Should we worry about bombs in Pattaya ?

balo

Both Hua Hin and Phuket have been hit and other provinces but Pattaya seems to go clear ,  should we worry ?  

Maybe just avoid WS and Beach road that would have been an easy target .  

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Don't worry.

safe as houses here in pattaya.

But you can hide under the covers if you feel like it :wai2:

Sarcasm?
If not, that's absurd.

While there is an obvious Thai political implication to attacks in Hua Hin, these were more general attacks in beach tourism areas and Hua Hin is NOT in South Thailand.

So anyone that doesn't see that Pattaya is a strong potential target of the same forces is being a silly ostrich. 

I'm not suggesting that people change their behavior. That's a personal decision. Certainly panicking doesn't help anybody. But to deny the threat is irrational. 

All that I can think of that people can do is to report any suspicious activity that looks like people planting bombs ... left packages, etc. 

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There's a worldwide threat of terrorism.  Thailand and Pattaya are no different.

Yes.

Obviously we don't know for sure yet but this string of attacks on the face of it does not seem as if it was either "Isis" type global Islamic Jihad inspired OR related to the endless south Thailand specific internal conflict.

Based on the timing and the Hua Hin part of it ... that points to the national internal political conflict related to the referendum, etc.

Of course violence done in the cause of making a political statement, to create fear and chaos, to damage tourism, etc. is pretty much by definition TERRORISM. 

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sarcasm?
If not, that's absurd.

While there is an obvious Thai political implication to attacks in Hua Hin, these were more general attacks in beach tourism areas and Hua Hin is NOT in South Thailand.

So anyone that doesn't see that Pattaya is a strong potential target of the same forces is being a silly ostrich. 

I'm not suggesting that people change their behavior. That's a personal decision. Certainly panicking doesn't help anybody. But to deny the threat is irrational. 

All that I can think of that people can do is to report any suspicious activity that looks like people planting bombs ... left packages, etc. 

Oh well

My post was not directed at you,   its just the way it is,  when multiple people post

at the same time.

But ok.

This is why,  you have nothing to fear.

Pattaya,     No one will care if it goes down here.

People from Thailand and the rest of the world look down there noses at pattaya.

it just don't make good news,   does it.

Other places give better news results. 

BTW  Nice to see the same posters as last time

on a thread like this ,     telling  you all to hide under the covers.

What happened last time,    big nothing in Pattaya.

so you were all wrong

Edited by onemorechang

Interesting theory.

It seems you're saying because Pattaya is associated with sex tourism, that terrorists seeking to spook international tourists from visiting Thailand for what I assume is internal political motivations, will give it a pass.

You forget that Pattaya is the largest beach resort in Asia and that most of the tourism business here has nothing to do with sex tourism.

Oh well!

I'm not predicting anything, either way.

Just saying the OBVIOUS.

That Pattaya is an obvious potential target for different flavors of terrorists.

Just because it hasn't been hit yet, doesn't mean it won't be.

Hopefully, not, but hope has little to do with this. 

Edited by Jingthing

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting theory.

It seems you're saying because Pattaya is associated with sex tourism, that terrorists seeking to spook international tourists from visiting Thailand for what I assume is internal political motivations, will give it a pass.

You forget that Pattaya is the largest beach resort in Asia and that most of the tourism business here has nothing to do with sex tourism.

Oh well!

I'm not predicting anything, either way.

Just saying the OBVIOUS.

That Pattaya is an obvious potential target for different flavors of terrorists.

Just because it hasn't been hit yet, doesn't mean it won't be.

Hopefully, not, but hope has little to do with this. 

Bali is a pretty large beach destination. They have detonated a few bombs there in tourist hot spots. High body count.

Anything is possible. Just takes the right whack job to make it happen. But if tourists are what they are after, Pattaya should be high on their list, especially night time. A well placed bomb on Walking Streetz or inside a disco, could do serious damage with a very high body count.

Nowhere in the world is safe from the nut cases who set off bombs.  There is just different degrees of risk.

I recon that Pattaya's risk has just increased, but probably not by very much.  If bombings move to Bangkok or further north then our risk will go up more.

At the end of the day life must go on. You should be more alert, but no need to press the panic button.

Edited by CRUNCHER

31 minutes ago, Franky Bear said:

I think it is a big target. Myself and friends have talk about this many times over the years. it's not a case of "if" it's more when.

Hopefully we are wrong.

I'm surprised no one has walked into the center of Nana Plaza in BKK and wiped it off the map yet.

38 minutes ago, Pattaya28 said:

I agree WS + Beach Rd are obvious targets.

