Achievements In Thailand

Briggsy

I forgot to mention that I quit drinking.

cricky's mate,

thats got to be about the hardest thing to achieve does'nt it, especially here in los were everybody likes to have a shandie including the bloody soi dogs.

got any good tips to achieve that not so easy feat. ?

cheers :o

ps. i was out with dave tyler last night and got no cigaretts left. :D

how are you dave. ?

cheers mate :D

Never kick the soi dogs Terry ... never kick the dogs :D

Ive achieved a mini pissup with the man, the myth, the legend, the elusive, the one and only T57 .. that just about tops the lot in my book ... :D

thanks for talking me up dave but i was only drinking little stubbies and you knocked off about 30 long necks. :D:D

so your a much bigger legend than my self and how you feeling by the way. ?

cheers mate.

PS. the things we must watch out for are farangs kicking soi dogs and that frigging travellers connection place. :D:D:D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm interested to hear success stories involving foreigners living long-term in Thailand. I'm thinking about jobs, learning, personal finances, spiritual progression.

For instance, have you learnt a new vocation whilst staying here, set up a successful business here ,developed new skills or achieved something that you feel is worthy of a mention.

Examples of Achievements that count

Running a marathon

Setting up a small factory and making enough to enhance quality of retirement

Learnt auto mechanics

u]Examples of Achievements that don't count[/u]

Drunk 10,000 bottles of Singha and sh*gged 500 tarts

Missus is under half my age

Learnt how to bribe coppers

Restore my faith!

I wrote a book that was published by Asia Books and I won a court case against a school for unfair dismissal. Oh and I caught a 62 kg Giant Mekong Catfish!!!

cricky's mate,

thats got to be about the hardest thing to achieve does'nt it, especially here in los were everybody likes to have a shandie including the bloody soi dogs.

got any good tips to achieve that not so easy feat. ?

Yes I got a tip : refrain from opening bottles. :o

• 2 weeks later...
Learned how to Sell and Close while earning around 80-100k baht a month doing so. These skills opened and new chaper in my proffessional life and lead to my current position that, I created for myself in Iraq, thats the best I have ever known in my life.

Gotta be a bit tougher to sell timeshare in Iraq. :o

- volunteer taught english for 1 year

- raised 2m+ baht for charities and brought a foreign orchestra to perform for a member of the royal family in Thailand

- own condo, car, credit card (3 Cs)

- 2nd in a triathalon, completed some other races in other sports i didn't think I could do

- become fluent Thai speaker (after not speaking it at all as a child)

- (almost) completed a masters degree

- learned to windsurf

- brought joy to my friends, and pain and complete suffering to my sea anoenomies

- decent career, good friends, nice boss, good mentors

- raised the best cat in the world*

For future?

- more charity work

- more money and possessions for myself

- more sporting glory holes

- more for the family

- be a better person and a better leader

* best is an arguable term

Always believed that charities go into the wrong pockets, and you admit that you've gotten 2m+baht (don't want to tell us the exact amount?) and put it in your pocket, since charity workers/teachers aren't paid enough to have what you have, and NOT one credit card, but 3+. And for the future you mention more "charity work" & more Money and possessions for myself!!! And the cat is probably your rich dude that has paid for all you have.

Hope Im wrong!

Edited by SamuiJens

Thats really cool.

On 17th December it will be my one year anniversary on the wagon. I really feel great too.

Well Mr Exile I'm going to raise a beer to you then on this auspicious day as it will be my birthday .... :D

A great day indeed Mr Taylor, a great day indeed :o

In chronological order:

Have done a tandem skydive from 9,000 feet

Have done my first ever helicopter ride

Have volunteered in & then taken over (as manager & jack-of-all-trades) a Dog Rescue Center & helped many dogs & their owners

Have nursed my mother through cancer for the 2nd time

Have become a single mum to a little Thai boy after his father (my boyfriend of nearly 4 years) died this March (during his illness, also lived in an ICU waiting room for 2 weeks - another first for me)

Have become stronger, more independent & learnt & loved more than at any other time in my life.

Oh, and also competed in a dragon boat race a month ago!

Edited by November Rain

Learned how to Sell and Close while earning around 80-100k baht a month doing so. These skills opened and new chaper in my proffessional life and lead to my current position that, I created for myself in Iraq, thats the best I have ever known in my life.

Gotta be a bit tougher to sell timeshare in Iraq. :o

Hahah, Not at all, because there I really CAN do it at gun point!

Heh no I grab reconstruction and supply contracts that are offered up by the Military and help a local company win.

with my contributions and my wife's guidance we have helped to significantly improve her family's quality of life...they are a close knit extended family...they had to be in order to survive. All the adults work as hard as before but now in better paid jobs rather than as dirt poor rice farmers. But mostly, you can see it in the kids...before playing in the mud underneath the tin shack that was the family home, dirty with ragged clothing, to their presently greatly improved circumstances with some hope for the future...no problems with medical or school expenses that are a great worry to parents of limited means.

I have been advised by my wife that the family has collectively decided to look after me whenever I decide to retire (I won't have any income if not working)...good intentions are their best reward?

