Build a house on thai wife's father's land and he thinks he owns it

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My recommendation to the OP, based on that exchange and his comment about his daughter, is to stop work and leave, end of. I understand only too well that projects such as your house project are personal, BUT, you're on a looser there and things could get very dangerous in ways you perhaps don't yet understand. You don't appear to speak the language, you're backing a daughter he's thrown out and you don't seem to have any allies, it's a stacked deck I'm afraid.

Edited by chiang mai

He does. And by the translation of it. He doesn't have any like or respect for you. My bet is he thinks your stupid as well.

Cases like this never end well.

Leave. Unless you don't mind losing what you build.

Good luck.

A friend of mine built his wife's parents a house. Thinking they could stay there when visiting. Old Father in law told him he can't ever come inside now that the place is finished. Because.....he has tattoos!! 

Anyways.....there are millions of cases like this.

1 minute ago, NickJ said:

I did one of those angry crotch grabs once and was lucky to escape with my life. Here there isn't much worse of an insult.

Thanks for the cultural insight.

Just guessing here but I don't think he is going to buddy up to the OP any time soon.

And the young lad in the video talking on his phone is not too happy with the old man's timing. 

I am sure he would have prefered the house be finished before kicking the OP off the property.

I agree with the above advice. There is little point in building a house on land owned by someone who obviously hates you. You will spend a great deal of money and see no return from it. I would not live under the same roof as this guy.

What did you do that upset him so much?

Always a good idea to learn the language of the country you're building a house in if you are not gonna own the land..

Imagine a Northen american that failed his daugther, she works at 7/11, and one day some mexican that doesnt speak english comes home with her and builds a house on his land..

Dbag or not, the father sees a man who does not even speak his country's language abusing his easy picking daughter.. Enough for most less civil/educated people to go apeshat

Edited by bearpolar

10 minutes ago, JImH2O said:

Burn the house down and leave, why would you take such an insult. I don't know the other side of the story but it sounds like that swearing old douche has no respect for you at all.

Well that's right. The house is 10 years old. Great house. He has his own house on the same land. He was living in it for a few years and reluctantly moved out when I wanted it again.

I can live in it. The only way he can get rid of me is to make me demolish the house.

If I leave Thailand, that's exactly what I'll do. Think burning is a bit extreme but I'm nearly there.

Don't know whole situation, your clip looks like it's rough for you, recently had to get out of a similar situation. I actually bought all the land and materials though.

Good luck to you if you can get out of it with anything.

Just try not to get too pissed off with it, we are just another statistic, which I thought after 8 years would not be the case.

Edited by chenposeb
less drivel in the edited version

2 minutes ago, bearpolar said:

Always a good idea to learn the language of the country you're building a house in if you are not gonna own the land..

Imagine a Northen american that failed his daugther, she works at 7/11, and one day some mexican that doesnt speak english comes home with her and builds a house on his land..

Dbag or not, the father sees a man who does not even speak his country's language abusing his easy picking daughter

I may be mistaken but he OP sounds as though he may be from Ireland, That fact notwithstanding, your analogy is ludicrous.

1 minute ago, NickJ said:

Yeah....but who gets the land when he croaks? If there are brothers, my bet would be them. He sure as heck wouldn't leave it to the guys wife. But who knows. 

The house is gone. It's easy for me to say but the best thing to do is shrug the shoulders and walk away, this can't end well if the Op pursues it any more..

Ditch the girl too.

6 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I may be mistaken but he OP sounds as though he may be from Ireland, That fact notwithstanding, your analogy is ludicrous.

Countries do not matter in the analogy, its simple.  Old angry thai man has a daughter, she moves to an other city

and one day she comes back with an older man, 10 years later he still can't say "i didnt put the water on the ground"

Easy to see why he'd be pissed off.

Not taking sides here, just trying to make the racists of thaivisa understand that theres 2 way to see this.

Edited by bearpolar

3 minutes ago, Franky Bear said:

The house is gone. It's easy for me to say but the best thing to do is shrug the shoulders and walk away, this can't end well if the Op pursues it any more..

Ditch the girl too.

No girl. X wife is 53. The DB's granddaughter is 16 and looks like a falang. Before i walk away, I'll demolish the house as is my right in law.

Just now, SlartyBartfast said:

No girl. X wife is 53. The DB's granddaughter is 16 and looks like a falang. Before i walk away, I'll demolish the house as is my right in law.

i didn't know that. Best of luck mate. I don't envy your situation.

OMG, what the <deleted> are you doing.

I counted 3 insulting words that would get him into a fight with  someone who spoke the language. He seems to totally hate your guts. He's asking you who you think the and belongs to and is a total idiot. GET THE HELL AWAY. STOP BUILDING AT ONCE.

NEVER even speak to this guy again as you have been totally dissed. 

3 minutes ago, SlartyBartfast said:

"demolish the house as is my right in law".

I don't doubt your word on this but perhaps you can share exactly how that can be? An usufruct doesn't give you that right, neither does a lease nor does a superficies.

2 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

OMG, what the fk are you doing.

I counted 3 insulting words that would get him into a fight with  someone who spoke the language. He seems to totally hate your guts. He's asking you who you think the and belongs to and is a total idiot. GET THE HELL AWAY. STOP BUILDING AT ONCE.

Built the house 10 or more years ago. Middle of Chiang Mai. I'll demolish before I let him and his family have it.

I have a good lawyer. I'm not worried.

Get the he@ll out of there pronto.

Father has been in his village for decades, he can have you run off or A LOT WORSE once the house is completed.

Look upon this time in your life as a learning curve and vow never to make the same mistake again.

You are not the first...by thousands..or the last by thousands to make the mistake you have made

7 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

OMG, what the <deleted> are you doing.

i know we are in Thailand, but, "stick and stones" and all that.

I'm not sure a 100% but somewhere in the back of my mind it stuck. I also rented some beachfront land once for the ex to have a business and the overall impression I was left with is that you cannot do it. Worth researching before any drastic action takes place.