Who attacked who? Cop claims he is the victim after video posted online

webfact

Who attacked who? Cop claims he is the victim after video posted online

p4.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A cop claims that he is the victim of a vicious attack by a woman at a police booth in Bangkok - and it was all over a bike going through a red light.

Pradit Thaiyakorn, 57, a long serving policeman, has reported the matter to colleagues at the Nonthaburi station saying that he was attacked by Patjira Ngernkrung, 39, reported Daily News.

He was pictured with bruises, scratches on his face and his ankle strapped in a bandage. It was sprained, he said.

Patjira - who had been a passenger on the back of a motorcycle taxi - had earlier complained that she was the one who was attacked first.

A video taken by friends was posted online - our pictures are stills from the incident.

Officer Pradit said that he was driving his own bike in the area yesterday and was waiting at the lights at the Pracharat intersection when a bike with three females on the back went through the red light.

He gave chase and told the driver - known to him later as Amphon Buathong, 29, - to stop. He went with the driver to a police booth where he is based to issue a ticket. 

But, he said one of the women who had been on the back of the bike came into the booth and started swearing and shouting at him.

He said that he told her not to interfere and that it was between the police and the rider but she would not desist. He warned her that he would charge her for her conduct and then she got very violent and started hitting him repeatedly with hands and feet.

"I was just doing my duty," said Pradit "and I have made the counterclaim at the police station to protect my reputation". He laid charges against the woman of disrespecting an officer doing his duty, obstructing an officer in the course of his duty and common assault.

But Patjira claims that the policeman was the one in the wrong and likewise reported the matter to Nonthaburi police. A video of the incident was taken by the other women on the back of the bike.

Reporters later on Thursday caught up with the rider of the bike who turned up to pay his fines. 

Amphon said he was not involved in the alleged assaults and moaned that he had had to pay 5,200 baht in fines and was just a motorcycle taxi driver. 

He was charged with seven offences including not having a license, going through a red light, no tax, no insurance and no helmet.

He added that he was just taking the three women around the corner.

A spokesman at Nonthaburi police Patnaphat Dechachotiphisit said that both charges of assault would be dealt with separately and that justice would prevail for both parties.

He confirmed the injuries suffered by officer Pradit who had needed to go to Pra Nang Klao hospital. He said that Pradit was an officer of good character who always fulfilled his duty well.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-19

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

not having a license, going through a red light, no tax, no insurance and no helmet

Apart from that he was fine   :rolleyes:

Only 5 not have's - it's ok, just a few minor infarctions - carry-on.  

7 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

not having a license, going through a red light, no tax, no insurance and no helmet

Apart from that he was fine   :rolleyes:

More to the point he was a motorbike taxi driver...

But I suppose had it not been for the assault he would have just paid the usual ticket-less fine?

What this highlights is there are motorbike taxis that have no insurance, willing to carry passengers without helmets and will drive through red lights, time to crackdown M/C taxis, 5k is a lot for the guy but I bet he is out there now trying to make up the lost earnings and still not got insurance or helmets, they need to take the bikes of these guys for a week or so before they will get the message.

2 minutes ago, Basil B said:

More to the point he was a motorbike taxi driver...

But I suppose had it not been for the assault he would have just paid the usual ticket-less fine?

What this highlights is there are motorbike taxis that have no insurance, willing to carry passengers without helmets and will drive through red lights, time to crackdown M/C taxis, 5k is a lot for the guy but I bet he is out there now trying to make up the lost earnings and still not got insurance or helmets, they need to take the bikes of these guys for a week or so before they will get the message.

The assault happened in the police box where he was being officially fined, and considerably more than your normal back-hander.

her friend posted the evidence of her assaulting the cop, wonder why. they are playing the footage on thai tv and it certainly looks like she  is upset and instigating the fight. poor copper was just doing his job and end up with quite a few cat scratches under his chin. wonder how much the assault will cost her.

The officer actually saw a multitude of infractions occurring. Went out of his way to do his duty and cite them. Acted on his own? No road stop or daily directive to do so?

Wow....maybe a first for the entire country. 

Issue the officer an official Eric Entrada signed poster from CHIPS.

Edited by NickJ
None

50 minutes ago, smedly said:

he should have arrested her on the spot and put her in cuffs using whatever force he needed to use.

I so agree!! In US, she would have been hog tided and thrown in cell!!! Appalling behavior to a Police Officer!!

Edited by zmaf
Mispelling

14 minutes ago, colinneil said:

From what i have seen the cop showed great restraint.

You can see he is defending himself, not attacking anybody.

Woman should be jailed for assault and disrespect for the law.

Agree!! Didn't see the Officer not once assault her...he was defending himself by avoiding the assaults from her!! Total disrespect and abuse to an Officer doing his job!!

If all the officers did this....might even save quite a few lives.

The mind set of the Thai people needs to be changed from....Cops want money....to I better not break the law.

19 minutes ago, zmaf said:

I so agree!! In the US, she would have been hog tied and thrown in a cell!! Appalling behavior to a Police Officer!

Fortunately we're not in that hell hole where it's more likely she would have been very violently assaulted, tasered multiple times or even more likely shot dead.

1 hour ago, chasntong said:

But not charged for 3 passengers!!!

I don't know why the cop did not lock the loud mouthed passenger up, would we get away with attacking the police?

I wonder of the size of the either ones to fit on one bike, given the fatty one in the video already taking most of the space..

officer Pradit should be lauded for doing his job, something that is uncommon among the BIBs as of late. my greatesg criticism of him is that he should have put that woman in her place. disrespecting an officer? ok, forgiveable. but assaulting one? that's a crime. i would've pulled up my service pistol to her face just to keep her in line. i salute you, officer Pradit! keep those tickets flying and rid thailand of those habitual violators

While the officer showed restraint, it does illustrate how poorly trained he is. He physically cannot control a single woman, verbally or physically.  No tactics.  Good thing she did not grab his gun.

All he had to do is back away and wait for more officers. she is just a pissed off woman. No weapon.

There is absolutely no way to know who was in the right here. A potentially corrupt cop, or some woman who could not handle getting busted for committing five traffic offenses. In the US she would lose her bike, be charged with not having a license, going through a red light, no current license plates, no insurance, no helmet, and assaulting a police officer. That would be thousands of dollars in fines, the likely loss of a license, if she even has one, and perhaps two years in prison. Here, she is probably just going to walk away from all of this, due to a fabulously ineffective judiciary. No deterrent, equals no correct behavior, and no motivation to behave correctly on the road, resulting in thousands of deaths annually. 

1 hour ago, zmaf said:

I so agree!! In US, she would have been hog tided and thrown in cell!!! Appalling behavior to a Police Officer!!

Put your hand on an officer first and she would have been taken down, put in restraint, sent to jail, after cooling off, posted bail and had court appearance set. Ha! What am I talking about....in a galaxy far, far away. I am sympathetic with Thai culture trying to avoid direct conflict in a case like this but.... (And yes, well aware, that when restraint boils over...Katy, bar the door).