Pattaya Police's Response to The Recent Terror (Sorry, Mischief-making) Attacks

sharecropper

I was not at all surprised to see around the town today that the fat, lazy coppers who lie in wait and catch licence-less tourists on motorbikes on Second Road, were, er. doing exactly the same thing. A great way to make people respect the professionalism of those who should be protecting and serving, by shaking down tourists on motorbikes.

Really, isn't there something more important they should be doing today? It's the police-work equivalent of being a lollypop man. It's a total waste of police resources, and city officials could be doing this.

7 hours ago, Berty100 said:

So how would you suggest they check for unwanted individuals if they are not allowed to check motorbike riders documents?

Or do you want to repeat the same oxymoron that they only stop tourists?

So how would you suggest they check for unwanted individuals if they are not allowed to check motorbike riders documents?

That doesn't make any sense.

Or do you want to repeat the same oxymoron that they only stop tourists?

If I wanted to, I would have.

What happened to the two farrang 'traffic cops' who used to hang around the market opposite TukCom, issuing tickets? One of them had some small tattoos on his face and was a nice piece of work. Haven't seen them lately, just one French guy who hangs out at the top of Thappraya Road at the top of the hill. Has all the 'bells and whistles' on his motorbike (Walter Alert) but still doesn't wear a helmet when riding his motorbike. Nice exemption if you can get it ;)

Anyway, back to the OP, I too think that them doing regular traffic stops is sufficient for them.

1 minute ago, BoonToong said:

What happened to the two farrang 'traffic cops' who used to hang around the market opposite TukCom, issuing tickets? One of them had some small tattoos on his face and was a nice piece of work. Haven't seen them lately, just one French guy who hangs out at the top of Thappraya Road at the top of the hill. Has all the 'bells and whistles' on his motorbike (Walter Alert) but still doesn't wear a helmet when riding his motorbike. Nice exemption if you can get it ;)

Anyway, back to the OP, I too think that them doing regular traffic stops is sufficient for them.

Can you post a photo of that guy with out the helmut on the bike . :thumbsup:

For us all to see the correct way to behave on the roads in Thailand.

Edited by onemorechang

6 hours ago, BoonToong said:

I remember the tattooed face guy. I'd love to see the vetting process these people go through.

re traffic stops - if done by traffic cops, great - if done as a proper road-check. If done by Soi 9's Finest - not so great.

Can't remember the last time I read about a terrorist/drug warlord/kidnapper being arrested at a checkpoint set up to catch motorbike riders without helmets.

To suggest that these checkpoints are part of the security apparatus is palpably silly, not the least because they have no technology that links them to a central computer to check on suspects. They are a waste of manpower and resources.

12 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

They are a waste of manpower and resources.

No they are not, if they can stop drunk idiots on bikes maybe more lifes can be saved. 

49 minutes ago, balo said:

No they are not, if they can stop drunk idiots on bikes maybe more lifes can be saved. 

Yes they are. Thailand has the second highest rate of road fatalities and that most of those killed are on bikes. So something is clearly not working. I understand your sentiment, but the roadblocks are failing to address the issue.