Marriage or retirement visa

I’m a 66 year old Brit, looking at retirement latter this year, and have a few questions,

I don’t see any post’s explaining the procedure for a marriage/retirement visa, but if there are could someone point me towards them?

So which do you think is better, a marriage or retirement visa, I qualify for both, but am leaning towards a marriage visa, for what I’s worth I think it demonstrates a more stable life style.

Must you show proof that the 800K in the bank came from abroad??

I have a Non O visa, valid for 90 days, I make the visa application during the last 30 days, but is there a cut of point before which the application should be made. Will they accept the application 7 days before my Non O visa expires??

Thanks.

Having had both extensions, marriage and retirement, I would recommend the latter. Much simpler, less paperwork and easier to complete. Remember the difference in funds is 400k for marriage extension and 800k for retirement. No proof required that the funds came from abroad but must have been in the bank at least 2 months before initial application.

The big advantage of an extension of stay based upon marriage is that the financial proof is only 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income verses 800k baht or 65k baht income for retirement.

The extension based upon marriage requires some more paperwork and your wife has to be with you when you apply. There is a 30 day under consideration period after you apply and at the end of those 30 day you return to immigration to get your extension stamp.

Actually the marriage extension is not viewed as more stable - but as more suspect - because those living here and working illegally often use this method in sham marriages to stay here.  You are likely to find treatment for retirement is both better and an easier experience.  You can apply up until the last day of permitted stay but if using money in bank would do as soon as you meet the 2 month first time requirement as no time lost for doing early (assuming within the normal 30 or 45 days prior allowance.  

The Marriage option is not as difficult as some on here will have you believe.

In fact it is quite easy.

However, if you qualify for both, Immigration will push you towards retirement as it means less work for them.

It is also a little easier for you and your Wife.

1 hour ago, Eclipse said:

The Marriage option is not as difficult as some on here will have you believe.

In fact it is quite easy.

However, if you qualify for both, Immigration will push you towards retirement as it means less work for them.

It is also a little easier for you and your Wife.

And beware, if you married your teerak in the UK, Immigration will probably insist on some verification of your UK wedding certificate, which will necessitate you undergoing a tediously time-consuming, complicated and bureaucratic legalisation process, courtesy of our "beloved" government back in Blighty, as referred to in this recent thread for example:-

Edited by OJAS

I have had both types of extension, and yes retirement is quicker and easier, I have just renewed marriage extension at KhonKaen

I choose marriage extension, because I believe the immigration rules here in Thailand could change at any time

I believe the marriage extension is safer than the retirement, and less likely to be changed, and even if changed;if you already have; you will probably be grandfathered into the new one, on existing terms, it also demonstrates a greater commitment than a retirement extension

I personally feel we are very much tolerated, rather than wanted, by the nation as a whole

In the majority of the rest of the world if married we would have far greater rights than we are granted here in Thailand

There are also totally separate rules for  women married to Thai  men , which many say is discrimination

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, al007 said:

I have had both types of extension, and yes retirement is quicker and easier, I have just renewed marriage extension at KhonKaen

I choose marriage extension, because I believe the immigration rules here in Thailand could change at any time

I believe the marriage extension is safer than the retirement, and less likely to be changed, and even if changed;if you already have; you will probably be grandfathered into the new one, on existing terms, it also demonstrates a greater commitment than a retirement extension

I personally feel we are very much tolerated, rather than wanted, by the nation as a whole

In the majority of the rest of the world if married we would have far greater rights than we are granted here in Thailand

There are also totally separate rules for  women married to Thai  men , which many say is discrimination

Yes I was thinking along the same lines about the marriage visa being safer in the long run, plus I have been married for 34 years.

Thanks to everyone, some food for thought in all of your replys.

My only worry with continuing with the Marrieage option would be if they changed the financial requirements.

The last time this happened the retirements requirements were Grandfathered.

The Marriage option was not.

This makes me think that getting on the retirement ladder would be safer and protect me from future increases.

Apart from that I have no problems following the Marriage route.

Edited by Eclipse

1 hour ago, Eclipse said:

My only worry with continuing with the Marrieage option would be if they changed the financial requirements.

The last time this happened the retirements requirements were Grandfathered.

The Marriage option was not.

This makes me think that getting on the retirement ladder would be safer and protect me from future increases.

Apart from that I have no problems following the Marriage route.

The last time they raised the requirement was to adjust for a the change of exchange rates. If I recall correctly it was 250K baht in the bank for an extension based upon marriage which at 25 baht to the dollar would be $10,000. The 400k baht at the time would still be $10,000 using the 40 baht exchange rate in effect when they changed.

Retirement was grandfathered but was only for those who had been on extensions prior  to October of 1998 (2003 was when it was changed if my memory serves me correctly) and is dependent on a persons age on that date.  Many people did not get grandfathered the way it was done.

I really think they would grandfather those of us that are doing it based upon marriage in some way or the other. Perhaps not the original amount but some reasonable amount with time to make adjustments. 

• Like 1

While I "liked"  a post about how a married guy thinks none of us foreigners are especially viewed as "bad" here vs. the retired guy, I should remind us all that we're here with simply one year "Permissions to Stay" and that permission could change on a dime -- to use American slang.

The fact we gave our Thai partners huge sums of money to buy homes or businesses is irrelevant.  We're still here with a one-year permission to stay.  Think about that for a while. 

