Place to stay in Chiang Mai for 2 Months

myauq

Hello fellow Thaivisa-ers,

I'm planning a trip to Thailand early November, and I'd like to stay in Chiang Mai for 2 months.  Ideally I'd like to rent an apartment/condo, rather than just booking a hotel.  Hopefully that will be cheaper.  I want to stay relatively close to the city to work on a project I've been doing online (I can do this anywhere with a decent internet connection), but also want to travel around the countryside on my days off.  It's not a requirement that I stay in Chiang Mai, but it seems like a lovely place to take my work for a short time.

Do you have any recommendations for places to stay?  I was thinking my budget would be around 6,000 - 12,000 baht.  I don't really know what is realistic at this stage, but I am expecting to find somewhere that is much nicer (and far cheaper) than the shit box I'm currently renting in my home country (Australia).

Also - how would I go about renting such a place?  Can I book it online, or do I need to make arrangements when I get there?

Any advice on the payment, location, places and possible prices would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

What you want is a Thai Apartelle.  Most other condos want six month leases...or longer.

There are some basic ones if you cross the street from Airport Plaza Shopping Mall.  (Walk toward town 500 meters then turn right. They are more like furnished studios....but not a full kitchen. Don't need to cook anyways, as there is lots of food available nearby.

If you have a scooter, there is a decent place going south, down canal road (3km) on the right, for 10,000 a month.  Great views.  I stayed there. Clean and nice views.  Large rooms with sofa and tables/desk and good wifi.

Edited by slipperylobster

Suggest you do not book anything online.  Come to CM, find a reasonable hotel (500-700 baht per night), stay a few days and begin your search for longer term rentals.  Loads of places rent out decent rooms, wire internet, TV, aircon, hot showers, etc for 5000 baht per month.  Also, suggest rent a bicycle for the 'looking around' part as much easier to stop and check out the room.  IMO, far safer than a motorbike, esp if unskilled. 

P.S.  This is precisely what i did years ago and cannot find fault with the plan.  I went to the Green Palace Hotel, near NimmenHaemen area.  600 per night.  

I stayed for a couple of months in a place called "Sunshine House" ... it was modern, friendly, close to the walled part of the city and walking distance to Nimman Road, Maya Mall and very close to a big Mall with a supermarket (the name escapes me). The wi fi was good, so no issues with working.

You can book as a daily rate hotel or a monthly rate ... if my memory serves me right it is around 9,000 Baht plus bills ... so would be within your budget. The daily rate is more expensive. 

Check them out by website (google it) and email them. Not a big place, but this time of year you may be in luck.

Strongest possible recommendation. Contact the website "stayinchiangmai". This company is run by a very charming young couple, Stig and Noi, and they have fully renovated modern condos all over Chiang Mai available as holiday rentals from a few days to a few months. Cant go wrong with them, I promise you!

There is a company called Chiang Mai properties use google

This will give you some ideas as the costs and may give some locations to where you want to stay

i used them for my condo location but visited the Condo office and got one to suit my requirements

Others may gave more information

hope this helps a fello Ozzie

Find somewhere you like on Agoda then Google them to see if they have a website; many places do and on the website they'll often offer monthly rates which are significantly cheaper than the day rate.

As an alt look at Smith Residence, lived there for 2 years, decent play to stay and rooms start at 7k a month.

stayinchiangmai this company is one of the most well run companies i know in chiang mai i put my parents in one of their short stay rooms was given a thai mobile phone with the room so was easy to reach them anytime of the day with out the hassle of going to get them a thai sim card just for there 2 weeks stay .

Stayinchiangmai properties don't look too bad.  For short stay next to Maya 42sqm bedsit with wifi etc 15500Bht per month including a clean.  It certainly interests me.  But it was the cheapest available for September.  With wifi - speed - who knows?

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A total of 11 posts have been removed for trolling the resultant replies to them. Time to start all over again and get the topic back on track.

Thank you! A return to sanity!!!

Get here, book a hotel for a few nights, contact a falang real estate like perfect homes, an english speaking hot Thai girl will drive to your hotel and then drive you around to all the available condos, pick one, hand over 2 months bond and the 1st month rent and move in that day or the next.

