Update: Security stepped up nationwide after bombings

snoop1130

Update: Security stepped up nationwide after bombings

Gazette reporters

1_2016812155058269_UPQkCMAKNttUytQzBExNBHBljtqPyaYTpoDrBDCO_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET:-- In a statement issued this morning, Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada said has ordered additional security personnel to be deployed across the island, in the wake of two blasts in Patong this morning.

The governor’s comments come after a meeting with military and police advisers at Phuket Provincial Hall. The province was put on ‘high alert’ yesterday, after a bomb blast at a market in downtown Trang killed one person and wounded seven others (story here). 

“I have ordered an increase of personnel to be deployed at checkpoints, bus stations, markets, tourist attractions, government offices and Phuket International Airport,” Gov Chamroen said. “I’ve also asked that government offices be guarded for the next 24 hours, and for local officers to ensure that public places are well-lit and that CCTV systems are working properly.” 

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Update-Security-stepped-nationwide-bombings/65389?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-08-12

Security 

Unfortunately, it always seems too late to upgrade measures after the ghastly deeds done. By far, this is not their fault given that there are so many problems around the world.  And no matter what's put in place to stop terrorism, they always manage to kill innocent people. 

All terrorists should get the death sentence same as they impose on their victims. 

42 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

Security 

Unfortunately, it always seems too late to upgrade measures after the ghastly deeds done. By far, this is not their fault given that there are so many problems around the world.  And no matter what's put in place to stop terrorism, they always manage to kill innocent people. 

All terrorists should get the death sentence same as they impose on their victims. 

Remember my friend that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. The Irish know all about this as history will attest!

46 minutes ago, shamrock09 said:

Remember my friend that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. The Irish know all about this as history will attest!

Terrorism 

I'm not qualified enough to get into political agenda as such my friend. I'm a mere TV piano player a voice of many the power of none. :coffee1:

Edited by ScotBkk

Stepped up Security. ???....Depending on which door you choose to enter the Central Festival Mall will depend on whether you pass though a "possible" security bag check...

If you walk into MaDonalds and carry on walking no check....if you enter from the car park...no check....

The reason I think Pattaya has not been a target (yet) is that there is actually a much higher amount of security personnel around the place including plain clothes police volunteers. Stroll down Walking Street any night and you see lots of would be Harry Callahans.

There are a lot of CCTV cameras around - they might or might not work...but if you are a would be bomber do you now which ones do ?

If it is insurgents from down south planting the stuff... coming all the way round to Pattaya through Bangkok is maybe too far also just to make a point....

But hey ? life goes on....as mentioned by others on TV - there is more danger on the roads here......80+ people die every day 

Could you imagine the Thai government putting this much effort into 'road security' after every accident that kills and injures a group of people?  What's more likely on a day-to-day basis?  An indiscriminate bomb blast or a day's worth of carnage on the roads of Thailand.  The roads are far deadlier of the two by magnitudes.  Gotta keep reality in perspective.  ;)  I've got to give props to the PM for telling the citizenry to keep their heads on straight.  He's got a point.

Went to Bangkok Phuket Hospital today.

Our car was stopped at the main gate by 3 men doing security checks who suddenly realised it was lunchtime, so one had a cursory look in our boot/trunk and waved his metal detector in our general direction. The other two were busy deciding what to eat. Motorbikes, the favorite form of transport for terrorists, were let through with a friendly wave. There was another guy at the only open door into the hospital, and he seemed to be looking in people's bags, but I did notice he missed a couple of large plastic bags containing decorative flowers. He probably hadn't heard of the Hua Hin flowerpot bombs.

Anyway, I felt a lot safer once inside. 

Edited by Old Croc

Historically, civil unrest hasn't affected tourism, but a bomb in Phuket plus one at the gateway to the islands (Surat) was always likely to do that, the economy could be in for some very hard times - will be interesting to see what happens to THB on Monday, I'm guessing a fall and/or intervention by BOT..

19 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Historically, civil unrest hasn't affected tourism, but a bomb in Phuket plus one at the gateway to the islands (Surat) was always likely to do that, the economy could be in for some very hard times - will be interesting to see what happens to THB on Monday, I'm guessing a fall and/or intervention by BOT..

If there is a slight fall in the Baht I think the government would be pleased, it would mean no intervention to stop it going higher.There's too many out there looking for yield and taking more risks for it to stay down long IMO.

13 minutes ago, Goldieinkathu said:

If there is a slight fall in the Baht I think the government would be pleased, it would mean no intervention to stop it going higher.There's too many out there looking for yield and taking more risks for it to stay down long IMO.

You're really quite mad, aren't you.

^^^^

I think you didn't understand me. I don't mean the government will be pleased about the bombs :blink:. I mean that the BOT will be pleased that they don't have to drop interest rates to weaken the baht, and also it will help the exports if the baht is lower.  The large amounts of investment by foreigners is that yield is harder to find around the world especially with zero and negative rates.

1 hour ago, Goldieinkathu said:

Yes I agree, BOT spends far too much money as it is trying to (contrary to popular TVF "expert" opinion) weaken THB so a more natural weakening would be in their best interests.