And yes, I think we should be worried.I

If someone was to do something similar in Pattaya, it would seem pretty stupid to pick an "obvious" target...seems to me that's where security would be the heaviest. Many other non-obvious but still compact and crowded soft targets around town.

As to the "won't happen here" crowd, I'm sure that's what all those killed thought about their little pieces of paradise just yesterday. What to do...there isn't really anything one can do if you want to live a normal live...just soldier on.

11 minutes ago, dcnx said:

You should be concerned, not worried.

That's just a semantic difference. 

Same general thing.

Either way, concern or worry, there's little we can personally do about it. 
That's part of the power of terrorism.

It has power to impact many more people than it actually hits.

safe as houses here in pattaya.

A fantastic piece of denial.

Terrorism takes many shapes and forms.

Any Westerner, who is outwith their home comforts and within the realms of potential terrorists are always under the threat of kidnap & ransom.

Think K&R is not terrorism. Come back and tell me that when you have been in a boilersuit with a very sharp knife at your throat.

Edited by SgtRock
spelling

1 minute ago, dcnx said:

I'm surprised no one has walked into the center of Nana Plaza in BKK and wiped it off the map yet.

it just wouldn't make good enough  news.

maybe that's why.

But the doomsday preppers on the pattaya forum will tell you other wise.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

That's just a semantic difference. 

Same general thing.

Either way, concern or worry, there's little we can personally do about it. 
That's part of the power of terrorism.

It has power to impact many more people than it actually hits.

Right. I'm going to go about my day. I'm going to hit Starbucks and chat it up with a friend. However, if the non Western guy next to me walks away and leaves his bag on the floor, I'm probably going to exit as quickly as possible. I may even sit near the exit today but away from any flower pots or trash bins outside. Not worried and staying at home, but aware and concerned. Being aware may prevent you from becoming a statistic.

1 minute ago, onemorechang said:

it just wouldn't make good enough  news.

maybe that's why.

But the doomsday preppers on the pattaya forum will tell you other wise.

It would make good American news, focusing on the war on terror, you're not safe abroad, all while getting a dig at the sex industry and Bangkok sleaze.

Not as good as a bomb in a shopping mall, but Western media would milk the ISIS out of it.

I don't think so.

I think the internal Thai political conflicts have been reported about widely for several years now and that if there is no indication of an ISIS attack (which there isn't) the western press would NOT be reporting that there is. 

Remember the burning of Bangkok?
That was widely reported internationally.

It was never suggested that was about Islamic terrorism, as of course, it wasn't. 

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

A fantastic piece of denial.

Terrorism takes many shapes and forms.

Any Westerner, who is outwith their home comforts and within the realms of potential terrorists are always under the threat of kidnap & ransom.

Think K&R is not terrorism. Come back and tell me that when you have been in a boilersuit with a very sharp knife at your throat.

Oh Well

Nut jobs have just turned up.

Im off out for a beer in town. have a nice day under the covers

Cant wait for the next 20 pages of fear. :coffee1:

Ps

You stand way more chance of getting run over and killed

by cars , bikes,  buses in this town,  than by  bombs.

Edited by onemorechang
for got to say the OBVIOUS

23 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Oh Well

Nut jobs have just turned up.

Im off out for a beer in town. have a nice day under the covers

Cant wait for the next 20 pages of fear. :coffee1:

Crack on mate.

Obviously my advice falls on deaf ears.

You know better

No Muslim community in Pattaya = no  potential extremist /jihadist.

Enjoy the taxi ride when you are a**holed

Edited by SgtRock

There's probably a better chance you'll be a smear on the pavement because of a drunk driver but I'll bet that doesn't stop you from driving/riding on/crossing streets. Probably a far better chance that you'll develop cancer or liver problems but I'll be that won't stop you from drinking and smoking, will it ?

I spent 10 years working in Kabul and Kandahar. The first couple of years in Kandahar we were getting hit with rocket attacks 3-4 times a week. I used to joke that it was safer there than it was in Thailand, but that was because of the number of my countrymen that were croaking from road accidents, heart attacks (while doing "the deed"), murdered by wives, slipping by the pool, etc, etc. Far more people dying from those causes than from anything else.

If your time is up, it is up and there is nothing at all you can do about it so you may as well enjoy life instead of living in fear of it.  

3 minutes ago, BWPattaya said:

I think it would be a good idea to stop people walking into bars gogos. Clubs and shopping malls whilst carrying a backpCk. I see no reason for people to carry a back on a. Ight out

Great in theory.

You do not need a backpack to carry a bomb