Its what i do, i do 4 month stays and never encountered minimum 6 or 12 month periods

I can recommend Viangbua Mansion ( http://www.viangbuamansion-chiangmai.com/ ).  Baht 12,000/mo with room cleaned and linen/towels changed 3 times/week.  1 minute walk to Thanin Market as well.  Get a room with a view of Doi Suthep.  I've had a number of friends stay there for extended visits and they highly recommended this hotel/service apartment complex due to it's cleanliness, friendliness of staff and value for money.  These friends rented scooters instead of relying on public transport.

I agree with their views based on the few times I've visited Viangbua Mansion 

Best wishes!  :wai2:

Edited by Microwave
spelling mistake

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for you responses - I really appreciate it!

My other requirement would be a good gym, but I'm assuming there will be a few around the town.  I wouldn't mind paying the 10,000+ baht rate if it included some good weights and equipment.

On 22 สิงหาคม 2559 at 7:45 AM, AlexRich said:

I stayed for a couple of months in a place called "Sunshine House" ... it was modern, friendly, close to the walled part of the city and walking distance to Nimman Road, Maya Mall and very close to a big Mall with a supermarket (the name escapes me). The wi fi was good, so no issues with working.

You can book as a daily rate hotel or a monthly rate ... if my memory serves me right it is around 9,000 Baht plus bills ... so would be within your budget. The daily rate is more expensive.

Check them out by website (google it) and email them. Not a big place, but this time of year you may be in luck.

Thanks for that information. They are advertising at 7,000 for a standard room.

The big mall is Kad Suan Keaw.

Be aware that the apartment type places may charge wifi, electric, cleaning etc on top of the rate. You won't really need aircon at that time of the year but still add on approximately 1500 baht per month. Some hotels that are primarily day rate do also offer a really keen monthly rate and they probably include cleaning, bills etc. I know it is a bit above your suggested rate but as an example the very new, sparkly clean Hotel Montha which is right in the heart of the city and all the action has a daily rate of 750 baht but reduces that to 500 per day if you stay one month. The Veerachai Court is more of a long stay place but is also right in the heart of the city and you will get a decent room for about 10000 with the add ons. 

The only slight drawback is that you will be fast approaching high season (if there is going to be one this year) so prices may be a bit less competitive than they are now.

Another Poster has recommended the Smith Residence (which appears to have a good reputation). Last year i actually contacted them online with a view to booking onine and they eventually replied that they were full. When i arrived in town i discovered they still had a number of rooms. Sometimes that is the way it is here.

I think it is fair to say that in general the further out of the centre the more you will be able to get for your money, for me personally though i would prefer to be able to walk everywhere.

Edited by rogeroc

On 17 กันยายน 2559 at 9:09 PM, rogeroc said:

Be aware that the apartment type places may charge wifi, electric, cleaning etc on top of the rate. You won't really need aircon at that time of the year but still add on approximately 1500 baht per month. Some hotels that are primarily day rate do also offer a really keen monthly rate and they probably include cleaning, bills etc. I know it is a bit above your suggested rate but as an example the very new, sparkly clean Hotel Montha which is right in the heart of the city and all the action has a daily rate of 750 baht but reduces that to 500 per day if you stay one month. The Veerachai Court is more of a long stay place but is also right in the heart of the city and you will get a decent room for about 10000 with the add ons.

The only slight drawback is that you will be fast approaching high season (if there is going to be one this year) so prices may be a bit less competitive than they are now.

Another Poster has recommended the Smith Residence (which appears to have a good reputation). Last year i actually contacted them online with a view to booking onine and they eventually replied that they were full. When i arrived in town i discovered they still had a number of rooms. Sometimes that is the way it is here.

I think it is fair to say that in general the further out of the centre the more you will be able to get for your money, for me personally though i would prefer to be able to walk everywhere.

Be aware that some places are not guest friendly, if that is one of your requirements.

• 2 months later...

re

the rooms are OK but a bit basic.  It's B7,000 per month, which I can't complain about.

life in town on the moat smallest rooms start at 6500 baht a month

and you can have a city or mountain view

coz i know someone who lives there :)

kawasaki trophy shop and life in town 5 feb 12 2012_02050153.jpg

chiang mai city view blue sky left 12 nov 15 20151112_124458.jpg

doi suthep blue sky 10 jun 13 2013-06-10 09.36.43.jpg

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:58 AM, Mousehound said:

So - I presume you have arrived.  What did you settle on?  It would be interesting to know what you found and cost etc.

Ok - see that you have from the above pics.  They just came up for me. Not a bad deal for short time I would say.