Yamaha FJ 09

Briggsy

I went into the Pattaya Yamaha (actually Mityon) dealership today and came out with perhaps more confusion than when I went in.

1. The bike I refer to as MT 09 Tracer (the sports tourer) is known as the FJ 09 here. I thought it has the same engine as the MT 09 (the naked/streetfighter) but the salesman insisted it was not the same engine and the streetfighter was raeng (powerful/fast) whilst the Tracer aka FJ 09 was not. Is this right? If so, is it just weight differences causing acceleration differences? Or is the FJ 09 considerably detuned? Confused.

2. I asked if the MT 09 (the naked/streetfighter) had a windshield and luggage available as an option. Oh yes, said the salesman. Do you have a price list, I asked. Oh no, he said, we would need to order them from Japan and we have never done that before. You would be better sourcing them yourself here. Confused.

If that is the case, has anyone added a windshield and (hard, easily removable) luggage to the MT 09? Or would I be better off with the FJ 09 if that is what I needed?

Any advice would be helpful. Particularly from Yamaha MT 09/FJ 09 owners.

Adding a windshield to the MT09 is a one minute job.

Lots of them on the internet.

I don't use luggage bags so can't help you there.

I also thought the engine in the two bikes is the same. Probably a bit less power for the FJ-09 because of the weight difference, but I think it is really not worth mentioning. Google is your friend :)

According to an official Yamaha website, both models have exactly the same CC, same horse power and same torque.

With an 80kg falang rider on top, the weight difference is about 7%, shouldn't make a world of a difference.

Consistent with my experience with my local Yamaha dealer in Phuket when talking about big bikes: they have no clue :)

It's the main reason that puts me off of buying a Yamaha in this country. Oh and the same dealer doing mainly scooters doesn't inspire confidence in the skills of the eventually needed mechanics. A shame as they have some really nice bikes now.