Tourists shocked as man, 22, stabbed in Sukhumvit Soi 1 after stepping on someone's foot

rooster59

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

My problem is that the "this happens everywhere" brigade are as blinded by their obsessive need to defend all things Thai are as bad as the bashers.

No that's not it at all but when people with a siege mentality use moronic exaggeration to describe the country as the LOS - Land of Stabbings - you have to point out and laugh at their ignorance.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

No that's not it at all but when people with a siege mentality use moronic exaggeration to describe the country as the LOS - Land of Stabbings - you have to point out and laugh at their ignorance.

An acronym, like lots of others. It is no more or less valuable than the equally false LOS - Land of Smiles.

Winnie

1 hour ago, Agent Sumo said:

LOS Land of Stupid reactions asinine behaviour...Land of Silly walks...really "siege mentality" maybe the press should not report them and then we can believe Thailand is once again the Land Of Smiles

3 hours ago, Agent Sumo said:

I agree but the ''this happens everywhere'' mentality is no better.

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I agree but the ''this happens everywhere'' mentality is no better.

How do you work that out?

It's totally valid when people try to make out that Thailand is somehow more deserving of a description like "Land of Stabbings" than any number of countries around the world that have a far worse reputation for violence.

On 21 August 2016 at 3:19 AM, C5VETTE said:

Shocked just because the don't understand Thainess:whistling:

Thats not Thainess.

When i was 16 i stood on someones foot in a night club in Bristol

The guy smashed a bottle over my head and in the fight that followed my friend was stabbed.

Not everything bad that the Thais do is because they are Thai. Sometimes its because they are human.  

1 hour ago, simonuk said:

Thats not Thainess.

The guy smashed a bottle over my head and in the fight that followed my friend was stabbed.

Not everything bad that the Thais do is because they are Thai. Sometimes its because they are human.  

Human, or drunk.  Like most of these stories, yours took place in or right in front of a bar.  Or on the path that makes up a bar crawl.

1 hour ago, simonuk said:

Thats not Thainess.

Any other excuses you'd like to make for the poor luvvies? They do what they do because they are under-intelligent, under-educated, lack principles and have little empathy with other people (all adding up to IQ and EQ). All these things are related and boil down to neglect and exploitation of the people by their governments over a long period of time and this government is no different except it is probably the worst in living memory. The same applies to all 'developing' (read 3rd-world) countries, many in Africa, and many used to be in South and Central America, also in Asia.

The crime rate in Thailand is offensive to people in or from more  developed countries, and it frankly doesn't help when someone who's been here for 10 minutes and still hasn't washed the stars out of their eyes comes along and tells us all is well and beautiful when it demonstrably isn't and demonstrably should be a lot better but for the muppets that these people elect to manage them.

Bangkok's crime rate is more than twice that of England and Wales, also higher than Northern Ireland and Scotland. https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/nov/30/new-york-crime-free-day-deadliest-cities-worldwide

And you're absolutely wrong to say Thais don't do what they do because they're Thais. It's exactly because they are Thais. Everyone must take responsibility for what happens in their country; Thais do not yet understand the concept of personal responsibility and this is still in their possible futures. Americans do what they do because they're American and immersed in the cultures of America, same with the Brits, the Aussies and Thais.

Don't excuse violence, criminality and venality, these things are universally inimical to civilisation.

Winnie

2 hours ago, kevvy said:

I rather live in this country than other countries . There is violence in all countries , some more than others . I feel safe here ..

You could feel safer living in a hole in the ground. Secure but devoid of the benefits of civilisation. Thailand is a violent and crime-ridden country, and that's just based on the stats they admit to. The country isn't secure or safe just because you feel safe. That's an insular and uninformed conclusion to draw.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

5 hours ago, Agent Sumo said:

How do you work that out?

It's totally valid when people try to make out that Thailand is somehow more deserving of a description like "Land of Stabbings" than any number of countries around the world that have a far worse reputation for violence.

No it's not valid as it bears no relevance to the story.

Those who make out it is only in Thailand these things happen and the apologists with their 'this happens everywhere' line are equally prejudiced as they both view a story with a preset agenda.

