Moving to Thailand and concerned about Visa laws

Hello, I will be moving to Thailand in a couple of months and will be trying to get an English teaching job. I have heard about how the visa laws have changed and you cant just keep leaving and coming back into the country every 30 days. I am curious as to if this is truly the case or just rumors so I thought I would post here and ask. I have heard that there is now a 6 month VISA application but you have to present a bank statement showing at least 7k USD which I cant provide. I am wondering as to what my best options are as I will be looking to rent a place in Bangkok, I am self employed and have money coming into my account on a monthly basis. 

Is it still possible to just extend it while there for 30 days after getting a double entry visa, and doing this twice for a total of 180 day stay? If so what is the process behind this?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

• If you can't afford a Multiple Entry Tourist Visas (METV) then you will have to stay using Single Entry Tourist Visa's (SETV).
  • They have stopped people doing multiple back to back visa exempt entries. You would probably get 2 or 3, but could be questioned about what you do in Thailand on any entry. If they consider you are a 'visa runner' they can deny entry.
  • Visa exempt entries and SETV entries can be extended by 30 days at immigration for 1,900 baht.
  • There is no 180 day limit.
  • You would get 90 days from a SETV entry if you extend it. (60 +30).
  • You can get new SETV's from Thai Embassies/Consulates in countries local to Thailand, but each has it's own limits. You will probably get 2/3 from each location.

• Like 1

elvajero has summarized the situation well. Get an SETV from home country prior to coming to Thailand (avoids potential issues with the airline at check in: they may insist on a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days if you have no visa). Thereafter, you can get SETVs at consulates in the region and visa exempt entries. Research carefully before planning either visa runs or border hops. Some places will not be suitable. Each entry can optionally be extended once for 30 days at an immigration office in Thailand on payment of 1,900 baht.

OP - you should also have a plan for what happens when you have exhausted all your tourist visa options. If you intend to teach English, bear in mind that most of the more reputable schools that can get you a work permit (and longer term visa) require that you have a degree.

Working the tourist visa system to live here is becoming harder and harder - leaving without knowing whether they will let you back in, or getting grilled by boot faced officials each time you arrive, is a very uncertain and stressful existence. If you are planning on just a few months here, no problem, but if you want to stay longer then you'll need to think ahead on how to get a work permit.

Edited by dbrenn

do some research on teaching english in thailand if you have not done so already. lots of info on this website. if you have a good degree and can work at a private or international school you can do well. i have met many many guys here with no degree, working for govt schools for around 30 000thb per month and they are generally not very happy.

What a great forum, thank you all for the quick responses. Much appreciated.

I do not have a bachelors degree however I have an Associates Degree. I presume I would need to get TEFL certified while there? Also, I will be living on 1000 USD every month, so Im not exactly sure how doable that is. I mean, on paper it seems like it should work.

Rent and utilities $300

Food $ 100

Transportation $100

Entertainment and incidentals $100

What am I missing here

Not sure what I should do about cellphone. I currently live in the states and pay about $100 a month, I have a Galaxy 6. I figured it would just be easier to keep my plan instead of buying a phone when I get there which would be expensive. Although I guess I could just keep my current phone and get a simcard and prepaid plan when there and save about 75$ a month and cut back on expenses that way.

It would certainly make sense to obtain a TEFL certificate at the beginning as that in itself will increase your options. Keep your current phone and try to find a deal here, should be a lot less than $100. 

Your budget looks doable, but a lot depends on where you choose to stay - location wise and accommodation wise. Chiang Mai is a nice place to stay and you are likely to meet a crowd of people you can hang out with, and it is affordable. I'm guessing you've done your homework on that matter?

15 minutes ago, moving to thailand said:

I do not have a bachelors degree however I have an Associates Degree. I presume I would need to get TEFL certified while there? Also, I will be living on 1000 USD every month, so Im not exactly sure how doable that is. I mean, on paper it seems like it should work.

Rent and utilities $300

Food $ 100

Transportation $100

What am I missing here

Not sure what I should do about cellphone. I currently live in the states and pay about $100 a month, I have a Galaxy 6. I figured it would just be easier to keep my plan instead of buying a phone when I get there which would be expensive. Although I guess I could just keep my current phone and get a simcard and prepaid plan when there and save about 75$ a month and cut back on expenses that way.

If your phone is not locked to a company in the states you can get a sim card here and use the phone. If it is locked there are ways to have it unlocked so it will work here.

Or you could buy a low cost phone here.

I only pay 320 baht for post paid phone service and that includes 2.5 GB of data.

