Should we worry about bombs in Pattaya ?

balo

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To bring down the government revenue, sure Pattaya is a big target that will deter all the group tour coming to this town, WS, South Pattaya, Central shopping mall both north and beach road is also a possible target, had always avoided WS during the festivities. Beware of the surrounding and avoid tourist spot. Pattaya is just as vulnerable as anywhere in Thailand.

8 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

I agree WS + Beach Rd are obvious targets.

And yes, I think we should be worried.I

Beach Road is an unlikely target as it's 3km long with fairly sparse foot traffic. Walking Street would be the only obvious target. With so many side alley entrances and motorcycle parking right next to it, it would be a no-brainer for anyone wanting to inflict major carnage. If foreigners are the target, it would present one of the best opportunities in Thailand. I wouldn't be going anywhere near there right now.

Edited by tropo

31 minutes ago, capdagde said:

Two choices:

Stay at home quaking in your boots and let "them" win

OR

Keep calm and carry on..... Wrong place at the wrong time?  Tough luck.

I know what my family are doing......

Just 2 choices? LOL. There's a whole myriad of choices to make other than "quaking in your boots" at home. Staying away from densely populated areas is not all that difficult. Easy for me as I hate crowds.

Some of us have other people that rely on us to stay alive and don't wish to leave things up to "tough luck".

Edited by tropo

8 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

I agree WS + Beach Rd are obvious targets.

And yes, I think we should be worried.I

But... knowing the Thai style of driving... I would worry about that a 10,000 x more...

25 minutes ago, tropo said:

Just 2 choices? LOL. There's a whole myriad of choices to make other than "quaking in your boots" at home. Staying away from densely populated areas is not all that difficult. Easy for me as I hate crowds.

Some of us have other people that rely on us to stay alive and don't wish to leave things up to "tough luck".

So you give up, you let some terrorist bomber  tell you where you can go. This is sad day! 

1 hour ago, whitemouse said:

No! French go about their day like they did before mass murders by Islmamists.

But try to stay on topic, topic is Islamic terror act in Pattaya, and I'm suggesting we should ignore the fear mongerers here, and go about your day! 

I'm willing to bet that any one of us stands much higher chance of being robbed and assaulted by a local criminal on Beach Rd and Walking St than being victim of a terrorist act.

But stay at home if you must lol. 

Not quite, they have cancelled the huge market that normally takes place in Lille next month.

I would agree with what you say, ISIS attacks are generally against those involved in the ME conflict, China has a lot more to fear than Thailand.

The number of incidents relative to the number of casualties here does not indicate a serious attempt at sensationalism, more like a warning to the government with collateral damage. The perpetrators have received international media coverage with relatively low loss of life.

Thailand has many soft targets , Pattaya being one of them, and they could very easily have gained the same coverage with a single incident.

14 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

So you give up, you let some terrorist bomber  tell you where you can go. This is sad day! 

Talk about melodrama... I never go to Walking Street anyway, so it's no sacrifice for me. Didn't I already say I hate crowded places? I hate the place.

What would be sad is that anyone's enjoyment of life in Pattaya depends on them spending their time populating the already overcrowded Walking Street.

15 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

This thread has attracted a fair number of ex green berets, seals and sas already. 

do not forget the yellow card holder

and funny enough all the hero's prefer hiding out even thought they are not even in thailand or in vicinity:whistling:

2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Try walking into insomnia or 808 with yer fanny pack and theyll give you a nice patting down....everyone gets it....funnily thai girls dont. 

Half the tourists on Walking Street are carrying backpacks. Don't kid me that they are all being frisked.

1 minute ago, NCFC said:

Half the tourists on Walking Street are carrying backpacks. Don't kid me that they are all being frisked.

half of those tourists do not go into clubs, especially the backpack carrying ones:thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, volka said:

half of those tourists do not go into clubs, especially the backpack carrying ones:thumbsup:

The poster claimed that all backpackers on Walking Street are frisked, which is BS. And from claiming that those entering clubs with packs are also searched he is now backtracking by stating that Thai girls are not searched. We really can do without BS derailing threads.

1 minute ago, NCFC said:

The poster claimed that all backpackers on Walking Street are frisked, which is BS. And from claiming that those entering clubs with packs are also searched he is now backtracking by stating that Thai girls are not searched. We really can do without BS derailing threads.

poster claimed that anyone GOING INTO A CLUB is frisked, poster never stated anyone on walking street is frisked.

