Tiny house bungalow ? how to move it easily from one land to another ?

innocenthai

It's not unusual to see homes in rural Thailand be moved by the entire village, from one  location to another. I suppose all you need to do is to ensure you can separate easily the body of the house and all it's connections to utilities, from the posts it stands on.  A sensible design might also include spacing the piles in such a way that a flat bed or low loader can back underneath it for transportation to its new location. Sounds like the design could be a fun project.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A caravan perhaps.......but good luck finding somewhere to park it and hook up to utilities.

Gotta love this bit though...." no problem with deposit to an official administration/office, but never ever to a Thai owner/landlord." difficult to decide which one would be the most dodgy!!

192420angela20box20type20caravan.jpg

The simplest option is build a palm frond house or grass house, it is cheap and readily available in Thailand. Thai's can also work cheap and construct it for you without special skills or tools. If you have to move you just abandon the grass and take your stuff.

You can build these grass huts quiet large if you want to with a large canopy to create shad. Will work better than air conditioning if there is a breeze. You can use mud and bit of cement and make an adobie floor or even benches to sit on.

If you can find a family owned island they will probably rent you some land. These called palapaspalapa.jpg

Edited by Don Chance

Saw these "tiny homes" on the internet some time ago.   I looked around at small plots of land in and around San Diego County last time I was back there.  Remember being a bit surprised at irregular plots for what I considered a reasonable price - like $60,000 USD.   Not sure how these tiny homes are categorized, maybe as mobile homes(?).  

Imagine the shock and horror of a new American girl friend under the correct impression I own my own land and house, then we pull up the driveway the first night and my headlights pan across the tiny house mansion. 

Taxi !  :lol:

6 hours ago, Don Chance said:

The simplest option is build a palm frond house or grass house, it is cheap and readily available in Thailand. Thai's can also work cheap and construct it for you without special skills or tools. If you have to move you just abandon the grass and take your stuff.

You can build these grass huts quiet large if you want to with a large canopy to create shad. Will work better than air conditioning if there is a breeze. You can use mud and bit of cement and make an adobie floor or even benches to sit on.

If you can find a family owned island they will probably rent you some land. These called palapaspalapa.jpg

wont work better than an aircon if there is a breeze but he could also do the same with BAMBOO houses, lifespan 4-5-6-7 years and just set fire to it when he leaves, I have them for my staff as they wreck everything and cant keep anything  clean either so after 5  or so years we burn it and order a new one, comes on the back of a lorry  about 25k baht ceiling and walls  lined with woven bamboo same as on the front side u can just see it

bamboo.jpg

No need to have it permanently on a trailer with wheels. You have to keep messing around with it that way. Just put up a few simple pilings and if you have to move it get a lowboy trailer with a truck to move it. a couple of planks and a couple of car jacks you can set just about anything onto a lowboy in less than an hour. I have moved several homes onto trailers when I was younger without issue. 

One issue will be is how high is the house and how many power lines are on the route. This was a very expensive thing to do if you had to get power company engineers to do it back in the states. I think they were charging something like $1,200 per connection to do this. So we would move the house halfway through the wilderness on back roads to avoid low power lines. So ideally build something with a flat roof.

This would be if you want something a little more substantial size wise than a camper or hut.

Edited by anotheruser

On 8/18/2016 at 4:17 PM, Gracas said:

You may want to consider buying a shipping container (20 Ft., 40 Ft.) however many you need and converting it into a home, many have done it. I have also seen places in Bangkok that do this.

At least you know they are robust enough to be moved without falling apart, also easy to get a truck-trailer to move it.

I made an earlier reply but this occurred to me afterwards. Better solution than something that is permanently on wheels on my opinion. Even if you have a trailer with wheels I wouldn't use this to permanently set the dwelling on. It looks like the pic of the tiny house has a trailer but you would slide the house off of it if you wanted to stay awhile. 

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

One house ready to go ,still applying the wood preservatives when I was there ,it is made of  various woods .

Price 250 000 baht .

RIMG0187.JPG

RIMG0186.JPG

Nice looking bungalow. Do they make it so you can add a toilet to it? I am guessing it doesn't have one already?

I think labour is about 1000-2000 bhat a day in Thailand for a carpenter. Maybe a week to build that bungy, 2 guys. Can't believe materials would cost that much.

A big problem is the monsoon and rainy season with high humidity. Even concrete builds have mold problems. Anything with wood or structure seal up will be  a problem. Will require airing out or venting. If you have a camper van you probably don't want to live on it during that time and probably have to pay for storage.

I've seen in Goa ( that gets big monsoon) old buildings with thick concrete walls and clay tiles on the roof, they last a long time and stay cool during the day, good in the rain. There are big gaps for roof ventilation.

1789_5500_Exterior%202.jpg

@ Don  Chance.

If your  are  paying a carpenter  1-2 000/ day  you will have them  queuing around the block , that is a good wage    I would say  an average  wage   for a carpenter would  be 5-600  baht  a day .

