Should we worry about bombs in Pattaya ?

balo

16 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Eeek, dang forum is acting up with triple quotes. 

Not so much the quadruple posts but the tripe at the end. Army versus redshirts on Pratumnak? Property damage? Killed tourism for years?

When the red shirts kicked in the glass doors at the Royal Cliff Beach Convention Center and the then PM and foreign ASEAN dignitaries had to be evacuated by helicopters? Don't recall much happening to tourism after that. Lot's of local resident foreigners thought it may be the end of the world but to be honest nobody else did.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Caps said:

You are missing the point, people should stop flapping, you have more chance of being run over or involved in a vehicle accident in Thailand

How bizarre that you think I am flapping.

Nothing could be further from the truth,

What a pity that you seem unable to comprehend simple English.

It is plausible to escape a motor vehicle, it is highly implausible that one will escape a covert bomb.

Something you might be aware of if you had ever served in the British Army

Edited by SgtRock

2 hours ago, NCFC said:

One suicide bomber with a backpack walking into a crowded bar or disco or WS in the high season would cause serious carnage. 

You cant walk into any disco in thailand with a backpack....on waking street everyone is frisked. 

Personnel security 101 advises you to avoid area's where large crowds gather and vary your daily/weekly pattern (don't do the same thing at the same time every day).

Also, as globally we are faced with "terrorism", there are a lot of copy-cat type situations.  If something looks susipious or not right, use your smart phone to document and report the incident to the appropriate officials.    

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Not so much the quadruple posts but the tripe at the end. Army versus redshirts on Pratumnak? Property damage? Killed tourism for years?

When the red shirts kicked in the glass doors at the Royal Cliff Beach Convention Center and the then PM and foreign ASEAN dignitaries had to be evacuated by helicopters? Don't recall much happening to tourism after that. Lot's of local resident foreigners thought it may be the end of the world but to be honest nobody else did.

Yep, tourism to Pattaya was very slow for about a year after that. 

And yes, they did more than kick in the glass doors. Saw it with my own eyes, I lived at the top of Pratamnak and they squared off in front of my building. The army was shooting tear gas at them, the reds were throwing Molotov cocktails, bottles, rocks and spears! 

1 hour ago, SgtRock said:

How bizarre that you think I am flapping.

Nothing could be further from the truth,

What a pity that you seem unable to comprehend simple English.

It is plausible to escape a motor vehicle, it is highly implausible that one will escape a covert bomb.

Something you might be aware of if you had ever served in the British Army

I have, 22 years and not a REMF.  Clearly you need to get some glasses as I didn't say you...did I?  Comprehend the english

I also never said anything about avoiding, I said you had more chance of getting run over or being involved in an RTC.  Statistically a true fact.  Comprehend the english!

Please don't fill me with your pears of wisdom as I will think even more that you were a Lance Comical who thinks he should have been an RSM judging by the last sentence :thumbsup:....

Banter

Nec aspera terrent

Edited by Caps

18 minutes ago, Caps said:

I have, 22 years and not a REMF.  Clearly you need to get some glasses as I didn't say you...did I?  Comprehend the english

I also never said anything about avoiding, I said you had more chance of getting run over or being involved in an RTC.  Statistically a true fact.  Comprehend the english!

As the response was to my post, it was a fair assumption it was aimed at me.

But as you claim to have 22 years under your belt, What does the yellow card say ?

I do not need anything, perhaps you do.

Just for the benefit of any doubt, it is quite easy to remove oneself from the direction of a moving vehicle, ( ask Lee Clegg ) it is quite a feat to remove oneself from the direction of a covert bomb blast.

Might be a good time to heed your own advice. Comprehend English.

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

You cant walk into any disco in thailand with a backpack....on waking street everyone is frisked. 

Maybe we don't live in the same Thailand. I always have on a little pack, never have anyone ask to see inside of it, unless I'm at the airport. Not in malls, not in discos, and not on the BTS or MRT. 

4 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

As the response was to my post, it was a fair assumption it was aimed at me.

But as you claim to have 22 years under your belt, What does the yellow card say ?

I do not need anything, perhaps you do.

Just for the benefit of any doubt, it is quite easy to remove oneself from the direction of a moving vehicle, ( ask Lee Clegg ) it is quite a feat to remove oneself from the direction of a covert bomb blast.

Might be a good time to heed your own advice. Comprehend English.

Remove oneself from the direction of moving vehicle you say?

https://www.facebook.com/tim.johns.37604/videos/750802988396229/

Edited by volka

The Thai authorities insist that these bombings are not terrorism related.The woman tourist minister was on CNN tonight and she seemed like she had been told what to say.And she sounded positively pathetic.It was all bloody lies.She said that the bombings were related to the areas that had said yes to the referendum, It was strange,however,that the bombings were all in places that had said yes.
ive been saying for years that this part of Asia is weak in security and is a prime target for terrorists.I still think back to that time when that airport had an electrical failure and the boss there let 3,000 people breeze through immigration without being checked.His answer was,that wer no concerns as all these tourists had arrived with tour groups.How naive is that.i wonder how many of those 3,000 were breathing with relief knowing they werent going to be checked.How many Mustaphers got throgh on that occasion?

