care in the world for security.

A convoy of higher ups pulled up outside the mall as we were leaving and it was all, khup, khup, khup, Na khup, khup, and salutes. Photo op was in session, pics all around, and off the convoy went. 

Then we rode up to the main gate where, you guessed it, the convoy went. It was another photo op, loads of police snapping pics and lining up, road block signs set up, sponsored by Toyota, massive traffic jams, and not a care in the world about security. Another pony show.

Watching these two things made me understand just how clueless these guys are, the police and military. The things they are allowing people to do is absurd, and they are just there for photos and to wave cars through a sponsored road check. I could have easily blown that market, the mall, a Starbucks, McDonald's, and a very large group of police and military, to bits, if I were a terrorist.

I was embarrassed for them. They honestly don't know what to do. It's no wonder they can't stop it down south if this is how they operate down there. 

May be you along with all the yellow card holders can offer them assistance , after all in the West we are all so successful at stopping terror attacks,bombings and mass shootings.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Exactly. At the door can do massive amounts of damage and kill plenty. Hell, just in the middle of the street during peak hours on Walking Street, it would be a blood bath. No need to step foot inside anywhere.

That's probably why these amatures planted bombs in Hua Hin outside bars with hardly many people around .

if only they could get expert advice from so many experts here on how to bomb and how to prevent 

Pattaya has their "entertainment" areas spread over a wide range of sois.  Even Walking Street is quite a large area.  Hua Hin has only a few, small areas where foreigners go to enjoy the night. Chances are pretty slim of any one person being in the wrong place at the wrong time...in Pattaya.

However, I did read that most of the clubs, restaurants and shopping mall have been shut down for now (in Hua Hin).   It would only take a few bombs on Walking Street (Pattaya). or any of the other sois, to have this effect.

Brave or not, choices of going out have been limited in Hua Hin.  Pattaya folk have had no restrictions put on their personal choices.  I would not fear physical damage, should I choose to go to some "entertainment" areas.....as much as I would fear some wide spread closures, shorter hours, checkpoints, and shakedowns.  However, I would tend to spend more time in the less popular "areas"...just for a few nights. Not saying anyone else needs to do the same.

Edited by slipperylobster

1 hour ago, volka said:

May be you along with all the yellow card holders can offer them assistance , after all in the West we are all so successful at stopping terror attacks,bombings and mass shootings.

What does the west have to do with the Thai police doing absolutely nothing tonight to secure the mall or another main tourist attraction? Taking selfies doesn't count as working towards keeping people safe.

I would have stayed there all night and helped them if they would have listened to me. Common sense things like don't allow people to park motobikes directly in front of the mall, or take a second to open any number of boxes and containers going into the market, also in front of the mall's main door, or even bothering to check bags as people enter the mall. ANYTHING would have been good. But they took photos of each other and sat around under a tent instead. They did so because they don't know what to do. So yea, give me a yellow card, or whatever nonsense you're talking about and I'll show them a few things that anyone with just a little common sense should already be doing. But doing nothing at all, is just begging for more trouble. 

1 hour ago, volka said:

That's probably why these amatures planted bombs in Hua Hin outside bars with hardly many people around .

if only they could get expert advice from so many experts here on how to bomb and how to prevent 

Because they are amateurs and/or incompetent, or they never intended to harm in the first place. Pick one.

You never read The Anarchist Cookbook as a kid and built pipe bombs? It's not that difficult to do some serious damage with a well made pipe bomb, or even worse, a pressure cooker bomb. 

The Boston bomber used a pressure cooker and we all know how that turned out. They carried them in back packs. Such a device set off in a bar, restaurant, or mall would be catastrophic. 

None of this is news or even difficult to make. Which makes it even more surprising that there are not more harmed or killed when someone here sets one off. And that leads me right back to incompetence OR they make an effort just to scare people and try not to hurt too many. It's one thing to make a bomb, anyone can do that, but it takes a certain type of person to want to kill other people with it.

3 hours ago, volka said:

so you are yet another yellow card holder?

please do state the obvious, i do not have a yellow card yet

What is the point of this "yellow card" nonsense you keep repeating?

No, I'm not going to state obvious. If you're over 12 you should be able to work it out for yourself. I'll give you a gold star if you manage.

Edited by tropo

11 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I put this question to the Thai wife and her answer, The places were targeted because of political leanings and a high yes vote. So Pattaya is maybe a little safer. Udon Thani more so. 

Pattaya 68% yes vote. 

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There's a worldwide threat of terrorism.  Thailand and Pattaya are no different.

But most people on this site live in Thailand and so are obviously worried and are discussing, rightly, whether Pattaya could be another target. Your comments are about as useful as an ash-tray on a motorbike.

4 hours ago, volka said:

I get what you're saying. However, CM is a long way from Hua Hin, so I can understand the cops up there not being on high alert........yet.

7 hours ago, dcnx said:

... I would have stayed there all night and helped them if they would have listened to me. Common sense things like don't allow people to park motobikes directly in front of the mall, or take a second to open any number of boxes and containers going into the market, also in front of the mall's main door, or even bothering to check bags as people enter the mall. ANYTHING would have been good. But they took photos of each other and sat around under a tent instead. They did so because they don't know what to do. So yea, give me a yellow card, or whatever nonsense you're talking about and I'll show them a few things that anyone with just a little common sense should already be doing. But doing nothing at all, is just begging for more trouble. 

And once you have that sorted out, you can tackle the thousands of roadside tents, chock full of police, public safety guys and others that sit eating, yapping, FB'ing or sleeping during every Songkran "7 days of death" celebration.

