Learning Thai: What´s the point ...?

DUS

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/23/2016 at 2:48 PM, innocenthai said:

The best reason to learn Thai is to know exactly why you hate it.

Don't believe the BS of people telling you that it's useful to learn Thai, it's useless if you have money.

Be careful, you might know soon how uninteresting and boring are these people who have nothing to talk about except what they just ate and what they will eat...

Learning Thai has enhanced my life here beyond words. Really, anyone saying is a waste of time has serious issues.

On 8/25/2016 at 9:36 PM, CaptHaddock said:

I´ve moved to Thailand 2 months ago and within the first week I started attending a Thai language school. It´s 5 days a week and 3 hrs per day. I´ve learned numerous languages over the years and think I know me quite well as far as my linguistic skills and deficits are concerned. But learning my first Asian and tonal language currently causes me some major frustrations. For example: I went to a 7/11 yesterday to topup my AIS account. With no other customer in the shop I thought I might try asking for a topup using the exact Thai phrase that we learnt a few weeks ago. So I started off saying it once, twice, three times and so forth but only got the (partially expected) blank "Arai ná" look. So I ended up saying it in English and they were more than happy to top the account.

To the OP:

You have vastly underestimated the difficulty in learning Thai, the tones in particular.  So, now you can either buckle down and decide to work as long and hard as necessary to master the tones before progressing to all the other intractabilities of the language, or you can join the ignorance-is-bliss crew extolling the many advantages of failure. 

You certainly don't have to learn Thai, nor, for that matter,  do you have to learn anything else in particular in your life.  If you haven't already discovered by this late date that knowing more is better than knowing less, it is unlikely anyone here will convince you.  What I can tell you from experience is that language study is a particularly fair enterprise.  The more you put in; the more you will get out.  The aspects that are the most difficult at first, such as producing and distinguishing the tones, later on become the most satisfying when you begin to master them.  The Thai language in my opinion is quite delightful, in fact, the best feature of Thailand and that's especially true just because it's so far from English, which is what makes it difficult for us.

nice one!

'the best feature of Thailand' is the language?

man, you are either blind and deaf and wheelchair bound or your life must be so boring that watching paint dry would seem more exciting.

i went to school for 12 years in germany and another 4 in australia... and 90% of the stuff i got fed with had no bearing on my life or my career ever after.

you can learn for the sake of learning and wank yourself knowing soooo much - and than you die. and it's all been a waste.

you go and practise your 'tones' and see how they sound like from your coffin, pal.

learning thai will get you no where. no where - again - no where.

nice one!

'the best feature of Thailand' is the language?

man, you are either blind and deaf and wheelchair bound or your life must be so boring that watching paint dry would seem more exciting.

i went to school for 12 years in germany and another 4 in australia... and 90% of the stuff i got fed with had no bearing on my life or my career ever after.

you can learn for the sake of learning and wank yourself knowing soooo much - and than you die. and it's all been a waste.

you go and practise your 'tones' and see how they sound like from your coffin, pal.

learning thai will get you no where. no where - again - no where.

Everything is a waste when you die.
So why do you postpone it?

Why did you even bother to read this?

Learning Thai has enhanced my life in Thailand enormously.

Quite obviously.

4 minutes ago, Lampang2 said:

Everything is a waste when you die.
So why do you postpone it?

Why did you even bother to read this?

Learning Thai has enhanced my life in Thailand enormously.

Quite obviously.

we all endeavour to fill our lives with the most rewarding stuffing.

'everything is a waste when you die?' Pythagoras, Euclid,  Albert Einstein, Werner von Braun, Michael Angelo, Picasso, ... some of us may be able to pass on a few morsels of our brain content to following generations - who do you bequeath your thai language skills to?

quoting you:

"Learning Thai has enhanced my life in Thailand enormously.

Quite obviously."

really? every word or phrase of 'thai' i have learned so far in the last 6 years has only led to solidifying my believe that thais know very little about anything, that they have a completely in - adequate education and that, as a culture and society, they are doomed to  be extinct soon.

over to you, lampang2 - dreamer.

cheers

mft

On 8/25/2016 at 7:44 AM, bifftastic said:

So, might I ask what that phrase was? You can ask for phone top up quite easily just by using the word ขอ (kor, with a rising tone) ขอ 1-2 call ฿100 (neung loi/roi baht) for example.e an achievement. With teaching that does not focus on these things, it would be next to impossible. 

Easy

(smile) Nung (smile) roy baht 1-2 call online cap.

then you type your number and hit 'enter' on their keypad at the till. Even I can do that.

Edited by MissAndry

language is useless unless some little brown thing tricked you into building a mansion on her dadas farm.

You may want to learn Thai for 2 reasons

1. You can eavesdrop when the extended family plot your demise

2. Tell everybody to F off out of your house in Thai

Just q quick one from my side: 

Lampang2, Johnniey, CaptHaddoc (and 1-2 others), thank you for your feedback! Amongst all the (expected) drivel and Thai(land) bashing your comments were much appreciated.

With some of the usual suspects now having shown up I say good-bye to this thread but wish you ALL a great weekend!

