Christmas Lunch in Patong

BigDamo

15 minutes ago, BigDamo said:

Thanks guys

I'm going to email them to see what time they are serving until as I'd prefer to go out late afternoon if poss

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think the Islander does two sittings on two days but can't remember if it is xmas eve and xmas day

or xmas day and boxing day. should be easy to call them and find out, but they are usually pretty well

booked up but things are quite slow this year so you might be lucky?? 

1 hour ago, billythehat said:

I disagree as you're not comparing like for like. If however one is looking just for dinner at a reasonable price you may have a slight point with the Islander.

My last two dinners at The Islander were awful so have never been back.

A friend who ate at the Irish Times last year said it was "average/ok" BUT he informs me that they have a new chef and word is that he is a great improvement, so may be worth a try.

10 hours ago, BigDamo said:

Thanks

Which is better? The Islander or the Irish Times?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

There is only one way you can answer that question go and try them you have plenty

of time before Xmas.

I have eaten at the Islander regularly for many years and have yet to have a bad meal

but I have never eaten at the Irish times so cannot comment based on knowledge.

Obviously I would recommend the Islander based on my own personal experience.

I think which ever one you choose you have a good chance of having a good Xmas

dinner.           :wai:

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

My last two dinners at The Islander were awful so have never been back.

A friend who ate at the Irish Times last year said it was "average/ok" BUT he informs me that they have a new chef and word is that he is a great improvement, so may be worth a try.

I'm surprised at your Islander comment. While we do not go there frequently we have gone over many many years with friends and I can't think that anyone had a 'bad' meal.

As for the Times ... I tried it out soon after it opened years ago. Food was Ok but I did not like the dark interior, not very cozy, fine if you want a stand-up drinking man's pub.  I never went back.

Had outside tables in the mall at Irish times last time we went a few years ago and may be slightly more expensive but nothing to worry about

We do not go to patong very often but from personal experience the Irish times is better than the islander for food

As i said a few years ago and things may have changed

You also get 2 hours free parking at Jungceylon if you show your receipt from the Irish times when leaving

Edited by madmax2

12 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I'm surprised at your Islander comment. While we do not go there frequently we have gone over many many years with friends and I can't think that anyone had a 'bad' meal.

As for the Times ... I tried it out soon after it opened years ago. Food was Ok but I did not like the dark interior, not very cozy, fine if you want a stand-up drinking man's pub.  I never went back.

Again, I would have to disagree with your diatribe relating to the Irish times. A large open plan area with plenty of seating, air con and clean toilets with bog paper. The Islander can be too hot and coupled with the din and fumes of the traffic clattering oop and down the soi spoils the enjoyment of eating out. Not nearly enough spuds on the plate either.

11 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Had outside tables in the mall at Irish times last time we went a few years ago and may be slightly more expensive but nothing to worry about

We do not go to patong very often but from personal experience the Irish times is better than the islander for food

As i said a few years ago and things may have changed

You also get 2 hours free parking at Jungceylon if you show your receipt from the Irish times when leaving

"You also get 2 hours free parking at Jungceylon if you show your receipt from the Irish times"

Didn't know that...good tip, but do you know if you can park a moto sai down there as well?

12 hours ago, billythehat said:

"You also get 2 hours free parking at Jungceylon if you show your receipt from the Irish times"

Didn't know that...good tip, but do you know if you can park a moto sai down there as well?

Motor bikes had free parking in the basement car park and may still have with no receipt from a business in jungceylon

You would get the same free parking for a bike with a receipt anyway they take up a lot less room

Receipt used to be for 100 baht or more for free parking from any business in Jungceylon 

14 hours ago, billythehat said:

Again, I would have to disagree with your diatribe relating to the Irish times. A large open plan area with plenty of seating, air con and clean toilets with bog paper. The Islander can be too hot and coupled with the din and fumes of the traffic clattering oop and down the soi spoils the enjoyment of eating out. Not nearly enough spuds on the plate either.

The Islander doesn't have any traffic it is a dead end soi??????

4 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Motor bikes had free parking in the basement car park and may still have with no receipt from a business in jungceylon

You would get the same free parking for a bike with a receipt anyway they take up a lot less room

Receipt used to be for 100 baht or more for free parking from any business in Jungceylon 

Motorbikes have been able to park in the underground garage for free ever since Jungceylon opened. No time limit or receipt required.

