Dud grenade found under Bangkok bridge

webfact

Dud grenade found under Bangkok bridge

By Coconuts Bangkok 

bomb1_0.jpg

Photo: Ruamduai Chuaikan

BANGKOK: -- City workers in Bangkok alerted the authorities to what eventually turned out to be a dud grenade in the residential area of Ramkhamhaeng yesterday afternoon.

Explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) officers were deployed after the workers, who were cleaning the city’s drain, found a mysterious object in the traffic island of Ramkhamhaeng Road under Lam Sali flyover.

Officials sealed off the area and closed one lane on each side of the road for safety, but it turned out the object was a dud M67 grenade, according to Commander of EOD Pol. Col. Kamthorn Auichareon.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/15/dud-grenade-found-under-bangkok-bridge

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-15

11 hours ago, bkkrooftop said:
40 minutes ago, Kiwiken said:

Is this the same grenade they found about a year ago. Maybe brought out to add effect?

We will never know, but if it is  it will be back again in a drain near you  and me

I like that picture..

The bomb-expert wears a bulletproof vest but his face is totally unprotected?  Are Thai grenades programmed to not damage faces?

And what is the other guy without any protection doing there? I guess he's chasing a pokemon. He doesn't need any protection at all.

media_xl_1559807.jpg

This is a bombexpert in Europe, he must be a very vein man to wear protection like this.

of course it's a "dud"....it's been in the sewer system for over

3 years.

there was some grenade throwing at the university not far

from this location way back in 2013.  i suspect leftovers

were dumped in a storm drain when the authorities arrived.

For all you posters who are saying it was "only" a dud grenade just think how much unexploded or "dud" bombs, shells, grenades and mortar bombs left over from the Vietnam war that still go off and kill innocent men women and children in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

Or for that matter how many unexploded or "dud" bombs, shells, grenades and mortar bombs left over from WW1 and WW2 are still found in the UK and Europe.

If it is designed to go bang and kill people assume that it will still work and get the bomb disposal team to sort it out.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Fine for Europe but do they do a model with air conditioning for hot countries?

Well whats the use of wearing that bulletproof vest and soldier uniform without a helmet and face protection? He might as well wear swimmingshorts while doing this.

He can sit in an aircon car to cool down and when he has to go grab the bomb dress up and do the job. 

I don't know if there are bombsuits with aircon, i guess they exist or the Thai have to invent it themselves. I can build something like that by the way.

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

Well whats the use of wearing that bulletproof vest and soldier uniform without a helmet and face protection? He might as well wear swimmingshorts while doing this.

He can sit in an aircon car to cool down and when he has to go grab the bomb dress up and do the job. 

I don't know if there are bombsuits with aircon, i guess they exist or the Thai have to invent it themselves. I can build something like that by the way.

I suppose that it could be possible to adapt a full bomb proof suit by adding an airline pumping a/c and even attaching a phone link as well. The over pressure from the a/c could be vented out the bottom.

I just did a Google search on the cost of the suit here

http://io9.gizmodo.com/guess-how-much-this-eod-9-bomb-tech-suit-costs-1454754964

and the suit alone is $27,811.00. Via EOD (short for Explosive Ordnance Disposal) suit.

It bears mentioning that the $27,811.00 does not buy you the helmet (which, if you're going to be defusing bombs, is probably an important piece of kit); for that you'll need another $15,335.78. Not cheap. Then again, hard to put a price on your limbs, right? (though, arguably just as important is protection from an explosion's blast wave, which can purée your internal organs without leaving so much as a scratch on your skin.)

$43,000 is about 1,486,470 depending on the exchange rate and that is just for one set of kit.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I suppose that it could be possible to adapt a full bomb proof suit by adding an airline pumping a/c and even attaching a phone link as well. The over pressure from the a/c could be vented out the bottom.

I just did a Google search on the cost of the suit here

http://io9.gizmodo.com/guess-how-much-this-eod-9-bomb-tech-suit-costs-1454754964

and the suit alone is $27,811.00. Via EOD (short for Explosive Ordnance Disposal) suit.

It bears mentioning that the $27,811.00 does not buy you the helmet (which, if you're going to be defusing bombs, is probably an important piece of kit); for that you'll need another $15,335.78. Not cheap. Then again, hard to put a price on your limbs, right? (though, arguably just as important is protection from an explosion's blast wave, which can purée your internal organs without leaving so much as a scratch on your skin.)

$43,000 is about 1,486,470 depending on the exchange rate and that is just for one set of kit.

For 10.000 us$ they can buy my robot.....That's how we do it anno 2016.

But since they always overcharge me it costs 25k for a Thai.

Edited by Thian