Smoked Out

thinkthink

I am been renting my apartment for some time.

I like the greenery, the convenience of the BTS, 7-11 and food stalls around here.

Just 1 month ago, a new occupant move into the unit just above mine.

This guy seems to be lighting up most of the time at his balcony.

Now whenever I open my balcony door,  the smell of cigarette smoke will drift in.

Sometimes it can very overwhelming.

By the way, the guy happens to be a Thai.

Can anyone share their ideas on such a situation?

I hope there can a feasible solution without having to move out as it has taken me a while to locate this nice little place.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live next door to a mainland Chinese bloke who is the obligatory chainsmoker. I just have to close the balcony doors. It could be worse, you could be living next to people who have loud parties at 2 o'clock in the morning.

your problem is one - , if not the top - , issue of complaint of apartment occupants in australia. living so close to each other is bound to create problems.

in the (far) future, adjacent apartments (condos), or even whole building blocks, will be lifestyle - matched. it is just laziness on behalf of the managing agents that this does not happen already.

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

Sorry, but there are no laws against people smoking in their own homes, gardens or balconies in Thailand. The same in every other country I think.

3 choices really, either grim and bear it, keep your balcony door closed or move.

Some buildings condo management bans smoking on balconies

The smoke can go down as well as up as the breeze hits the building. When I used to smoke the guy below used to throw water up at me. I'm not suggesting you do that though. 

Edited by Wiggy

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Sorry, but there are no laws against people smoking in their own homes, gardens or balconies in Thailand. The same in every other country I think.

3 choices really, either grim and bear it, keep your balcony door closed or move.

Wrong.    In some states in Australia, balcony smoking is not permitted, nor is smoking in certain streets.  It was like trying to run the gauntlet in certain city streets, when the office workers came out for their cough and spit.

Australia also defeated the big "C" guys when they objected to smokes being removed from display in stores.

My thoughts about your smoking neighbour, makes me think of leaving some old rope smoking - smoke rises!

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why don't you buy one of those big fans and every time he smokes turn it on to blow the smell towards him, or even just away from you?

only solution IMO….although he might come over and kick you in the head for it. proceed with caution.

One fan in your apt blowing out. Another on the balcony blowing up his way. 

I agree that even though there might be a rule, doubt you could enforce it. It could even turn into a nasty smoker vs non smoker battle. 

Fortunately, my service apartment building is totally non-smoking. However, a few years ago I rented a room next to a smoker. The walls were so thin that the smoke seeped through and drove me nuts. I had to wear a mask to sleep. I moved out the next month. Best move of my life. 

Edited by pearcerf

You could try and actually talk (in a nice way)  to the 'offender' and surprise, surprise he may be a totally reasonable chap and comply to your wishes.

I like a cigar of an evening, especially on hot, sunny days, over my iced strong cider in the garden, but out of consideration to the family and my neighbours I shift ho to the top of the garden away from the houses at 'lighting up' time. Not all smokers are out to make a nuisance of themselves no matter how much thin skinned, whiny, non-smokers, may think they do....

don't 'move', if something that minor annoy's you then the next place is going to have loud music, i find it hard to beleive that this guy spends his entire life on his balcony smoking, when he does smoke just shut your door and use the aircon.

39 minutes ago, NickJ said:

One fan in your apt blowing out. Another on the balcony blowing up his way. 

I agree that even though there might be a rule, doubt you could enforce it. It could even turn into a nasty smoker vs non smoker battle. 

Build a wall and make HIM pay for it.

You should live next door to my sister in law.she doesn't smoke but when she lights up the wood burning BBQ to cook for her family,and the wind is in the right direction,its like an old London fog.Then we have the charmer who decides to burn rubber at 4 pm.Although,i have to say,i haven't noticed the smell of rubber of late.Hopefully he has suffocated on his own 175x14 Firestones.

smoker here

lady upstairs mentioned that when I smoke on the balcony in the night, the smell enters her bedroom making it difficult to sleep

she is Thai and was very nice and polite about the situation

I stopped smoking on the balcony 

I am considering buying a large fan to blow the smoke away from the building to see if this works for both of us

I had also approached her about watering her plants and the water pouring onto my balcony

she stopped

maybe you could by a fan to blow the smoke away from your doors and even offer to buy your neighbor one as well

diplomacy can sometimes go a long way to working out problems and concessions

hopefully the man is not an ass and you can work something out with him where both of you are happy

ps,,, going to try quitting again as soon as I return to Thailand

11 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

in some countries you can not smoke if it can be smelled by neighbours - unfortunately Thailand is not one of them...

"Can anyone share their ideas on such a situation?"  Yes stop your whinging and stand outside front door for fresh air. It is his condo and he has the right to smoke out on the balcony. What makes you think you have more rights than him? This is SE Asia not farangland with their softcock laws. He obviously smokes on the balcony so as not to offend others inside his condo. Do you expect him to go down to the carpark every time he wants a smoke just so you can open your door? I do not believe some of you people sometimes. Live and let live. Other option is move but I am sure you will find others there that you will find offensive for some pitiful reason.

34 minutes ago, callaway said:

"Can anyone share their ideas on such a situation?"  Yes stop your whinging and stand outside front door for fresh air. It is his condo and he has the right to smoke out on the balcony. What makes you think you have more rights than him? This is SE Asia not farangland with their softcock laws. He obviously smokes on the balcony so as not to offend others inside his condo. Do you expect him to go down to the carpark every time he wants a smoke just so you can open your door? I do not believe some of you people sometimes. Live and let live. Other option is move but I am sure you will find others there that you will find offensive for some pitiful reason.

Smokers should have the right to smoke. Non-smokers should have the right to breath smoke free air. The non-smoker doesn't have "more rights". 

Fans are cheap to run and two placed on the balcony in the correct positions should be able to keep the smoke out.

I used to get the rancid stench of balaa waft into the 20th floor every afternoon around 4pm. I couldnt pin it down to where it was coming from as most of the rooms around me were empty. At least it masked the stench from the russian smoking on the balcony above me. I sold up.

Edited by tomyumchai