UK Citizen, living in Germany and marrying a Thai

Hello everyone, 

I am a UK citizen who has lived and worked in Germany the last 11 years. I am self-employed and have just started a LTD company in Germany and now also employ my fiancé, who is still living and working in Thailand. We plan to marry in Chantaburi in January and will return to Germany to live and work.

My questions are:

1) Do I need to contact the German or the UK embassy in Bangkok to sort out a spouse visa for my future wife?

2) Does my future wife need to speak German to A1 Standard to come to Germany? Or as I am a UK Citizen is this not necessary?

3) Any idea how long such a spouse application would take? Would she be able to get a temporary visa to come Germany whilst the spouse application was being processed? She has already visited me in Germany twice this year on a tourist visa. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Angus

1. She need a visa for the family member of a EU citizen.
2. No
3. She apply for a visa and in Germany she apply for a residence card (Aufenthaltskarte) for a family member EU at the local foreigner office (Ausländerbehörde).

Edited by mgb
  • Like 1

As a EU national in an other EU/EEA country Freedom of Movement ( Directive 2004/38) applies. This means your spouse can get free visas with minimal hassle and requirements for short stays but also for inmigration. Some EU nationals return to there home country after a while: the EU route or as Britons may call it, Surinder Sighn. 

So your wife can get a free type C (short stay with the purpose of visiting family) visa, and after arrival apply for residency like MGB explained. Since your wife visited you previously I assume you got the maritial papers all in order for the free short stay visa. If she takes those papers (marriage certificate and translation of it in a language that the Germans can understand, preferably all legalized by the Thai MFA and German or British embassy) plus a birthcertificate (again with translation and fancy stamps), she should be all good to go and settle with you. And indeed no language requirements apply.

• 2 weeks later...