Documents Required For Non O in Vientiane

I'm going to Vientiane later this week to apply for a Non O visa based on retirement. I have 2 questions:

1. I have the 800,000 baht in my bank account. Do I need a letter from my bank confirming that the funds came from overseas?

2. Do I need proof of residence in Thailand?

Thanks

On 16 August 2016 at 1:18 PM, ubonjoe said:

1. You will not need a letter from the bank. Only your bank book and copies. I suggest you update it just before you start your trip.

2. If asked for proof of address about anything would be accepted.

Joe, I am afraid that you are wrong. Whether it's a recent change or simply a stroppy immigration officer, I was required to produce a letter from my bank confirming my latest balance, a letter I didn't have based on information read on TV. I had original bank books as well as copies updated the previous day but no good.

The agent suggested I went to SCB in Vientiane who would be able to provide the letter. That didn't work either as apparently the Thai and Laos systems are not linked.

It wasn't an entirely wasted trip as I acquired a 60 day tourist visa instead which, with an extension from the Immigration Office, will do me for the foreseeable future. I'll get an OA when I'm in England in November. But these things are just so ****ing annoying!

37 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Joe, I am afraid that you are wrong. Whether it's a recent change or simply a stroppy immigration officer, I was required to produce a letter from my bank confirming my latest balance, a letter I didn't have based on information read on TV. I had original bank books as well as copies updated the previous day but no good.

The agent suggested I went to SCB in Vientiane who would be able to provide the letter. That didn't work either as apparently the Thai and Laos systems are not linked.

It wasn't an entirely wasted trip as I acquired a 60 day tourist visa instead which, with an extension from the Immigration Office, will do me for the foreseeable future. I'll get an OA when I'm in England in November. But these things are just so ****ing annoying!

Not sure where you were at when you had a "stroppy" immigration officer. There are none stationed outside the country that I am aware of.

When were you asked for the bank letter? There have been no recent reports of it being needed.

eThere are many documents that  may not be strictly required, but some may be valuable if questioned.

Probably not at the consulate in Vientisnne, but they may be wise to hsve with you if asked.

I agree they may not be required......but having a folder with you with the original dovument and a copy can't be that much of a burden to carry.

Maybe it is just my nature, but i prefer to have some documents i think might be asked for just in case asked.

i carry a Manila envelope around with me on  visa runs with such documents in it, just in case.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
correct typos

I've just been to the Thai Consulate in Vientiane and they do require a bank letter. So, it's back to Chiang Mai with a tourist visa which hopefully I can convert to an O visa at CM Immigration.

I did apply for an O visa in New Zealand before I came to Thailand, but was told they didn't issue that kind of visa. They really do seem to be making it difficult to retire here.

2 minutes ago, nalmal said:

I've just been to the Thai Consulate in Vientiane and they do require a bank letter. So, it's back to Chiang Mai with a tourist visa which hopefully I can convert to an O visa at CM Immigration.

I did apply for an O visa in New Zealand before I came to Thailand, but was told they didn't issue that kind of visa. They really do seem to be making it difficult to retire here.

NZ consulate does retire Visa

http://www.thaiembassy.org/wellington/th/services/779/17702-Non-Immigrant-O-A-Visa-(Retired).html

21 minutes ago, nalmal said:

Yes they do, but I didn't want an O-A, just an O visa which I could extend for 12 months in Thailand.

I have never heard of an O visa. Most visa's are based on a reason, visit wife, retire etc

I think its possible to have a tourist Visa and get a OA visa, but only in BKK, 

Ubonjoe is very Knowledgeable about anything to do with Visa's

20 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have never heard of an O visa. Most visa's are based on a reason, visit wife, retire etc

I think its possible to have a tourist Visa and get a OA visa, but only in BKK, 

Ubonjoe is very Knowledgeable about anything to do with Visa's

A OA visa can only be applied for at a embassy or consulate in your home country or country of legal residence.

A non-o visa can be issued for several reasons and one of those is for being 50 or over.

• Like 1

You can only get an OA visa in your home country. A Non Immigrant O visa is different. It can be obtained at many Thai Embassies and extended for 12 months in Thailand.  A tourist visa can also be converted to an Non Immigrant O visa in Thailand (only at Bangkok and Chiang Mai Immigration I believe).

I just returned from Vientiane last Wednesday.  I went with a UK friend who was applying for and O visa based on retirement.  He had his bankbook details, Thailand address, etc.  The officer insisted he must also have a bank letter and refused him the O visa.  He got a tourist visa and will have to go back again in 60 days with the bank letter to get the O visa.  Oh well.

And that would be last week Wednesday, August 10.

Edited by Ken
expand on date

4 hours ago, nalmal said:

Strange, just back in NZ at present, my non O expired.Rang the Thai consulate and they emailed me the forms and requirements list, this is the third one I have done with them.

I have a thai wife and a child,they don.t require bank records or proof of funds  for a multiple or single entry Non O.

Just birth cert of child and marriage cert + passport copies of wife and child.

You can not renew this visa at immigration office every 90 days you have to do a border run, if you choose the single entry you can renew at immigration office but if you cross the border it's cancelled.

If you want an OA which can be renewed at local imm office's then you require bank records from  Thai bank, or a letter from the Thai embassy in your home country as well as police report.

You can use an agent in Thailand who will get you an OA for 20/ 25 k.

I can get an OA here but only from the Thai embassy in Wellington as consulates are limited in the types of visa they can issue.

• 1 year later...
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 3:03 PM, Ken said:

I just returned from Vientiane last Wednesday.  I went with a UK friend who was applying for and O visa based on retirement.  He had his bankbook details, Thailand address, etc.  The officer insisted he must also have a bank letter and refused him the O visa.  He got a tourist visa and will have to go back again in 60 days with the bank letter to get the O visa.  Oh well.

And that would be last week Wednesday, August 10.

Hi Mate is there any chance you can provide full details of documents required for a UK person requiring this Non -O single entry visa for retirement in Vientianne, ive been looking around and not to successful I wish there was a dummys guide fo this. thanks cheers

4 hours ago, dutchdog3000 said:

Hi Mate is there any chance you can provide full details of documents required for a UK person requiring this Non -O single entry visa for retirement in Vientianne, ive been looking around and not to successful I wish there was a dummys guide fo this. thanks cheers

At this time Vientiane wants a medical certificate and police clearance to get a single entry non-o visa plus financial proof.

Savannakhet will do one with only financial proof. If using the 800k in the bank option the will also want proof you retired. If using the 65k baht income they will accept the letter from your embassy to prove it but may also want to see some funds (20k baht) in a bank as well.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

At this time Vientiane wants a medical certificate and police clearance to get a single entry non-o visa plus financial proof.

Savannakhet will do one with only financial proof. If using the 800k in the bank option the will also want proof you retired. If using the 65k baht income they will accept the letter from your embassy to prove it but may also want to see some funds (20k baht) in a bank as well.

thanks UbonJoe this is great info, just one more question on passport expiry date is it 5mths  or 18mths cheers

23 minutes ago, dutchdog3000 said:

thanks UbonJoe this is great info, just one more question on passport expiry date is it 5mths  or 18mths cheers

It is 6 months for a single entry visa.

With less than 6 months you would not be able to enter Laos.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is 6 months for a single entry visa.

With less than 6 months you would not be able to enter Laos.

thanks again I just read the other day on Vientiane  thai embassy website that for single non-o the passport must be valid for at least 18mths and other site just said 6mths so I was a bit confused as always cheers