Build a house on thai wife's father's land and he thinks he owns it

13 hours ago, Franky Bear said:

You must be the first ever foreigner to own a house then. Well done.

I bought and own a house. If you are married to a Thai and buy a house after the marriage  (in their name ) by law, you are entitled to a 50 percent share as it is marital property. 

My thai husband has a nice retirement fund, but was spending his money and borrowing against it. I took him to court because of my 50 percent share. The court put me in charge of all his money and property. Being married gives you just as many rights as at home. 

Getting on topic. It seems this foreigner let the old man live in the house for 10 years. Then decided he wanted to live there and kick this 70 year man out. What he should do is take his wife to court for half the cost of the house as is his right. He can get an apraisal of the house that does not include the land. He might be able to get instalments from the ex 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I bought and own a house. If you are married to a Thai and buy a house after the marriage  (in their name ) by law, you are entitled to a 50 percent share as it is marital property. 

My thai husband has a nice retirement fund, but was spending his money and borrowing against it. I took him to court because of my 50 percent share. The court put me in charge of all his money and property. Being married gives you just as many rights as at home. 

Getting on topic. It seems this foreigner let the old man live in the house for 10 years. Then decided he wanted to live there and kick this 70 year man out. What he should do is take his wife to court for half the cost of the house as is his right. He can get an apraisal of the house that does not include the land. He might be able to get instalments from the ex 

The thai court hate deadbeats thai just as much as deadbeat farangs

Most of the issues here where people blame the thai courts usually come from: Them not trying or them being even worse than the person they are fighting against.

2 hours ago, bearpolar said:

Most of the issues here where people blame the thai courts usually come from: Them not trying or them being even worse than the person they are fighting against.

Don't quite understand what you are saying?  If the guy bought it while married, he is entitled to his share as by the law. Nothing deadbeat about that. I don't think the Thai courts favour or hate anyone. In my experience, they try to get a win win for everyone in these cases.

The guy did buy the house, but he is making his rightful claim in the wrong way. He can get a lawyer at the lawyers council for free as is his right. 

Nothing deadbeat about it. 

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

Don't quite understand what you are saying?  If the guy bought it while married, he is entitled to his share as by the law. Nothing deadbeat about that. I don't think the Thai courts favour or hate anyone. In my experience, they try to get a win win for everyone in these cases.

The guy did buy the house, but he is making his rightful claim in the wrong way. He can get a lawyer at the lawyers council for free as is his right. 

Nothing deadbeat about it. 

Im talking about people telling him his house is gone and the thai courts are never in favor of farangs.

They either speak out of lack of knowledge or because they are deadbeats with bad experiences with the thai courts.

On 8/15/2016 at 3:27 PM, greenchair said:

Yes, according to thai civil code, the children must provide their parents with a reasonable standard of income. Usually parents don't take their children to court for parental care. But they can if they want to. And parents must legally care for their children until 20. Most parents don't know how to make a will so all land is automatically inherited by the children. 

Thats appalling  if true

1 hour ago, bearpolar said:

Im talking about people telling him his house is gone and the thai courts are never in favor of farangs.

They either speak out of lack of knowledge or because they are deadbeats with bad experiences with the thai courts.

Oh 

32 minutes ago, kannot said:

Thats appalling  if true

No it isn't. 

I have a child, I work 7 days a week and nights. Every penny goes to extra class fees, language classes, school fees, van fees. And what's left is spent on a couple of nice holidays a year so child can rest. 

Why should we not get a bit back. Not to mention my child will inherit a house and a bit of land. My duty is to provide a basic schooling, basic food and clothing . But with good education the child will get a good paying job. They should return the money since I cannot save for a retirement and there are no benefits here. 

4 hours ago, greenchair said:

No it isn't. 

I have a child, I work 7 days a week and nights. Every penny goes to extra class fees, language classes, school fees, van fees. And what's left is spent on a couple of nice holidays a year so child can rest. 

Why should we not get a bit back. Not to mention my child will inherit a house and a bit of land. My duty is to provide a basic schooling, basic food and clothing . But with good education the child will get a good paying job. They should return the money since I cannot save for a retirement and there are no benefits here. 

So, in your world, you cannot earn enough to give your child any more than basic schooling, food and cloths. Yet you expect all the money you spent on your child back.

WOW what a parent you are. NOT. :coffee1:

11 hours ago, khundon said:

So, in your world, you cannot earn enough to give your child any more than basic schooling, food and cloths. Yet you expect all the money you spent on your child back.

Didn't say that. I said I spend all my retirement money on providing many extra classes and activities so my child will double the income by getting a better job. 

Thailand does not have a benefit system. Anyway, it doesn't matter what you or I think. The law says the children are bound to care for their parents. I and most thai that don't have an American benefit or English benefit agree with that law. My child thinks it's fair. The children can get government loans to pay for uni which they must pay back. If the parents pay, the children should pay it back. 

On 16/08/2016 at 4:13 PM, khundon said:

15 hours ago, greenchair said:

Didn't say that. I said I spend all my retirement money on providing many extra classes and activities so my child will double the income by getting a better job. 

Thailand does not have a benefit system. Anyway, it doesn't matter what you or I think. The law says the children are bound to care for their parents. I and most thai that don't have an American benefit or English benefit agree with that law. My child thinks it's fair. The children can get government loans to pay for uni which they must pay back. If the parents pay, the children should pay it back. 

No, you didn't say any such thing! Read your first post again.

So, let me comment on what you actually wrote in your posts.

You came to Thailand (presumably from a country that had a pension/benefit system) still of working age, had a child, spent all your retirement fund (must have been a small retirement fund) on extra tuition fees ETC.  laudable when you can afford it, but a silly move if you cannot. It seems you fit into the later category.

My Thai wife and I,  have a niece in Thailand and we and her grand parents (retired, as am I) have paid for expensive, extra tuition (one on one) since she was 6 years old, she is now 11. We will continue to pay until she is 18, we will then pay for an English university here in the UK. We are doing this, so that she and her mother, are not loaded up with debt.

I would never in a million years load my child up with debt as you have and on top of that, you expect your child to continue to cover your retirement, which could well last for up to forty years!

As for your mention of the Thai law on caring for parents. The law is an ass in this respect. Is this not, in part, why so many kids are now working in walking street or similar places and sending money home.

Much better for the government to cut this circle of debt that passes from generation to generation and encourage parents to save in a pension scheme or similar, rather that load the children shoulders up with debt.

We have a 7 year old son and we will expect nothing from him when he finishes Uni and starts work, other than a box of chocolates for his mum every now and again.

Isn't that what being parents is all about.

Anyway,  I have strayed far :offtopic: My apologies to the OP.

On 16/08/2016 at 6:16 AM, bearpolar said:

You are totally wrong in thinking that the Thai courts favour Thais over foreigners as Greenchair has already told you.

If he is in the right, then he will get a favourable decision from the judge. However, enforcing the ruling is another matter.  :coffee1:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2016 at 10:13 PM, khundon said:

So, in your world, you cannot earn enough to give your child any more than basic schooling, food and cloths.

I've found the more you give your children, the less they like you.

My policy has always been reach 18 and you're on your own financially, but always welcome to food and a roof over your head.

Edited by MissAndry