Jack, thanks so much for the informative response. Cambodia is actually something I have considered a bit here and there, its even cheaper but I read an article about how health care there is absolutely atrocious and people die there very young. The life expectancy is apparently so much lower because the hospitals are unsanitary, there are diseases prevalent etc. However I have not been there so I have no idea how exaggerated that is, perhaps if you have some experience living there you could shed some light on this. And yes the easily obtainable long term visas make it seem like a much more enticing option in this current time.

49 minutes ago, moving to thailand said:

Rent and utilities $300

Food $ 100

Transportation $100

What am I missing here

Have you considered how you are going to afford to pay for Health care Insurance out of your budget?

53 minutes ago, moving to thailand said:

Rent and utilities $300

Food $ 100

Transportation $100

What am I missing here

"What am I missing here."What you are missing is enough money.Come for a holiday,suss it out and go home and think about it for a few years.

46 minutes ago, moving to thailand said:

Rent and utilities $300

Food $ 100

Transportation $100

What am I missing here

There are some wonderful experts on this forum regarding visas, work permits and extensions. Some have commented already and there advice and information is valuable.

I'm more concerned about the teaching. Have you ever taught? Teaching is a profession. Teachers have degrees, PGCE's, experience and develop skills. Not everyone who wants to can teach. Would you be allowed to teach in your own country? Private schools are most likely to ignore anyone who isn't a qualified and experienced teacher. Public schools, especially in the provinces, are less choosy but the pay is low. The Thai MOE is getting stricter on teachers qualifications and Thai private schools are opting more and more for Filipino teachers who they pay lower than Westerners. Many of those Filipinos do have degrees and teaching experience too.

You can try an adult college, depending on what you want to teach. If it's English btw, how's your knowledge on grammar, diction, punctuation etc? 

That leaves you with the private language schools. Lots of those about and not all are too choosy from what I here. 

I'm playing devil's advocate a little - but please don't expect to come here, do a job you're not qualified to do and would not be employed as such in your home country, expect to be readily welcomed or treated favorably, and earn big bucks.

15 minutes ago, moving to thailand said:

Ronuk I have not thought too much about health care. I suppose I am just going to count on the fact that I wont get too sick and if I did I would hope I could nurse myself back to health as you can still pretty much get whatever you need out there the same as here in the U.S.

Good luck but don't get sick or have an accident where you need sustained treatment in a hospital. Trust me when I tell you that it will finish you financially. It is easy to rack up a 500,000-1,000,000 Baht medical bill when your least expecting it.
Don't even think of coming to Thailand with no Medical cover or £20k in the bank as a back up for health care. $1000 a month is absolutely nowhere near enough money to live in Thailand to have a reasonable life.As a Farang, very few can live like a Thai. Which part of Thailand are you thinking of living?

23 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

Good luck but don't get sick or have an accident where you need sustained treatment in a hospital. Trust me when I tell you that it will finish you financially. It is easy to rack up a 500,000-1,000,000 Baht medical bill when your least expecting it.
Don't even think of coming to Thailand with no Medical cover or £20k in the bank as a back up for health care. $1000 a month is absolutely nowhere near enough money to live in Thailand to have a reasonable life.As a Farang, very few can live like a Thai. Which part of Thailand are you thinking of living?

What you say is right for you and i'd say right for me also but there are people who like to take bigger risks. It is not wrong. Up to them.

1 hour ago, moving to thailand said:

Jack, thanks so much for the informative response. Cambodia is actually something I have considered a bit here and there, its even cheaper but I read an article about how health care there is absolutely atrocious and people die there very young. The life expectancy is apparently so much lower because the hospitals are unsanitary, there are diseases prevalent etc. However I have not been there so I have no idea how exaggerated that is, perhaps if you have some experience living there you could shed some light on this. And yes the easily obtainable long term visas make it seem like a much more enticing option in this current time.

Don't put too much stock into Cambodia... the ''ordinary'' visa is also considered by their law enforcement and immigration as a ''business'' visa..and yeah you can extend it for up to a year ...but toward the end of the visa the police will come looking for you and want to know why you have'nt opened  in a business or have a steady job and a work visa.. I know ,lived in Siem Reap for a year .  And they came knocking on my door, as they did to other expats..for the aforementioned reason. And it was not a freindly visit either.

16 hours ago, moving to thailand said:

Thai hospitals range from very cheap (and not very good) to very good (and equally expensive).  Basically, you get what you pay for.  If you get really sick, be prepared to pay top dollar for good to decent health care.  Pay less and you take your life in your hands.

