Who pays when a rented motorbike get stolen?

alexlm

First he gives you the  option to buy a same similar or better year bike. Which is almost impossible.  He wants to keep your passport. He then calls his connection at police station. The connection takes between 5000-10000 bht from the owner to settle this with you. You will have to try and make a deal with owner or pay him full price for new bike

9 hours ago, Seraphina said:

The VIN number should be quoted on the rental. If not, ask for it and take a photograph of it plus a photo of the people renting it to you with their shop front. It seems you never can be too careful.

what good will a few pictures do ?

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

what good will a few pictures do ?

It might make you look as if you know what you're doing....or at least show that you're thorough. If they 'find' the bike, you'll at least know it's the right one, esp. if it reappears damaged. Just thoughts....

3 minutes ago, Seraphina said:

It might make you look as if you know what you're doing....or at least show that you're thorough. If they 'find' the bike, you'll at least know it's the right one, esp. if it reappears damaged. Just thoughts....

You reckon they will inform you if the bike is "found"...

bwahahahahahaha

On 8/15/2016 at 5:46 AM, ClutchClark said:

I don't hear of many rentals being stolen.

Was the key removed?

Was the steering locked to the side?

Just curious. These details don't make a difference for the reason Ezzra indicated above.

There is a motorbike rental in Chiang Mai who was famous to steal it's own bikes back,.....when The tourist fills in the paperwork they have to name the place of stay. So at night there was somebody from the rental shop walking around , sins they have the duplicates of the keys stealing it would be easy ?!?!?! this made it's fortune as they could sell the stolen ones on the black market in Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia. and got the money back from the tourist as well....and maybe the insurance as well.....?

10 hours ago, Don Mega said:

You reckon they will inform you if the bike is "found"...

bwahahahahahaha

I think someone said earlier on that if you threaten them or similar, you'll find your bike is miraculously turns up. That's why I wrote "found" in inverted commas. Personally, I wouldn't rent a motor bike, not least of all because I can't actually drive one (!), but I do rent cars from time to time.

I'm surprised you've hired anything in your life if you hold such a jaded view of the world. I've never experienced any scams before and have never handed over my passport to anyone who wasn't in a position to process it. Surely only a naÏve person would do such a thing. Nevertheless, I am constantly surprised at the number of travellers worldwide who don't carry photocopies of their passport.

When I got a job in the ME, I was asked to hand over my passport. I told the HR dept. I needed it for travel. They countered this with, "Well, the rule is everyone hands over their passport". I asked if the CEO had handed in his passport and then gave them a knowing look before I walked away.

The company seems well managed, in Jomtien. The owner is a Farang. But he clearly wrote to me that if it was stolen, it would be my fault.

It didn't get stolen. But I just like to plan and avoid problems. So I was thinking to buy one, since in case it is stolen, or broken, I have to pay everything by myself anyway...

Edited by alexlm

On 8/15/2016 at 3:41 PM, dcnx said:

My friend had his rental stolen in Pattaya. CCTV caught someone from the rental shop stealing it. 

They were trying to pressure him into buying a new bike, and actually threatened him with violence if he didn't. He noticed a CCTV cam nearby belonging to a restaurant, and sure enough, they had it on video. He told that to the police who went to the shop, who apologised, blah, blah, blah, and that was the end of that. I think it cost my friend an extra 1000b or so to pay the restaurant people and some taxi money running around. The police wouldn't charge the shop for their crime.

Lesson from that, always lie about where you will be staying and get an extra lock for the bike that only you have the key for. Park in clear view of a camera, in a lit, secure lot, if possible. But the main thing is to never let the shop know where you are staying.

No actions where taken against the shop owner ????Thats fraud attempt, even here in i guess.Would insisting in a legal case not be followed up ????

On 8/15/2016 at 10:47 AM, evadgib said:

You'll 'buy' it at the full cost inc HP if they have it on drip. Are you sure they haven't nicked it themselves in order to bolster their fleet at your expence?

going back to the 80's this was a popular scam in patts.they had your,address [hotel] and your passport details.and the bike as soon as you were in bed.who pays YOU.