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

While I "liked"  a post about how a married guy thinks none of us foreigners are especially viewed as "bad" here vs. the retired guy, I should remind us all that we're here with simply one year "Permissions to Stay" and that permission could change on a dime -- to use American slang.

The fact we gave our Thai partners huge sums of money to buy homes or businesses is irrelevant.  We're still here with a one-year permission to stay.  Think about that for a while. 

It is always amazing to me the folks that do not think about this before investing in Thailand. Thailand is a great place to live NOW! But, the future is , well a yearly thing? Many things to love about Thailand. Retirement security is not one of them IMO.

Edited by garyk

I believe I read through all the posts.... seems to me it's missed here.... with the marriage extension your wife must be physically present with you at immigration... for visa extensions and reentry permits.  only you yourself ever need to appear at immigration for a DIY retirement visa. that can be a much bigger difference than the 400K in the bank esp. if she works and the office you go to ends up being a long time waiting for the whole thing to get done.  that also means that there isn't much of a difference, just this little stuff. but maybe not so little. every year. 

Edited by maewang99

4 minutes ago, maewang99 said:

I believe I read through all the posts.... seems to me it's missed here.... with the marriage extension your wife must be physically present with you at immigration... for visa extensions and reentry permits.  only you yourself ever need to appear at immigration for a DIY retirement visa. that can be a much bigger difference than the 400K in the bank esp. if she works and the office you go to ends up being a long time waiting for the whole thing to get done.  that also means that there isn't much of a difference, just this little stuff. but maybe not so little. every year. 

The only time the wife needs to be present is when the one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) application is done.

Not sure who told you otherwise.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NancyL said:

A while eh? Since I got here in 1968 how long should I think about it?:rolleyes:  Is 48 years long enough?

• 1 month later...

I have a married visa  O and want to change to a retired visa O. What paper do I have to complete with?

Can I start to do this 30 days before I do my extansion ?

And is there some importent things I have to think about.

My reason, it is more easy and then I dont have to go to Airport Chiangmai. I like Promenada better. 

/I try to find threads - but didnt

4 minutes ago, JanPeder said:

I have a married visa  O and want to change to a retired visa O. What paper do I have to complete with?

Can I start to do this 30 days before I do my extansion ?

And is there some importent things I have to think about.

My reason, it is more easy and then I dont have to go to Airport Chiangmai. I like Promenada better. 

/I try to find threads - but didnt

You change the reason for your extension of stay not your visa.

You will apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement using a TM7 form instead of marriage. You will need to show the financial proof needed for that type of extension extension including the need for the money to be in the bank for 3 months. The new extension will be done on the date you apply.

They may start your new extension on the date you apply for it instead of when the current one ends.

Correct - I change the reason for stay. My extension of stay expire 24/12. A lot of tourist at those days so if I apply for that change now - I also change from december to october for my annual extension of stay?

I dont want to move that amount of money,to a Bank here. Is it ok if I can show my month incom > 65 000 bath?

Somebody says that I have to show document about I havent done crime? Or maybe in the TM7 form I can read myself what require.

I appreciate your answer ubonjoe? Thanks.

There is no police report required for extension - that is required for visa in home country.

For income you will need letter from your Embassy listing the amount you receive each month.

But suspect you will only be served within 30 (or 45) days of current extension expiration date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JanPeder said:

Correct - I change the reason for stay. My extension of stay expire 24/12. A lot of tourist at those days so if I apply for that change now - I also change from december to october for my annual extension of stay?

I dont want to move that amount of money,to a Bank here. Is it ok if I can show my month incom > 65 000 bath?

Somebody says that I have to show document about I havent done crime? Or maybe in the TM7 form I can read myself what require.

You will not be able to apply any earlier than 30 days before your extension ends.

You can use the income option by showing proof of 65k baht income or by way of a letter from your embassy.

You do not need a criminal background check to apply for the extension of stay. That is only needed to apply for a OA visa at a embassy.

The TM7 form does not list any requirements for the extension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JanPeder said:

Your wife should accompany you when you go to Immigration as they may wish to check with her whether she is OK with the switch from marriage to retirement.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

for a visa based on marriage one of you must be Thai.  how would that be assumed as "stable"? at all I mean? I don't get it. and for many of us our spouses also tend to have a significant age difference.... on top of that huge cultural difference which is bigger here than elsewhere as we are social creatures. are you kidding? if you are over age 50 you rarely ever get younger. that is the stable assumption. here's a question.. maybe.  if the rules are changed again.. i.e. how much money in the bank was 200,000 now 400,000, I don't know anyone in this... that got "grandfathered".... with the 200,000 rule for marriage or the old 400,000 for retirement... if you choose marriage versus retirement or viceversa and later they change the rules and you are grandfathered (allowed to only satisfy the old limit)... are you only grandfathered as to the type of visa you had when they change the law?  or do you get to later change between them? not really important... but it is money you have to keep stuck in a retail bank for a while. 

Edited by maewang99

You seem to be talking to yourself (but I may just not be able to understand being over 50) but yes grandfathered only applied to current extension type and ended if lapsed or changed.   Money is never stuck and you always have access (per bank rules).  But if it falls below requirement it can not be used for extension until it remains above the required amount for the required period of time.