The easiest long term visa to get is the 5 year Thai Elite visa.  But that requires 500000 baht up front.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DKNY77 said:

''$1000 a month is absolutely nowhere near enough money to live in Thailand to have a reasonable life.As a Farang, very few can live like a Thai. Which part of Thailand are you thinking of living?''

Absolute B.S.

Unless you're a whoremonger , are a devout hardcore deviant lush, have a girlfreind that fleeces you continually of your $$ ,eat in restaurants constantly..and basically a fool w/ your money...than yes maybe 1000$ is'nt enough...in Bangkok.

..CM - ..I know expats who have 1000$ month income, that have a nice studio aptartments w/kitchen ,,nice bldg. ,safe,secure, fast wifi, quiet excellent location ..near night bazaar,completely furnished,electric, cable , wifi, water,AC ,balcony,large frig, stove, ,all inc 7000baht.. they eat out occasionally ,have gym memberships, cold beer in their frig,date thai girls  and want for nothing..and still save 100-200 per month...

Give me your experiences not 'Who you know' where do you live in Thailand and on how much? Most are not interested in sitting in a shoebox studio apartment playing on the Internet all day because they have no funds to lead a proper life.

Your post has done no more than confirm to me what a miserable life it would be living on a $1000 a month. The only possible reason I can think to live like that, would be not being able to afford to live in your country. How do these so called people you know afford visas, health care etc and still save $200 a month? I've been in Thailand 25 + years and I tell you now, $1000 a month to pay everything is a miserable life.

4 hours ago, moving to thailand said:

I do not have a bachelors degree however I have an Associates Degree. 

So, you don't have a degree then which makes your idea of teaching in Thailand go out of window....unless you have income from your own country or a bank of mom and dad. To teach in Thailand you don't need TEFL, you need a degree to get a work permit. If you don't have a degree, you will be teaching illegally.

I am quite surprised that there are still people who teach in Thailand this way. While it doesn't bother me at all, I am really wondering how do they manage to do this in the current climate. You earn 30,000 a month, so that's 300,000 a year max because you are illegal and won't get vacations and holidays paid. Four (4) visas including extensions will cost you 15,600 a year. Cheap condo including electric water and internet 150,000 a year. Trips to Cambodia or Laos...well, add another 10,000 to your budget (this is the cheap backpacker way).  This would be life worse than any hole in UK or USA..... and this is coming from me.... the forum cheap Charlie.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, moving to thailand said:

The medical in Cambodia is enough to get you through dengue, severe-dysentery, or similar - but I would not recommend it if you have a heart-condition.  Cambodian dental can be good and very inexpensive - about 1/4 the Thai cost, and 1/10 the USA-cost.  The savings from one root-canal + crown could pay for your airfare. 

Even in the cheaper conditions I described in Phnom Penh (well above their definition of 'poverty'), you would not be at high risk of disease - the tap-water is heavily chlorinated, etc.  Those living in the street or in the sticks - a very different story.  I find the food (even street food) to be generally safe - but I spent years Central America and Mexico, so you could argue my bar is set a bit lower than someone coming from Switzerland. 

I believe there are insurance policies that include "shipping you" to Thailand for treatment of anything serious - similar to what Euro-folks buy when they come to the USA, to return them to a "civilized" country for treatment.

Thai medical can be top-notch if you pay for 1st class, and it is a fraction of the USA-costs for everything.  Even the "public" option is far better than what "ordinary" people in the USA receive - I have seen this first-hand.  If you do get a work-permit, including as a volunteer, you get access to the public-health system.  Barring that, health-insurance here costs a fraction of USA-options.  At a minimum, get a catastrophic policy that covers anything beyond what your savings can adsorb.

8 hours ago, DKNY77 said:

Don't put too much stock into Cambodia... the ''ordinary'' visa is also considered by their law enforcement and immigration as a ''business'' visa..and yeah you can extend it for up to a year ...but toward the end of the visa the police will come looking for you and want to know why you have'nt opened  in a business or have a steady job and a work visa.. I know ,lived in Siem Reap for a year .  And they came knocking on my door, as they did to other expats..for the aforementioned reason. And it was not a freindly visit either.

My understanding is you do need to buy a work permit for ~$100 / year - a new development - and they will require you pay for past-years' permits.  Please correct me if there is more to it than this, or I have the costs wrong - my time in Cambodia was before this change. 

He can get the visa as VOA, without any paperwork, and if he is teaching there, he should buy the work-permit.