Win 10 OS on boot ssd files on 1TB secondary HDD (With old OS still on)

n210mp

Could anyone please advise me on how to setup a   Samsung evo 750 ,120GB ssd  as a boot disc so that I can use the original 1 TB HDD as a place to hold all my music, photos and document files?

I have clean  installed  win 10 OS on the ssd.

The  1 TB HDD still has the original Win 10 OS on it and at the moment I can boot either disc.

Thanks

PS and if anyone has a larger SSD for sale at a reasonable price I am interested in buying

Well, your SSD is a boot disk already. Just choose the SSD as the boot disk in your PC's BIOS.

Then you can just move the libraries locations from C: to I assume D: (the 1 TB) as explained here:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23790-storage-save-locations-change-windows-10-a.html

It may be that you'll want to mark the old boot partition as inactive but don't worry about it for now.

To do quietly without trying to grill the steps. :wai2:

1 Make a complete ordering on your HDD: update, defragmentation, disc cleaning and scan with "adv cleaner" to obtain a safe and clean windows.

2 Create a data partition with Partition Magic Easus. (Free). In it, place all your documents, photos, videos and software. The primary partition (C) only keeps the system (WIN 10) users and program files. its size must be less than the total capacity of the SSD.

3 Download the software "Macrium reflex" (free) and install it.

4 Connect your SSD on plug USB with a box or a suitable cable.

5 Copy the C partition on your SSD by using the software Macrium.

6 Replace your HDD by the new SSD and test startup. If everything is OK, attach the SSD. If not, repeat the copy making sure to check the appropriate boxes.

You now have an ultra fast computer and data are stored on your HDD that you connect to needs, always with the appropriate cable. This disk remains bootable that provides a perfect troubleshooting option.

USB.png

Thanks so very much for the quick replies Joe and J

I have tried Jsix, way first as it looks as though it is the easiest for this OAP.

I should have said that I also have the 2 drives already in situ on my PC and can boot from one or the other at startup.

After completing the process, in about 2 minutes, I have my photos and Docs coming up on the appropriate Apps from the new save location.

I hadn't  downloaded Itunes until  after I did the Storage change and when I opened Itunes its not showing my music (about 30GB on the HDD)

This brings up another query for me.

Do I need to have my Apps installed  on the SSD and not on the Storage area, I would think that I need too for the Apps to read the saved places?

If this is the case then I assume that with many largish Apps the 120GB SSD isn't going to be enough to also include all the updates and restoration points that I will in time be loading on the Boot drive.

Thanks again Guys for great advice

Overall you can install applications on (D) but this has virtually no interest.

Indeed, the key will anyway copied to Windows and therefore (C)

In addition, it should connect in each case (D) to make them work.

An exception however, software of download (eg IDM) can be installed on D with temporary files on (D) also to avoid an unnecessary copy on (C).

Consider making cleaning the dedicated windows application. Old plants can unnecessarily occupy up to 15 GB, for example.

On my old PC in perfect condition all windows + applications + reserved space takes exactly 59 GO

4 hours ago, n210mp said:

Thanks so very much for the quick replies Joe and J

I have tried Jsix, way first as it looks as though it is the easiest for this OAP.

I should have said that I also have the 2 drives already in situ on my PC and can boot from one or the other at startup.

After completing the process, in about 2 minutes, I have my photos and Docs coming up on the appropriate Apps from the new save location.

I hadn't  downloaded Itunes until  after I did the Storage change and when I opened Itunes its not showing my music (about 30GB on the HDD)

This brings up another query for me.

Do I need to have my Apps installed  on the SSD and not on the Storage area, I would think that I need too for the Apps to read the saved places?

If this is the case then I assume that with many largish Apps the 120GB SSD isn't going to be enough to also include all the updates and restoration points that I will in time be loading on the Boot drive.

Thanks again Guys for great advice

Most programs will install anywhere but not all are comfortable residing on any drive other than the system drive.

If it's a huge program and you really really need to save space and don't use the program often enough to care about slow loading then you can likely install it on the data drive. However, it will probably store configuration info and program data on C:\Users\nnnn\Appdata\Local (Roaming) anyway. Sometimes that can be changed in the program options. Otherwise, you can create a junction to point the particular data dir to a dir on your data disk, if it's important to you. (A bit technical.) If not, then the data usually doesn't take up much space anyway--but your program won't run w/o its data on the C: drive where it put it. And of course imaging your system drive won't include the program. If possible, use portable versions of programs that will keep their program data with the program itself. You can put those anywhere and they make building a system a lot faster.

After you've moved the libraries, if a program isn't comfortable w/ the change--even though it should be--then take a look in the options and see if folders can be also redirected manually.

I also have a two hard drive laptop and with one drive failing I bought a 500 gb ssd to replace one of them. Pretty easy i thought as the operating system I had already moved to the second still good hard drive. i wanted to replace the original c drive with the new  SSD. 
Now comes the big problem, well medium sized, the original C drive also contained the MBR so if that was removed it would not boot at all and only would give error messages. I tried various free programs to try to move the MBR without any success. The only solution in my case was to only have the ssd installed and reinstall the operating system from the OEM discs. This would then install a new  MBR on the SSD and was able to boot from it. After this is done the other good hard drive was reinstalled and works fine. 
Note this only needs to be done on two hard drive systems where you wish to replace the one with the MBR. Cloning software that you get with the SSD would have done it if I was replacing it with like for like but the operating system was on a diiferent hard drive.

Edited by DPGumbypgh

38 minutes ago, DPGumbypgh said:

I also have a two hard drive laptop and with one drive failing I bought a 500 gb ssd to replace one of them. Pretty easy i thought as the operating system I had already moved to the second still good hard drive. i wanted to replace the original c drive with the new  SSD. 
Now comes the big problem, well medium sized, the original C drive also contained the MBR so if that was removed it would not boot at all and only would give error messages. I tried various free programs to try to move the MBR without any success. The only solution in my case was to only have the ssd installed and reinstall the operating system from the OEM discs. This would then install a new  MBR on the SSD and was able to boot from it. After this is done the other good hard drive was reinstalled and works fine. 
Note this only needs to be done on two hard drive systems where you wish to replace the one with the MBR. Cloning software that you get with the SSD would have done it if I was replacing it with like for like but the operating system was on a diiferent hard drive.

Usually you can just repair (rewrite) the MBR w/ the install disk or other repair disk, not necessary to reinstall the OS. A number of free cloning programs will clone to a smaller partition. In fact many SSDs come w/ software for the purpose as it's a common issue.

22 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Usually you can just repair (rewrite) the MBR w/ the install disk or other repair disk, not necessary to reinstall the OS. A number of free cloning programs will clone to a smaller partition. In fact many SSDs come w/ software for the purpose as it's a common issue.

I agree the cloning software would have worked if i was just replacing like for like but couldn't clone the hard drive as it had multiple bad sectors and would crash the system. That was why I had already moved the OS to another hard drive. The MBR was still on the bad drive. I tried a couple of free programs but none of them could actually move the mbr to another drive. As I had the system disks it wasn't a big deal to reinstall from scratch. The important piece of information that i was trying to get accross was  in a dual hard drive setup it is important to always keep the hard drive with the MBR on it or remove all of them when reinstalling the OS otherwise the MBR is not put on the disk that you have the OS on.