Indian superstar Shah Rukh Khan tweets about being stopped at US airport 

webfact

Indian superstar tweets about being stopped at US airport 

NEW DELHI (AP) — Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan has tweeted that he gets detained at U.S. airports "every damn time" after he was stopped at the Los Angeles International Airport.

The U.S. Ambassador to New Delhi Richard R. Verma tweeted an apology to the star Friday, saying the U.S. government was working to "to ensure it doesn't happen again."

This is the third time the wildly popular Indian star has been detained at a U.S. airport. In 2012 he was stopped at an airport in White Plains, N.Y. and in 2009 he was detained for two hours at Newark airport.

Celebrities and top officials in India are routinely given special treatment and avoid routine security checks.

It's not clear why Khan, who is Muslim, was detained or for how long.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-12

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money and fame should be no guarantee for special treatment when security is involved, and those who enjoy fame and stardom should NOT be the ones complaining that they do not get special treatment, they should be the role models. The ultra wealthy and famous are exactly the profile of people that could be subject to ransom attacks, blackmail etc all of which could encourage them to be an unwitting mule. I am amazed that a US Ambassador has compromised the work of security agencies by apologising. Shocking really. 

I was wondering WHY he was getting flagged and read elsewhere there's a guy with the same name who had been flagged and that's why this Shah is getting netted at ports of entry. 

Apparently this other guy has been found and removed from "the list" but with inter-agency  bureaucracy and computer cock ups, not surprised this happened again or by the DoS' apology.   If there's a flag, low level front line border officers don't question it.  You get sent to secondary and the officer calls the next traveler up in order to keep the line moving. 

15 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

He should have just threatened to break out in song and dance…they would have waved him through chop chop.

his next Bollywood dancing spectacular:

Dancing To The TSArs

Bollywood's Shah Rukh Khan gets US apology for airport stop 

NEW DELHI (AP) — Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan tweeted Friday that he gets detained at U.S. airports "every damn time" after he was stopped at the Los Angeles International Airport.

The U.S. Ambassador to New Delhi Richard R. Verma responded with an apology in a tweet saying the U.S. government was working to "to ensure it doesn't happen again."

His current trip is the third time the wildly popular Khan has been detained at a U.S. airport. In 2012 he was stopped at an airport in White Plains, N.Y. and in 2009 he was detained for two hours at Newark airport.

"I fully understand & respect security with the way the world is, but to be detained at US immigration every damn time really really sucks," he tweeted.

Celebrities and top officials in India are routinely given special treatment and often either avoid security checks or go through an extremely cursory check.

It's not clear why Khan, who is Muslim, was detained or for how long.

Khan also joked about his experience.

"The brighter side is while waiting caught some really nice Pokemons," he tweeted.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-12

Good on him... He has every right to complain. 

"I fully understand & respect security with the way the world is, but to be detained at US immigration every damn time really really sucks,"

It would indeed suck, should we get stopped and delayed for the 3rd time arriving in Suvarnabhumi Airport most of us posting on this forum would also be very quick to complain. 

Security is extremely important with potentially grave consequences for flawed or failed implementation of the correct checks and measures - that said when the same guy is getting pulled out of line three times in a row there is a flaw, one which has given cause for Apology. 

It does seem that all Khan has done is tweet about his experience, news also suggests he joked about it - I think he handled the situation quite well considering how frustrating it must have been. 

I am an atheist American citizen...and I am detained every time I return to Chicago...usually for a more thorough search of my luggage...once for an unpaid ticket that was issued to a person renting my home...they guy needs to get over not being pampered...

and if he is trying to imply that race or religion underlie the issue...India, with its avowed caste system, is among the most openly racist countries in the world...and all data (not subjective anecdotes) indicates the screening process in the major USA airports is not biased... 

SRK is right to complain, and the US ambassador did the right thing by responding promptly.

SRK is a bit more than an "actor" in India (and several other countries as well). It would be pointless to antagonize his fans needlessly.  Other than this being a reoccurring thing (there was an old TVF topic about it a while back), the man hardly poses a security threat. 

For those harping on his religious affiliation - he's married to a Hindu, kids are raised learning both religions. 

I only read this article to see all the nitwit comments by the compassionate TV readers. I wasn't disappointed. Being occasionally stopped and questioned is annoying, but when being detained goes on for hours and hours it becomes very annoying. Especially by HomeLand Security who are not the most competent people on the planet. When I flew out of LAX last month I was detained and they removed everything from my hand luggage and took it away to be tested. When I asked why? they informed me there was explosive residue in my bag, which is absurd. When I kept asking questions one fellow said that it was probably gasoline residue from when I last filled up my car......I don't have a car! Need I say more!!!!!!