For cars, I think the minimum spend has recently been increased to 200 baht for free parking in the underground garage or the 1st 2 floors of the parking structure (the top 2 floors have been taken over by the taxi mafia for use as their clubhouse).

13 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Motorbikes have been able to park in the underground garage for free ever since Jungceylon opened. No time limit or receipt required.

For cars, I think the minimum spend has recently been increased to 200 baht for free parking in the underground garage or the 1st 2 floors of the parking structure (the top 2 floors have been taken over by the taxi mafia for use as their clubhouse).

200 baht shopping docket is still cheap for free parking in the centre of Patong for 2 hours

After reading the comments above about Irish Times, decided to give their "Sunday Carvery" a go today. Was pleasantly surprised - 4 different kinds of carved meats (beef, pork, lamb, ham), plus chicken, yorkshire pudding, veggies (carrots, peas, pickled cabbage, cauliflower), potato-bacon soup and a small assortment of breads and rolls. The guy doing the carving loaded me up with so much meat there was no need to go back for seconds.

449 baht plus VAT (but no service charge) for all-you-can-eat, including one glass of wine seems a good value, especially for a nice venue like this.

Their Christmas meal is more than double that price at 950 baht (with a much more limited menu) but then most all western-style restaurants and hotels in the area tend to go over the top when it comes to Christmas dinner pricing.

I have eaten at both Irish Times and Islander over the years and simple answer is they are both good for what they are so anyone going should not be disappointed.

I eat at Irish times twice per week and I will tell you the food is good (maybe not the cheapest but hey Tommy has to cover the Jungceylon rates) The carvery every sunday is spot on in my book (yes I am sure the Egon Ronay crowd could find fault) I enjoy the carvery every week. I know that both are pretty booked up for Christmas dinners (Irish times from speaking with the owner) and the Islander as have a few friends who have reserved tables there for Christmas, so you may be wise to reserve a table as may be risky just showing up on the day. As mentioned Summer breeze always gets good feedback but I personally have only ever had an engrish breakfast there and it was alright, Shelia's on Sansabai I used to like best for a full english but alas gone now, so its the Yorkshire Hotel on Sansabai for me or Jakes Bar if near Nanai area 

For me, it's a choice between Irish Times and The Yorkshire.

Here's the Yorkshire's menu.

Christmas Menu 2016

Starters

Garlic Mushrooms
served in olive oil, garlic, white wine and parsley
or
Homemade Chicken Liver Pate
Served with raspberry coulis and melba toast...
or
Andaman King Prawn Cocktail
With crispy cos lettuce and Marie rose sauce and lemon wedges

Main Courses*
*All Main Courses served with roast potatoes, fresh seasonal vegetables and lashings of gravy

Fresh Roast Turkey
fresh Canadian Butter Ball Turkey, served with cranberry sauce and stuffing
or
Roast Pork and Crackling
served with bramble apple sauce
or
Roast Lamb Shank
slow cooked with fresh rosemary and port wine, served with mint sauce

Dessert

Christmas Pudding and Brandy Sauce
or
Mince Pie

Coffee and Mints

THB 1,500 Per Person*
(Children under 8 half price)
Includes a FREE glass of wine,
party hats and streamers

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

For me, it's a choice between Irish Times and The Yorkshire.

Here's the Yorkshire's menu.

Christmas Menu 2016
<snip>
THB 1,500 Per Person*
(Children under 8 half price)
Includes a FREE glass of wine,
party hats and streamers

Party hats and streamers for Christmas?

On 12/26/2016 at 10:15 AM, xylophone said:

A friend went to The Islander for a Christmas Eve dinner and said that it was, "so-so", with only 3 tables occupied at his time of eating.

I know it's not Christmas lunch per se, but...........

I went there today for a roasty…I was gasping for a plate of spuds after only a week away from Outer Earth and I needed my fix. It looked good on paper and always take the precaution of bringing my own large pot of English mustard with me. My disappointment (I guard my true opinion due to the danger of expressing factual discourse), well, how hard can it be to do spuds properly? Overcooked and watery offerings they were, dried up pork…I left half the plate…nuff said.

After a couple of goes at tracking down a decent brekky – some real disasters on offer, I took a friends nod on what the Yorkshire had to offer and, yeah, not bad at all for the cash. My only advice to Somchai the chef would be; baked beans need to be heated and I’m fully able to cut my sausage in half. Good cuppa tea too which helped calm my nerves after hearing the report on BBC world that fruity George Micheal had handed his chips in...I tell ya, they've been dropping like flies this year...