You might notice that Hua-Hin and Phuket have Southern associations, you might also notice that both are high status destinations (Hua-Hin through association with the King, Phuket through it's association with "quality" tourists). So the probability that Pattaya will be hit is probably rather low. To be honest, who would give a sh#t.

8 minutes ago, nausea said:

You might notice that Hua-Hin and Phuket have Southern associations, you might also notice that both are high status destinations (Hua-Hin through association with the King, Phuket through it's association with "quality" tourists). So the probability that Pattaya will be hit is probably rather low. To be honest, who would give a sh#t.

The entire country, every international news source, and most decent people would give a sh*t if the body count was high. I can imagine some people are already reconsidering the purchase of tickets to Thailand right now. 

15 minutes ago, nausea said:

If you had a clue about Thailand you'd know who lives in Pattaya. 

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sarcasm?
If not, that's absurd.

While there is an obvious Thai political implication to attacks in Hua Hin, these were more general attacks in beach tourism areas and Hua Hin is NOT in South Thailand.

So anyone that doesn't see that Pattaya is a strong potential target of the same forces is being a silly ostrich. 

I'm not suggesting that people change their behavior. That's a personal decision. Certainly panicking doesn't help anybody. But to deny the threat is irrational. 

All that I can think of that people can do is to report any suspicious activity that looks like people planting bombs ... left packages, etc. 

What is absurd?

What exactly are you doing  differently today than what you did yesterday? Don't go for walk on Beach Rd?

Why spread panic, and claim we are somehow now in danger, while we are not in more danger than week ago?

Hysteria and fear is what gives those scumbags upper hand, don't help them by spreading fear! If we let some extremist dictate how we spend our day, they have won. Be like French people - tell em to go F themselves! 

Edited by whitemouse

Well, I agree, I don't have a clue. Who is this mysterious person who lives in Pattaya. Don't answer, I can guess. I also agree, if the body count was high, it would be big news. My point is, if I was choosing a a target, Pattaya wouldn't be my first choice

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Maybe we don't live in the same Thailand. I always have on a little pack, never have anyone ask to see inside of it, unless I'm at the airport. Not in malls, not in discos, and not on the BTS or MRT. 

Try walking into insomnia or 808 with yer fanny pack and theyll give you a nice patting down....everyone gets it....funnily thai girls dont. 

7 hours ago, Franky Bear said:

I think it is a big target. Myself and friends have talk about this many times over the years. it's not a case of "if" it's more when.

Hopefully we are wrong.

Yes it is a potential target. I habe often thought they need better security in GoGos. I'm tired of seeing Asians with back packs in bars just casually allowed in. After decades of the Irish bombing campaigns in Britain  and living in the ME you notice such things. There's no reason to have a back pack on a bar or night club.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

If you stop doing what you like doing or if you change your plans, then the terrorists have won. It's what they want disruption on threat. IRA TRIED it all the time without success. Me I will as planed go south on holiday next week

The IRA succeeded in changing the face of Britain and bombing their way into political power. They won just as Muslim terrorists are winning in Europe as did the stern gang win in Israel and the ANC in South Africa.

11 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

What is absurd?

What exactly are you doing  differently today than what you did yesterday? Don't go for walk on Beach Rd?

Why spread panic, and claim we are somehow now in danger, while we are not in more danger than week ago?

Hysteria and fear is what gives those scumbags upper hand, don't help them by spreading fear! If we let some extremist dictate how we spend our day, they have won. Be like French people - tell em to go F themselves! 

The French have yielded to Islamic terror and admitted it can not be controlled and is now a permanent part of French life. The German and Belgium authorities have said the same. Everywhere from airport queues, security lines - armed police patrolling the streets - many legal and privacy rights suspended-The terrorists are winning and they know it. They are changing our culture and daily life just by normalising terror and political religious murder in the west just as it is in their own countries. France is lost.

19 minutes ago, The manic said:

Yes it is a potential target. I habe often thought they need better security in GoGos. I'm tired of seeing Asians with back packs in bars just casually allowed in. After decades of the Irish bombing campaigns in Britain  and living in the ME you notice such things. There's no reason to have a back pack on a bar or night club.

yeah i hear you mate. Been doing the ME for 25 years also.

4 minutes ago, The manic said:

The French have yielded to Islamic terror and admitted it can not be controlled and is now a permanent part of French life. The German and Belgium authorities have said the same. Everywhere from airport queues, security lines - armed police patrolling the streets - many legal and privacy rights suspended-The terrorists are winning and they know it. They are changing our culture and daily life just by normalising terror and political religious murder in the west just as it is in their own countries. France is lost.

No! French go about their day like they did before mass murders by Islmamists.

But try to stay on topic, topic is Islamic terror act in Pattaya, and I'm suggesting we should ignore the fear mongerers here, and go about your day! 

I'm willing to bet that any one of us stands much higher chance of being robbed and assaulted by a local criminal on Beach Rd and Walking St than being victim of a terrorist act.

But stay at home if you must lol. 

7 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There's a worldwide threat of terrorism.  Thailand and Pattaya are no different.

Two choices:

Stay at home quaking in your boots and let "them" win

OR

Keep calm and carry on..... Wrong place at the wrong time?  Tough luck.

I know what my family are doing......