Can I transfer Thai baht into my Thai bank?

Do Thai banks accept SWIFT deposits of Thai baht? I usually transfer cash for my living expenses in Thailand from offshore, using a sterling account. But I also hold a Thai baht account and it might make more sense to use this for a while until (hopefully) sterling makes a comeback. Is this possible, or will Thai banks only accept foreign currency deposits - on which, of course, they make a charge for changing it into Thai baht at this end.

There's no reason why you can't transfer Thai Baht from overseas, into your Thai baht account in Thailand, the receiving bank here will likely charge you a receiving fee of around 500 baht. The bigger question however is where did the Thai Baht in your overseas account come from? Not meaning to be nosey but if you're converting say Pounds overseas into THB and keeping them in your THB account there, that's a very expensive process exchange rate wise.

Yes, BKK bank does. But a better exchange rate if conversion is done here. I can send Thai baht from Australia (conversion at the Australian end) and the Comm bank gives a rate of 25 baht to the dollar. If I send the same amount to my Thai bank account in Australian dollars (conversion at Thai end) the rate is 26 baht to the dollar.

When you do the swift transaction it asks what currency etc. Other currencies may get a better conversion at origin.

You can transfer in Thai baht or another currency.   But don't let your sending country bank convert to Thai baht when sending as you'll surely get a lower exchange rate (around 3%) than the TT Buying Rate used by Thai banks for incoming transfers.  Whether foreign currency or Thai baht the Thai bank will still charge a "receiving fee" which is typically 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max) for incoming "international" transfers in whatever currency....Thai baht, USD, EUR, GBP, etc.

Archived