There could be several explanations... Finding a good teacher is a challenge and maybe you don't have one... maybe you were taught a very formal phrasing that is not commonly used...

Maybe the person behind the counter is not good at understanding accents or just turned off when they saw a Westerner, thinking they would not understand...

Keep trying and keep making adjustments. 

I assume I do not have to go into all the reasons and pleasures of speaking another language, the fun, the getting to know people personally, in addition to just getting around. 

I'm one of those with a handful of lame excuses why I've "decided" not to put forth any real effort to learn Thai, beyond  numbers and parroting some common phrases and words like a 5 year old.  My wife speaks/reads/writes English, so that probably helps enable my laziness.   I can fold my arms and say I don't care what anyone thinks.....and I don't.... but man, I'm personally embarrassed by my lack of initiative, and Captain Haddock's post ^above is like a cold steel blade right through my chest. 

I have, however, picked up on Thai more and more just being around it so much, to where I now pick out words I recognize (or think I do) instead of a string of unintelligible sounds all run together.  Just yesterday, I was out sweeping the driveway and some kids on motorbikes were passing by slowly, talking to each other briefly as they did.  The tall gate was closed, I couldn't see them and I wasn't trying to listen, but I heard them and understood what they said.  "Where are you going?" "Tesco."  I know, it's simple, but it was an odd, pleasant moment realizing I understood them with trying to....if you know what I mean?

I speak Spanish, a mixture of growing up  in and around Mexicans, Mexican/American relatives, long-time GF originally from Mexico, and some formal, classroom instruction in college.  I remember the feeling I got the first time I overheard some random conversation and it just made sense to me, without having to intentionally translate it to English in my head.   It's like being in a dark room then having a light switched on. 

So, I would say yes, DUS, you may be a bit premature, and trying to rationalize your way out of it.  My little driveway sweeping experience yesterday will eventually come, and you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of where I am now when it does.  I say stick with it and in fact, your thread and my embarrassment, is motivating me get off my ass and put some effort into it myself.

Lots of nonsense on this thread, op, as Captain Haddock and others have mentioned 7 weeks is nothing. Exposure, familiarity takes years unless you're exceptionally talented at languages If you love Thailand for whatever reason and you're motivated, you can advance by learning to read and getting the correct pronunciation,, both in listening and speaking, at least in Central Thai. Learning to read is not difficult but familiarity in listening takes time.Don't despair, give it at least 2 years of regular learning.

As for those fools who say Thais only gossip, I've had plenty of interesting conversations about politics and  the state of the country with taxi drivers and Thais of every persuasion.

There's a whole world out there you can join in on.

18 hours ago, mcfish said:

language is useless unless some little brown thing tricked you into building a mansion on her dadas farm.

I think you nonsense would be more suited to the Pattaya forum.

I'm just off to buy wood for a garden shed I'm building and then going to a Buddhist meeting.  After that, I'm going to  Central to talk about buying mutual funds. Just one day and I'd be totally helpless without speaking Thai.

1 hour ago, Johnniey said:

I think you nonsense would be more suited to the Pattaya forum.

I'm just off to buy wood for a garden shed I'm building and then going to a Buddhist meeting.  After that, I'm going to  Central to talk about buying mutual funds. Just one day and I'd be totally helpless without speaking Thai.

Yes, a no brainer. 

My stark realization came to a head 2 weeks ago as I went alone (without the Mrs) to the IT Mall to find some of that thermal paste stuff you put on the computer chip processor.   Jesus H Christopher Cross, what a pain in the a$$, and obviously I should of looked up some reference before I went but didn't.  

I felt like (and was) a helpless moron fumble fking my way through with a couple young computer repair guys who seemed willing to help point me in the right direction.  CPU.  OK, they thought I wanted to buy one.  No....  Then I'm saying Paste, and doing the hand motions for a toothbrush and brushing of teeth.  CPU + brushing teeth (paste).  "Lon".  "Yen".  They said Silicone.  No, "paste".  (They probably call silicone and I was confusing things even more).  I was saying hot/cold, so he held up a computer fan cooling unit.  This?  No....  Damn!    We finally got it after 10 minutes, they showed me a small syringe with the white paste/silicon. Yes, yes, that's it!  They pointed me downstairs toward the Amorn shop and said it was 50 Baht - I can understand numbers/currency. OK great!    I found Amorn and wandered around for 15 minutes, obviously looking for something to no avail.  The Thai staff would avert their eyes when I looked at them, didn't want to engage clumsily with a farang.  Finally found it, but when I walked out of there, that's when it really hit me, that I've wasted so much time and still faffing about for the simplest of things without my wife, the Thai security blanket, along to bail me out. 

After my post yesterday, looked up the small Thai language school my buddy went to when he got here.  It's a 20-25 minute car drive into the city/suburbs for me, but I've got nothing else to do except make more excuses and keep being a helpless idiot.  I don't need to be a PhD, but man, I've got to sort myself out if I'm going to keep living here.

why bother to do anything in life?

why exercise, study, get a gf, why do anything?

why be happy, sad, mad, work, not work...

nobody really cares if you speak Thai.............EXCEPT YOU!!!

