International Flights Out Of Chiang Mai

brahmburgers

It appears as though Chiang Mai offers direct flight to Kunming, China (Is there a Thai consulate there, and if so, are they fair-mined about granting visas?). There should also be flights to Mandalay/Yangon and also to Labuang Prabang/Vientiene(?). Are there any direct to HK or Singapore or other places? I also heard about C.Mai to Chittagong in Bangladesh - is that still an option? Is there a Thai consulate there?

Couple added notes for travelers: In order to avoid Bangkok's new airport check-in procedures (though I don't know 1st hand, I've heard they are cumbersome) a traveler from the north could check in at Chiang Mai and meet a connecting flight at Suvarnbumi.

I'm in C.Rai, and though it's billed as an "International Airport" , there are no international flights in or out of here. Indeed, there aren't even any puddle hoppers between C.Rai and C.Mai - which seems odd to me - especially as we approach the height of tourist season. As much as anything else, it's an indication of how Thailand's overall tourist biz is slacking. My opinion, as an observer residing here 8 years, and who's been visiting Thailand for over 20 years: Thailand is slipping in overall tourist popularity - compared to other SE Asian destinations.

Not certain about all the international flights from Chiang Mai, though I do know that Lao Air flies from there to Luang Prabang. Chiang Rai is an international airport, and just like with Chiang Mai, you can go through immigration there and then fly to Suvarnabhumi on THAI and then onto a connecting THAI international flight without ever passing through immigration or baggage claim in Suvarnabhumi. If you are an international passenger, they will give you a sticker to attach to your outer clothing that identifies you as an international passenger on a domestic flight. Then on arriving at BKK, you will be directed towards a desk near the domestic A/B concourse intersection where an immigration officer double checks your status and allows you directly into the international departure area. Nothing to worry about if you do it that way, although of course the cost of tickets using this method would be probably quite a bit higher than it would be to fly from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang / Vientiane, or some such trip.

We've had so many topics on ThaiVisa lately about 'international fights' that I took the liberty to correct the title of this topic to 'international flights.'

Please enjoy. No fights, please. :o

On subject, I think every airport in the world claims to be international, even the most landlocked one. The American comedian Will Rogers was so plain spoken that when they named the airport in Oklahoma City after him, they toned it down to "Will Rogers World Airport."

A couple years ago, THAI airways had direct flights (from Chiang Mai) to Kunming, Luang Prabang, and other places, that didn't go through Bangkok. Their flight to Tokyo, however, went through Don Muang. Check their website for the latest flights from CNX (Thai's website is a bit difficult).

Airlines

International Airlines-Airlines Destination

Air Asia- (AK) (Kuala Lumpur)

Air Mandalay -(6T) (Yangon)

China Airlines -(CI) (Taipei-Taiwan Taoyuan)

Hong Kong Express- (UO) (Hong Kong)

Lao Aviation -(QV) (Luang Prabang, Vientiane)

Silk Air -(MI) (Singapore)

Tiger Airways -(TR) (Singapore)

Thai Airways International -(TG) (Hong Kong, Kunming, Seoul-Inchoen, Tokyo-Narita)

Domestic Airlines-Airlines Destination

Bangkok Airways -(PG) (Bangkok, Sukhothai)

Nok Air -(DD) (Bangkok, Mae Hong Son, Udon Thani)

One-Two-Go- (OG) (Bangkok)

Thai AirAsia- (FD) (Bangkok)

Thai Airways International -(TG) (Bangkok, Mae Hong Son, Phuket :D

I have written to Thai a couple of times (as if they take any notice) suggesting say a once a week stop over from/to ..say London.. :D

ie Lon-CM-Bangkok and R/T...

It would be great for Lanna tourism and more so for people who either live there or who would rather not hit Bangers.

If Burma evers gets it act together and gets rid of their :o Junta ..etc and opens up it (CM )could become a real popular GATEWAY... :D I am sure given time summit like that might happen but meanwhile its up to the little guys to get in and make the move...>>Manila,Sydney,Shanghai.Jakarta...etc........easyjet/ryanair.... :D

Also from memory seem to remember that Thai used to fly from Chiang Rai Direct to Frankfurt :D ...but MKjai

Once when I was at CNX, I noticed an announcement that there was a flight to Korea boarding, I think on Korean Air. But I know it's not a regularly scheduled flight. Probably just a special flight they add during the Korean Thanksgiving (Chuseok) or Lunar New Year (Sulnal) holidays.

mucho appreciarlo for the responses. The C.Mai to Taipei flight on China Airlines looks particularly interesting to me personally - because I could use that as a connection when I travel to the States (which I do as seldom as possible - but is necessary once in awhile). Overall, I try to avoid air travel for several reasons; Other than the ratcheting expense, it gouges large seams in the ozone layer, contributes to pollution, and the recirculated air in passenger cabins is rife with pathogens.

Yet the airline CEO's must be ecstatic with the new Thai visa clamp downs - because it forces farang to

fly much more than they would ordinarily. Do you think the decision makers in BKK thought about ripping the ozone layer and the burning of millions of gallons of additional jet fuel when they proposed their xenophobic visa mandates? Not likely, dude.