In case you've missed it.... and I think you have, this is Thailand, the land of closed stable doors and bolting horses.

11 hours ago, NCFC said:

On post #94 he writes:

"You cant walk into any disco in thailand with a backpack....on waking street everyone is frisked".

You an english teacher I presume….or a pedant?

The second part of my sentence is referencing the first….I am of course referring to the discos on walking street….808, Insomnia/iBar, Red Car.

Ive never been frisked at Marine, though.

Nothing like the smell of cordite in the morning to get the plebes hypothesizing, quivering, and commiserating.  You ought to run to your local and seek the advice of the former covert-ops bar-flies—they surely have a plan.

11 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

This thread has attracted a fair number of ex green berets, seals and sas already. 

Speculation, pure speculation. The Real Deals, not the pretenders do not generally advertise their backgrounds.. However if you are convinced that ex Spacial Forces are posting on here, then I would be sorely tempted to read and listen to what they have to say, experience comes in very handy

Just now, DipStick said:

Speculation, pure speculation. The Real Deals, not the pretenders do not generally advertise their backgrounds.. However if you are convinced that ex Spacial Forces are posting on here, then I would be sorely tempted to read and listen to what they have to say, experience comes in very handy

Don't you know that they are mercenaries….some of them operate covertly in the middle east and africa (and sometimes, naklua)…they will not get out of bed unless you can cover their fee.

The biggest threat in Pattaya is a fire in the crowded discos and go gos or some of the higher hotels.  The emergency exits, if you can even see or find them are usually are locked or blocked so people can't sneak in or out.   Could there be some bombings?  Of course, that can happen anywhere.  But it is like airplane skyjackings.  Thousands of flights a day, thousands of venues and streets in Pattaya.

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

You an english teacher I presume….or a pedant?

The second part of my sentence is referencing the first….I am of course referring to the discos on walking street….808, Insomnia/iBar, Red Car.

Ive never been frisked at Marine, though.

Maybe not, but have you tried going in wearing a backpack.

May I suggest if they start letting people in wearing backpacks it could be time to give discos a miss. Your ears will thank you for it, so it's not all bad.

Edited by tropo

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And once you have that sorted out, you can tackle the thousands of roadside tents, chock full of police, public safety guys and others that sit eating, yapping, FB'ing or sleeping during every Songkran "7 days of death" celebration.

In case you've missed it.... and I think you have, this is Thailand, the land of closed stable doors and bolting horses.

Try to stay focused. 

Pointing out obvious dangers around tourist destinations after bomb attacks has nothing to do with Songkran or any other time. Even 7-11 is smart enough to remove their trash bins during times like this, which is a smart move. It's those tiny things that add up to a large effort. 

I personally don't care if thousands die on the road over their holidays, because I don't drive then and the Thais know better anyway. That's simply natural selection. But I do go to the mall, and walk around tourist areas, so it does bother me to see nothing, literally nothing being done to secure those areas just a little. ANY effort would be appreciated. Perhaps they should outsource public safety to 7-11.

On August 12, 2016 at 2:11 AM, Pattaya28 said:

Whether Islamic Terrorists or Thai Political Activists, Pattaya, in my view, would be high on the "target list". 

That Yellow bunch are connected to the south not the Pattaya area.

20 hours ago, volka said:

half of those tourists do not go into clubs, especially the backpack carrying ones:thumbsup:

Who in the right mind would carry a backpack into a club anyway? Would look pretty strange & silly lol. And if you do, the bouncers would have a good look at it with their flashlight just like they do in the ladies purses, not to mention all guys get frisked well by them. I can also guarantee you it's way less than 0.5% of the populations hitting up the clubs.

3 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Who in the right mind would carry a backpack into a club anyway? Would look pretty strange & silly lol. And if you do, the bouncers would have a good look at it with their flashlight just like they do in the ladies purses, not to mention all guys get frisked well by them. I can also guarantee you it's way less than 0.5% of the populations hitting up the clubs.

Surprisingly I was able to carry a back pack and carry luggage onto the BTS and MRT without much scrutiny. One time it was just a quick glance - other times no check at all. Perhaps they were profiling me. I walked into Terminal 21 in Bangkok with a loaded back pack. Are their scanners so sophisticated that manual inspections aren't necessary?

Edited by tropo

"The three police units have been asking hotels, apartments and houses rented by foreign nationals to check their customers' and tenants' identification documents. If necessary, identification information should be sent to authorities."

Something I found funny in this article because surely it can't be a Thai person therefore no need to check the Thai person's ID: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/security/1060860/police-step-up-security-measures

19 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

"The three police units have been asking hotels, apartments and houses rented by foreign nationals to check their customers' and tenants' identification documents. If necessary, identification information should be sent to authorities."

Something I found funny in this article because surely it can't be a Thai person therefore no need to check the Thai person's ID: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/security/1060860/police-step-up-security-measures

Makes you wonder….are they born stupid…or just raised that way?

20 hours ago, tropo said:

Surprisingly I was able to carry a back pack and carry luggage onto the BTS and MRT without much scrutiny. One time it was just a quick glance - other times no check at all. Perhaps they were profiling me. I walked into Terminal 21 in Bangkok with a loaded back pack. Are their scanners so sophisticated that manual inspections aren't necessary?

They took one look at you Tropo.........and thought 'not messin with this guy':blink:

On 12/08/2016 at 9:30 PM, The manic said:

The IRA succeeded in changing the face of Britain and bombing their way into political power. They won just as Muslim terrorists are winning in Europe as did the stern gang win in Israel and the ANC in South Africa.

Absolute rubish I'm afraid to say your very ill informed