Edited by Bluespunk

8 hours ago, Winniedapu said:

You could feel safer living in a hole in the ground. Secure but devoid of the benefits of civilisation. Thailand is a violent and crime-ridden country, and that's just based on the stats they admit to. The country isn't secure or safe just because you feel safe. That's an insular and uninformed conclusion to draw.

Winnie

Maybe I do not want to live in a hole ! If I feel safe then who are you to tell me different ?

• 2 weeks later...

The Thai can not be located and if he is a small 500 baht fine no court required. The police have a 20 year reform the toilet bowl plan. That old pensioners chief of police will be in a casket around that time. The draft will be burnt and warrants out for previous leaders.

On 8/22/2016 at 0:55 AM, Bluespunk said:
On 8/23/2016 at 2:41 AM, kevvy said:

Maybe I do not want to live in a hole ! If I feel safe then who are you to tell me different ?

Yes they act against foreigners due to most of the police are not real. Police. They are Thais for Thais amatures racism is strong here along with poor upbringing and education 

On 8/21/2016 at 9:19 AM, C5VETTE said:

Shocked just because the don't understand Thainess:whistling:

Nonsense! The very limited travel experienced farangs, always reveal themselves.

Similar incidents occur daily on the streets of Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Lagos, London, Los Angeles, New York, Paris, Sao Paulo, etc. Shall I continue?  Give the Thai bash "thing" a rest, for a change. Ok?

50 minutes ago, TuskegeeBen said:

Nonsense! The very limited travel experienced farangs, always reveal themselves.

Similar incidents occur daily on the streets of Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Lagos, London, Los Angeles, New York, Paris, Sao Paulo, etc. Shall I continue?  Give the Thai bash "thing" a rest, for a change. Ok?

They do say the Spanish fight with knives though I've never seen it.However one has to wonder

if the thugs with access to ready cash have a get out of jail free card; then why control their

aggression when it flares up?

Edited by swanny321
editing

3 hours ago, swanny321 said:

They do say the Spanish fight with knives though I've never seen it.However one has to wonder

if the thugs with access to ready cash have a get out of jail free card; then why control their

aggression when it flares up?

Huh? Perhaps you intended to post your comment, to a totally different topic thread, eh?

3 hours ago, TuskegeeBen said:

Huh? Perhaps you intended to post your comment, to a totally different topic thread, eh?

Nope.Just responding to your comment.In my travel experience there are many places

where the populace are so terrified by the thought of being incarcerated that in an incident

like this they would swallow their pride...so why not here?!?

12 hours ago, TuskegeeBen said:

You'll have to do better than that. Indeed, stabbings happen everywhere and Thai bashing gets on my nerves too, but you have to admit that the tiniest loss of face in this part of the world can have a dramatic outcome as we see day in, day out. Any of us could inadvertently find themselves in the same position. 

5 hours ago, swanny321 said:

Nope.Just responding to your comment.In my travel experience there are many places

where the populace are so terrified by the thought of being incarcerated that in an incident

like this they would swallow their pride...so why not here?!?

Sir! Please get a clue. I never made any such comment that you claim to be quoting.

Perhaps the TVF moderators will consider creating an "Ebonics" language forum for subscribers who speak/comprehend your peculiar version of the English language. :blink:

39 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

You'll have to do better than that. Indeed, stabbings happen everywhere and Thai bashing gets on my nerves too, but you have to admit that the tiniest loss of face in this part of the world can have a dramatic outcome as we see day in, day out. Any of us could inadvertently find themselves in the same position. 

I agree about the hyper-sensitive, and temperamental nature of people in this part of the world. However, those same characteristic traits are universal, and not peculiar to SE Asia. 

Now, if you can do better than what I've previously posted,  then by all means, do so.I always welcome an upgrade to my own knowledge base. Cheers!

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

"Face" is used to explain away all kinds of crap on this forum.

Stepping on someone's foot in the shebeens of West London today will land you in hospital with punctured lungs too but it'll have <deleted> all to do with a loss of face for the party with slightly scuffed shoes 

This was street shit - nothing more