Customs seized car auction

I suspected and guessed people trying to import them cheaply and backhanders to get them in got tumbled.

l bought multi-year :rolleyes: CB400 put together from bits way back in CM 63,000 baht. no book, or Plate etc. later when in Bkk enquired about getting the bike legalized proper,  got up to a cost of 57,000 and that was only if they didn't find anything wrong.

There no money back on the MOT type check out costing 25,000 baht anything wrong get it fixed and put it through again :facepalm:brutal.

25 minutes ago, p_brownstone said:

The OP's Avatar is an excellent representation of what would happen to any "outsider" attempting to bid at one of the Thai Customs Department vehicle "Auctions".

Patrick

Just putting some rumors to rest....that is not the case anymore. I have 3 Thai friends who have successfully bid and won cars. One is your ordinary Thai businessmen, the other two owns car dealers and bid on the cars to resale for profit. Yes back then, outsiders were threatened on bidding for specific cars because fancy / sports cars were rare and harder to import. Nowadays there just so many fancy cars on the market, there is no need for it. Not to mention - those in the dark circles eg. police just take the cars off drug dealers hands - or use the confiscated money to buy a new ride.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Would be more interested as to why they were seized. !

Most are cars that were imported illegally and assembled as parts, back then it was legal, but the loophole has been closed. Some were not taxed properly - eg. using a smaller engine for tax purposes, 4wd taxed as 2wd, some are taxes based on the wrong car model. Some may be from drug raids.

2 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

declaration undervalued i assume. i think you'd still have a problem getting them registered

There will be no problem registering them, why would they be offered for sale if they couldn't be registered?  They're probably already registered anyway.

58 minutes ago, p_brownstone said:

The OP's Avatar is an excellent representation of what would happen to any "outsider" attempting to bid at one of the Thai Customs Department vehicle "Auctions".

Patrick

Nonsense, anyone can register to bid at the auction, regardless of nationality.

20 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Nonsense, anyone can register to bid at the auction, regardless of nationality.

Where do I mention "Nationality"??

"Outsider", in this context means those not in the internal Network which controls these "Auctions".

Patrick

1 hour ago, p_brownstone said:

Where do I mention "Nationality"??

"Outsider", in this context means those not in the internal Network which controls these "Auctions".

Patrick

It wasn't unreasonable to assume that you may have been referring to nationality, i.e. farangs may not be allowed to bid, but your explanation of what you actually meant to say is nonsense also.  If certain elements were not allowed to partake in the auctions then they wouldn't be advertised.

HI all, I have successfully bid at this auction, car was registered into my name, this took around 6 months, collected book and number plate from Chonburi.

No problem bidding, no hassle, my retirement visa was sufficient, to register at the auction.

The reserve prices are no where near the final bid price, they are often the starting bid price.

Regards Tom

28 minutes ago, tomtaylor1 said:

HI all, I have successfully bid at this auction, car was registered into my name, this took around 6 months, collected book and number plate from Chonburi.

No problem bidding, no hassle, my retirement visa was sufficient, to register at the auction.

The reserve prices are no where near the final bid price, they are often the starting bid price.

Regards Tom

Thanks for the real life information, what did you buy, and how much was your winning bid, and was there any additional expenses to register the car?

Also in the 6 months between winning the bid and getting the car registered could you legally use it?

Thanks

Hi All, was issued with papers at the auction, if stopped by the Police, these would show my ownership of the car, also no registration number was affixed to the car.

I do not remember how much commission I had to pay over and above the bid price, but it was only a couple of thousand Baht.

As I stay in Pattaya, the registration and number plate were done in Chonburi, again only a couple of thousand Baht.

The car bought was RX8.

Regards Tom

4 hours ago, tomtaylor1 said:

Hi All, was issued with papers at the auction, if stopped by the Police, these would show my ownership of the car, also no registration number was affixed to the car.

I do not remember how much commission I had to pay over and above the bid price, but it was only a couple of thousand Baht.

As I stay in Pattaya, the registration and number plate were done in Chonburi, again only a couple of thousand Baht.

The car bought was RX8.

Regards Tom

Did it end up being a bargain?

The car bought was RX8. At the end of the day, paid a fair price, not an absolute bargain.

Nissan 350Z, 2001/2003 were making 1.1 to 1.3 mio Baht

Regards Tom

Archived