One Year Multiple Entry Visa

A casual freind just came back from Penang where he says that he obtained a one year multiple entry visa, and that they told him that he no longer has to leave the country on visa runs. That he can get each 3 month visa stamped at Chiang Mai Immigration.

Does this sound correct?

A casual freind just came back from Penang where he says that he obtained a one year multiple entry visa, and that they told him that he no longer has to leave the country on visa runs. That he can get each 3 month visa stamped at Chiang Mai Immigration.

Does this sound correct?

Anything is possible , but alas Georgie, highly improbable. It'd make sense ... they'd keep more money in Thailand for a start. But, as ever, logic isn't part of the equation.

ok Doc

the question was for a mate who has just finished work here in thailand, he doesn t want to do monthly visa runs and was going to fly to perth to get a 3 month visa

I told him that I thought he could do it in malaysia and that I would ask.

will check for some more details from him

ok Doc

the question was for a mate who has just finished work here in thailand, he doesn t want to do monthly visa runs and was going to fly to perth to get a 3 month visa

If your friend is off to Perth, then he should check out the honourary consulate there. As a multiple one year shouldn't be to hard to get

ok Doc

Perth or Brisbane would be best for multiple entries.

Does this sound correct?

Anything is possible , but alas Georgie, highly improbable. It'd make sense ... they'd keep more money in Thailand for a start. But, as ever, logic isn't part of the equation.

Sorry Doctor, I forgot about this post.

I'll ask the guy again when I see him.

Doctor, I went and saw this guy last night.

I know him pretty well and he is not stupid or a liar.

He says that the "Thai Consulate" in Penang told him personally that there is a new system for the one year multiple entry visa (this guy has a B ), showed him that they have removed the bit at the bottom about not being able to extend the visa, and told him that he could extend it in Chiang Mai every three months for one year.

He said that he didn't apply for anything special, but I think that he said that he paid 500 Malaysian dollars for it. Does that sound right?

Someone should check this out.

Doctor, I went and saw this guy last night.

I know him pretty well and he is not stupid or a liar.

He says that the "Thai Consulate" in Penang told him personally that there is a new system for the one year multiple entry visa (this guy has a B ), showed him that they have removed the bit at the bottom about not being able to extend the visa, and told him that he could extend it in Chiang Mai every three months for one year.

He said that he didn't apply for anything special, but I think that he said that he paid 500 Malaysian dollars for it. Does that sound right?

Someone should check this out.

A multi costs about $US125 in the States

This guy is adamant that it is for real, and I must say, why would the consulate pull him over for special instructions if it were not real?

He's a big businessman about town, and I can't see him going around telling everyone about it if it were not true.

Let's hope that it is! :o

Does this sound correct?

Back in Feb of this year I met with an immigration lawyer in BKK, one who himself served as an immigration officer for 15 yearws and who still has tight connections with the Taw Maw, and he told me that as of March 2004 (I forget the exact date in March), Thai immigration law was going to be amended so that you could renew Non-B visas every 90 days without leaving the country. While I was sitting in his office, in fact, he phoned someone at Suan Phlu, who confirmed that the change was on schedule.

I think I remembered mentioning it on this forum but no one else had heard anything about it. I haven't spoken with the lawyer since Feb so haven't had a chance to find out what happened. I had no reason to follow it up, either, as I renew my stay once a year with work permit, etc.

Anyway, when your friend tries this towards the end of his first 90 days, let us know what happens.

I went and saw this guy again. He showed me the visa, and it is missing the part about not being to renew it.

He says that you can only get it stamped in Thailand if it one of these new visas that don't forbid renewal, so people with older visas have to keep doing visa runs until you get a new one.

I would say that this is about 95% sure to be for-real, so people should start hearing more about it soon.

I for one am tired of unnecessary visa runs, when I am trying to run my business.

Has Immigration done something very right? :o

i was down in Penang about 10 days ago.My 1 year nonB mulitple entry has also had the"extension of stay not permitted" crossed out and signed by immigration.Others on the minibus had exactly the same thing.Very interesting..Would be great just to pop down to the local immigration office istead of actually leaving the country.

i was down in Penang about 10 days ago.My 1 year nonB mulitple entry has also had the"extension of stay not permitted" crossed out and signed by immigration.Others on the minibus had exactly the same thing.Very interesting..Would be great just to pop down to the local immigration office istead of actually leaving the country.

Penang stamps that on the visa stickers. The reason is that if you get rejected in Bangkok for some reason, they can always refer to that stamp.

All, I repeat All, Non-Immigrant visas can be extended, regardless of what is stamped on your initial visa. You need the proper paper work, though.