In chronological order:

Have done a tandem skydive from 9,000 feet

Have done my first ever helicopter ride

Have volunteered in & then taken over (as manager & jack-of-all-trades) a Dog Rescue Center & helped many dogs & their owners

Have nursed my mother through cancer for the 2nd time

Have become a single mum to a little Thai boy after his father (my boyfriend of nearly 4 years) died this March (during his illness, also lived in an ICU waiting room for 2 weeks - another first for me)

Have become stronger, more independent & learnt & loved more than at any other time in my life.

Oh, and also competed in a dragon boat race a month ago!

Certainly a list of achievements there, good luck with the lad and the future. :o

- volunteer taught english for 1 year

- raised 2m+ baht for charities and brought a foreign orchestra to perform for a member of the royal family in Thailand

- own condo, car, credit card (3 Cs)

- 2nd in a triathalon, completed some other races in other sports i didn't think I could do

- become fluent Thai speaker (after not speaking it at all as a child)

- (almost) completed a masters degree

- learned to windsurf

- brought joy to my friends, and pain and complete suffering to my sea anoenomies

- decent career, good friends, nice boss, good mentors

- raised the best cat in the world*

For future?

- more charity work

- more money and possessions for myself

- more sporting glory holes

- more for the family

- be a better person and a better leader

* best is an arguable term

I hold people who do charity work with a very high level of respect... good on you!

Myself... I finished my Ph.D. and started a practice in Bkk.. I have not managed to raise enough funds for a house yet (Ph.D. student loan isn"t exactly small) but im proud of the people iv'e treated so far :o

Became CEO of a multinational corporation, earned a doctorate, received the Nobel Peace Prize....oops, that's not true.

Okay:

Taught English at almost poverty wages, two years

Twenty years after the divorce, managed to have another long term relationship, which is ongoing

Wrote my first novel, and don't care if it's ever published

Travelled a lot, saw lots of sunrises, moonrises, flowers, beaches, etc.

It's not as much as other people have listed, but it beats most of my contemporaries back home who are watching stupid television shows, or still working too hard.

Became CEO of a multinational corporation, earned a doctorate, received the Nobel Peace Prize....oops, that's not true.

Okay:

Taught English at almost poverty wages, two years

Twenty years after the divorce, managed to have another long term relationship, which is ongoing

Wrote my first novel, and don't care if it's ever published

Travelled a lot, saw lots of sunrises, moonrises, flowers, beaches, etc.

It's not as much as other people have listed, but it beats most of my contemporaries back home who are watching stupid television shows, or still working too hard.

i liked your last 3 lines the best as to me thats a huge achievement. :D

i salute you. :o:D

Thanks, terry. I always heard that we were supposed to stop and smell the flowers, but I was so busy working and riding motorcycles and making babies and raising kids and helping massacre victims and walking mountain trails, that there never was enough time......until now. Flowers smell nice!

Thanks, terry. I always heard that we were supposed to stop and smell the flowers, but I was so busy working and riding motorcycles and making babies and raising kids and helping massacre victims and walking mountain trails, that there never was enough time......until now. Flowers smell nice!

yes we need to chill out mate, as all the punters i know at home are working like slaves so they can give the house to the bloody kids, they split with there wifes and end up in the nut house. :D

my self like to live a chilled life and thats why ive travelled all my life and will retire to the mighty los.

but i dont need a big car or big condo or all the things people chase in the west.

i go the middle path as buddism has taught us.

cheers :o and ive always got time to smell the flowers. :D

You guys all put me to shame, and I'm envious.

I don't think this counts as an achievement, but in my slacker ethos, it does. I spent a year semi-retired with a georgeous lover, living by magical coral reefs in a small resort town, making love loudly for several hours a day.

I did an at home two month chi-kung intensive, and changed the way I feel my body.

I continued efforts to write better. Gathered old emails and forum posts into a blog.

Learned a bit more about women. Loved several.

Edited by jamman

yes we need to chill out mate, as all the punters i know at home are working like slaves so they can give the house to the bloody kids, they split with there wifes and end up in the nut house. :D

my self like to live a chilled life and thats why ive travelled all my life and will retire to the mighty los.

but i dont need a big car or big condo or all the things people chase in the west.

Jee-sus, terry, isn't that some-what like you're doing, as a fireman with a 3-4 week holiday in LOS to show for it? Guess ex-mrs. terry gets most of your hard earned pay and you get the holiday on Tao and Patters-lol, dude-Having a good holiday on the web?-Jens

Jee-sus, terry, isn't that some-what like you're doing, as a fireman with a 3-4 week holiday in LOS to show for it? Guess ex-mrs. terry gets most of your hard earned pay and you get the holiday on Tao and Patters-lol, dude-Having a good holiday on the web?-Jens

come on jens your my mate and here's the top scoop mate,

ive got it fairly good jens as i work like a mad man for 5 months then have 2 months in the mighty los and get paid for it. :D

its not perfect but not to bad and its not long now that i pull the pin on fighting fires as i been nearly knocked of a few times and im over it. :D

there aint now ex mrs terry but the long term lovers have cost me a packet but im still doing ok. :D

cheers jens . :D