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

Why do you think a bomb must be exploded in a club?

why do you think it should not ? is there some rule to where bombs can be placed? or are you another yellow card holder with extensive experience and knowledge?

2 minutes ago, volka said:

why do you think it should not ? is there some rule to where bombs can be placed? or are you another yellow card holder with extensive experience and knowledge?

Many reasons why it would be very unlikely. Do I need to state to obvious, or can you work it out for yourself.

3 minutes ago, volka said:

poster claimed that anyone GOING INTO A CLUB is frisked, poster never stated anyone on walking street is frisked.

On post #94 he writes:

"You cant walk into any disco in thailand with a backpack....on waking street everyone is frisked".

There are folks who may be reading threads in order to estimate where it is safe to go and where it is not safe. When posters chuck in random misinformation they are doing no one a favour.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

Many reasons why it would be very unlikely. Do I need to state to obvious, or can you work it out for yourself.

so you are yet another yellow card holder?

please do state the obvious, i do not have a yellow card yet

Edited by volka

1 minute ago, NCFC said:

On post #94 he writes:

"You cant walk into any disco in thailand with a backpack....on waking street everyone is frisked".

There are folks who may be reading threads in order to estimate where it is safe to go and where it is not safe. When posters chuck in random misinformation they are doing no one a favour.

those posters would be idiots if they thought they could estimate where and if the bomb could be placed

If anyone could estimate then there would be no bombs

Poster was responding to another who claimed anyone can walk into a club with a backpack and if you bother to read the whole sentence, instead of a random word, it clearly refers to those walking INTO club

9 minutes ago, volka said:

those posters would be idiots if they thought they could estimate where and if the bomb could be placed

If anyone could estimate then there would be no bombs

Poster was responding to another who claimed anyone can walk into a club with a backpack and if you bother to read the whole sentence, instead of a random word, it clearly refers to those walking INTO club

People with better information make more informed choices. Folks with plans to travel to Thailand are highly likely to be searching the internet for that good information, they are not idiots as you claim. 

And if you read the thread properly you will find the poster responded to a post I initially made. 

1 minute ago, NCFC said:

People with better information make more informed choices. Folks with plans to travel to Thailand are highly likely to be searching the internet for that good information, they are not idiots as you claim. 

And if you read the thread properly you will find the poster responded to a post I initially made. 

yeah bombers usually issue advice on where, what time and when

3 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Try walking into insomnia or 808 with yer fanny pack and theyll give you a nice patting down....everyone gets it....funnily thai girls dont. 

It's a quite large man purse. :-)

Haven't been into Insomnia in ages, moved out of Pattaya. Perhaps the searching is new and Pattaya specific? I don't have any issues when I'm out and about.

That said, I'm in Chiang Mai right now. We have a new mall here called Maya. The best the police could do is set up a tent out front and have a small group sitting in chairs, while a few army lads took photos of each other inside the market directly in front of the mall, where I may add, had Thais carrying boxes and containers, without the army or police giving them a second glance, and they allowed motobikes to park directly in front of the mall and market, while the people parked and walked away. Not a care in the world for security.

A convoy of higher ups pulled up outside the mall as we were leaving and it was all, khup, khup, khup, Na khup, khup, and salutes. Photo op was in session, pics all around, and off the convoy went. 

Then we rode up to the main gate where, you guessed it, the convoy went. It was another photo op, loads of police snapping pics and lining up, road block signs set up, sponsored by Toyota, massive traffic jams, and not a care in the world about security. Another pony show.

Watching these two things made me understand just how clueless these guys are, the police and military. The things they are allowing people to do is absurd, and they are just there for photos and to wave cars through a sponsored road check. I could have easily blown that market, the mall, a Starbucks, McDonald's, and a very large group of police and military, to bits, if I were a terrorist.

I was embarrassed for them. They honestly don't know what to do. It's no wonder they can't stop it down south if this is how they operate down there. 

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Why do you think a bomb must be exploded in a club?

Exactly. At the door can do massive amounts of damage and kill plenty. Hell, just in the middle of the street during peak hours on Walking Street, it would be a blood bath. No need to step foot inside anywhere.