Cambodia proves fertile ground for foreign surrogacy after Thailand ban

geovalin

Surrogacy agencies outlawed in Thailand, India and Nepal have upped sticks for Cambodia, where the practice remains unregulated

After a long day of selling snacks at her son’s primary school, Kew, who is seven months pregnant, squats on the Bangkok pavement to take a rest. The single mother has no idea whose baby she is carrying, or where its future parents live. She says it makes no difference to her.

“The first time I did surrogacy, I discovered that the baby was for a Spanish couple. Two gay men,” she says. “For me it’s all the same, as long as I get paid.”

In two months the 26-year-old will receive the final instalment of her 300,000 baht (£6,600) surrogacy fee. It will be enough to finally pay off the loan sharks who make her mother’s life in northern Thailand miserable. She may even buy some land. “No other job lets you earn this kind of money,” says Kew, who earns of about 250 baht a day from her food stall.

read more https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2016/aug/19/cambodia-foreign-surrogacy-thailand-ban