And to add insult to injury I was in business which is supposed to fast track you.....so much for that. So I think our Indian friend can feel aggrieved because of the multiple times he has been stopped and delayed for hours entering the USA.

American INS agents (now Homeland Security) are not known for their gentility.  I remember being a little shocked once when I arrived in Los Angeles (LAX) and heard the agents shouting "American Citizens over here;"  "foreigners over here."  I'm a white American and thought that they could have been more gentle but, of course, I've never worked their job.  Also, my interactions with the police in Southern California have not been good.  Once, when a Vietnamese friend of mine was being choked and robbed and called me for help, I called the police but they refused to go to his aid.  I rushed over there in my car and he was OK in the end but scared and roughed up.  I went to the police station and explained that I needed to call them because he didn't speak English and that he could have been killed.  They just brushed me off and said that it was being taken care of.

6 hours ago, hdkane said:

I am an atheist American citizen...and I am detained every time I return to Chicago...usually for a more thorough search of my luggage...once for an unpaid ticket that was issued to a person renting my home...they guy needs to get over not being pampered...

and if he is trying to imply that race or religion underlie the issue...India, with its avowed caste system, is among the most openly racist countries in the world...and all data (not subjective anecdotes) indicates the screening process in the major USA airports is not biased... 

Hands down the dumbest statement I have read. What has India's caste system got to do with US immigration detaining this guy?

This is the third time the wildly popular Indian star has been detained at a U.S. airport. In 2012 he was stopped at an airport in White Plains, N.Y. and in 2009 he was detained for two hours at Newark airport.

Celebrities and top officials in India are routinely given special treatment and avoid routine security checks.

Same would happen to Obama if he'd travel to Mumbai, or Delhi without his "Diplomatic Status."

The guy's so popular that I've never heard his name before. But I was in Indian movie theaters, one of the most boring things you can do. Gosshh. 

Have you ever seen this guy off-screen, like being interviewed or in a documentary?  He is one of the most vainglorious personalities you'll ever see.  I have no doubt that he deliberately baits these things for publicity.  He calls himself the biggest movie star in the world, yet most non-Indian people don't know who he is -- I lived in Penang for a bit and you cannot walk through the Indian section without seeing posters of his face.  Whenever I see a headline like "Bollywood star detained by TSA" I'm ready to bet it's him.

One time he entered the US via a small airport north of NYC that most people, even New Yorkers, don't even know it exists.  Guaranteed to draw suspicion.  And publicity.

As for big-time, he's on my top-ten list of most punchable faces.

9 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Hands down the dumbest statement I have read. What has India's caste system got to do with US immigration detaining this guy?

Try to follow a bit of logic...the fellow insinuates that his religion or race is behind his being stopped...India, with a caste system that is virtually carved in stone, should have citizens that are not so willing and ready to play that card...especially in a situation in which race and religion are not considered.

1 minute ago, hdkane said:

Try to follow a bit of logic...the fellow insinuates that his religion or race is behind his being stopped...India, with a caste system that is virtually carved in stone, should have citizens that are not so willing and ready to play that card...especially in a situation in which race and religion are not considered.

Are you seriously implying his race was not the reason for him being stopped, again?

32 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Are you seriously implying his race was not the reason for him being stopped, again?

Yes, I am...the data are rather surprising...law enforcement agencies are incredibly sensitive to race nowadays...and it's incredibly easy to bring a lawsuit in the USA if you have a legitimate case of racism...when data are actually analyzed, the findings suggest that law enforcement actually overcompensate in favor of people of color...most claims of racism turn out to be misunderstandings on the part of the plaintiff, in which the man/woman simply did not get what he/she wanted as an outcome...in the example of Khan, he probably has a name that is similar to someone on the "no fly" list...I had a family member who had a similar circumstance (apparently, their are a LOT of wanted felons with common names in his age range), and after being detained 3 times in a row starting in 2010, he would actually include these delays into his travel schedule...given the political and social climate in the USA, people are too inclined to jump to race as an explanation for their troubles, no matter how trivial...

as for me, I think race should be included as a screening variable, since race is a true biological factor that has a number of related and associated differences in behavior that are best explained with biology...if there is proof about the validity of a practice or policy, I'm all for it...