The  cost of building our  small bungalow  type  house  is in  the wood , which is  an  expensive  commodity  in Thailand ,  a lot of red hard woods  are now  imported from  neighbouring  country's, Thailand  having about run out of a lot of wood ,ask  a  builder  how much to build an  ordinary  house  and he will give you a price ,ask him  to  build a wooden house ,he will say " Pang-Mark,Mark,"  very  expensive , not many wooden houses built  now ,unless you are in the top 10% bracket .

Or  you buy the trees yourself  ,probably   Mie- Sadao  ,  Neem  wood ,plenty of that  about  locally  ,and plank it up yourself , I suppose the advantage of doing it to your own design    ,a bathroom  could be built in ,a septic  tank  would sill have to be dug .

@ anotheruser.

You are right  there is no toilet/bathroom  fitted ,what I have seen  no prevision  for adding one ,one would have to be  built ,another cost ,and a problem ,when you want to move the house ,unless it is a tin shed type , not very  good to look  at , but that could be dismantled  .and  moved .

On Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 5:49 AM, innocenthai said:

No thank you, no interest to have anything official with Thai. If I could I would have a yacht to live on and avoid this land. I am not interested by the people and their world, I just want cheap food and hot weather. I also don't want to give a deposit to rent anything anywhere, I just want to pay for a land monthly and leave whenever I want anywhere I want, so do you think that it can be possible to put a tiny house or bungalow on wheels ?

In case these people still do not understand the chance they have to have foreigners spending their money here I will move somewhere else with my house on wheels.

You are in the wrong place for so many reasons! Go back to where you came from.

2 hours ago, alofthailand said:

You are in the wrong place for so many reasons! Go back to where you came from.

What a useless reply. I certainly know Thailand better than you, at least enough to know that I love to live here when I don't speak to anyone and when nobody interferes in my life. After years in business I now like to live an only cash no strings life, and I am sure that it's not you from you Esarn farm who is going to stop me.

Edited by innocenthai

On ‎23‎/‎8‎/‎2559 at 11:39 PM, Don Chance said:

So it's made out of teak? Does it cost 2000 bht for one plank?

What's with that roof, plastic?

I  originally  wrote   it was made of  mixed wood ,where it was made  was a builders  yard , they probably  used what wood they had in stock .

There  is some made of teak ,out  of town on a permernert  site ,with all the utility's  connected  .a Thai resort .

Go in to your local  builders merchant  and ask about the price of Teak  wood ,he will probably give you a quote ,per  "Sorp", a Thai measurement ,which is about  1 meter , and you will be surprised how expensive it is .

The roof is the same as you have on your house ,fibre cement  sheets ,on steel roof joists .

If the op  wants a cheaper house ,one made with a  steel frame  and deca wood  panelling  would do the job ,a lot cheaper than  a wooden house , but it would not look the same .

Saw this one in Argentina, it's about as long as a compact car.  Note the battery.  The tiny tires and being so close to the ground make it impractical, IMO.

tow.jpg

Edited by bendejo

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2016 at 8:28 PM, kickstart said:

One house ready to go ,still applying the wood preservatives when I was there ,it is made of  various woods .

Price 250 000 baht .

RIMG0187.JPG

RIMG0186.JPG

for 250 k you could  build way  better in block and just abandon it.

I built this one for about 150-200k

IMG_4535.JPG

IMG_4484.JPG

• 5 months later...

, I want exactly what I have asked, a tiny house on a metallic frame to let the land owner know that he can make problem anytime as I can move anytime within 1 day...

If you make a problem with the land-owner, then I suspect that he will lock the gate to access/exit the land.  What are you going to do then with your tiny house?

But here is some more practical information.  I think you will find it very hard to just find a plot of land that you can park your tiny house on, and come and go as you wish.

Rather, you need to lease a piece of land, on which to park your tiny house.  A non-Thai can lease land for up to 30 years.  If you go to the north Thailand region, then you should be able to find a plot of rural land for a monthly rent of say, 10,000 baht per half rai (I was only paying 16,000 baht for a half rai in Phuket).

You lease the land on a pay per month/quarter basis - there is absolutely no reason to have to pay upfront for the whole lease period - I have leased plots of land in Phuket on 4 occasions, and never had to pay upfront.  If the landowner won't agree to a quarterly payment, then go and look for another plot of land.  

You can get the lease formalised/registered at the local amphur, but you'll have to pay the land tax for the whole lease period.

Your lease contract (my ones had this), bound the landowner to lease the land to me for the whole lease period - he had no 'get-out' clause.  But I had a get-out clause.  If I stopped paying the monthly rent for 3 months, then the landowner could repossess the land. but I was under no contractual obligation to pay the balance of the outstanding lease period.

Finally, if you park a tiny house on your land, I guess that it will not be defined as a permanent dwelling.  Therefore, you do not need to worry about planning permission, utility taxes etc, and can park your tiny house on agricultural land.

You can dig a well for water, dig a septic tank or use a dry toilet, use wind and solar for electricity, and plant your own fruit and veg in your half rai of land, all 100% legal.

Just make sure that the landowner can't lock the gate!