Why not just get fat, read comic books, drink all day and have fun for 10-years and then have heart attack??

trust me, nobody really cares what you do.  

According to the Chinese guy in my office in California most first generation Chinese in America don't bother to learn more than the most basic English as there's enough of them to survive quite happily in Chinatown. There's Chinese newspapers, Chinese television and other Chinese to talk to, not to mention Chinese jobs. Why bother learning English?

On 8/23/2016 at 5:02 PM, Bob9 said:

Think of it this way - how do Thais who can speak English very well sound when they try to pronounce some sounds in English that dont exists in Thai - like "L" or "V".  

Thai does have an "L" sound.

On 8/23/2016 at 5:02 PM, Bob9 said:

AND - the reality is that Thailand is an English second language country

No it is not, it is an English as a Foreign language country - there is a difference.

On 02/09/2016 at 4:57 PM, mcfish said:

This forum really is indescribably depressing - there is such an ocean of misery and despair walled up behind these posts.

According to the Chinese guy in my office in California most first generation Chinese in America don't bother to learn more than the most basic English as there's enough of them to survive quite happily in Chinatown. There's Chinese newspapers, Chinese television and other Chinese to talk to, not to mention Chinese jobs. Why bother learning English?

Many Cubans (wifes ) never bothered to learn English.
Living for 50+ years in miami and not speak a bit.
Met many of them.
I have been to gas stations in miami where I had to speak Spanish to make myself understood.

Sad.

I will never volunteer to the same behaviour.

On 9/3/2016 at 4:31 PM, SaintLouisBlues said:

Obviously they understand how limiting this is because they generally hold their children to high educational standards. I don't think they "survive quite happily", I think they cling to the security of the familiar because they would find it difficult to function outside of their limited environment. You don't see many 2nd generation chinese living and working in chinatown unless it is to help in a family business. There are so many more better opportunities for them outside of chinatown.

On 9/8/2016 at 10:45 AM, Tim207 said:

Obviously they understand how limiting this is because they generally hold their children to high educational standards. I don't think they "survive quite happily", I think they cling to the security of the familiar because they would find it difficult to function outside of their limited environment. You don't see many 2nd generation chinese living and working in chinatown unless it is to help in a family business. There are so many more better opportunities for them outside of chinatown.

Acknowledging that a native-born generation must assimilate is so obvious it shouldn't even need stating. My point is that it's quite common for migrants the world over not to assimilate, not bother to learn the language, to keep to themselves and that's a perfectly acceptable choice, whether you're a Chinese migrant to California or an American ex-pat migrant in Bangkok - no need to feel guilty because there are people, especially your fellow migrants, who despise you for not "fitting in"

Edited by SaintLouisBlues

22 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

My point is that it's quite common for migrants the world over not to assimilate, not bother to learn the language,...

Nowadays that can lead to the refusal of permanent residence status, such as 'permanent residence' in Thailand and 'indefinite leave to remain' in the UK.

On 9/13/2016 at 4:24 PM, Richard W said:

Nowadays that can lead to the refusal of permanent residence status, such as 'permanent residence' in Thailand and 'indefinite leave to remain' in the UK.

Who of us would be mad enough to seek PR in Thailand given, apart from anything else, that they limit it to 100 per year of each nationality, and confers no substantial benefit?

Didn't read all pages, and I don't speak "Thai" but I can count and clearly order food, items, things I need on a day to day basis. Im american and I think this matters because I hear alot of English/UK/Euro folks home accent trying to speak thai and its a cringe factory. It reminds me of trying to understand an indian speaking english and not even trying to be clear. Yes the words and vocabulary are there but the accent is like WHAT 

I saw another poster saying along the lines of keeping it simple and thats what i do. Don't overcomplicate it. Don't need to walk in and be like "Hello-I-would-like-to-have-2-of-this-please-thank-you-krrrrrrrrrup" 

Item - quantity/amount - kup 

The thing is you really just got to say it like they do otherwise they are like huh? And you are standing there all frustrated thinking "I Just F**** said it are they retarded my god these people..."

I don't care to learn anymore than I need for day to day life but the things I need to say I have learned them clearly. I can understand subjects and context when they are talking but can't have a conversation cause I have to de-code what they are saying in my head into english, then re-code it into something thai and a lot of time its exhausting. 

Besides I don't really care to hear about their day to day like of noodle quality, if its cold or not, or if they have taken a dump in the last week. 

DUS ..what you saying is very frustrating ..... it is not your fault at all... it is the society that want it to be..the education ..we've been force to learn different thing...They chose it..they oblige us to learn. Wrong or good...that's not the point..... 

You need to remember the time you spent at school ....discipline.... and strategy of the way you want to learn the language.

in a personal point of view i still find your topic amazing..... learning a new language is possible even if you don't feel like you wanna learn or don't have a particular love for the country...... if you don't feel the country ...in a natural way ....in that situation it will be very very very hard to learn the language .... 

So the best way to learn is to love the country and the people and that experience to be a stranger in an new environment ...this is fascinating...this is not simple at all.... you failed or not...you succeed or not....you are happy or you fake your happiness or not is all depend on you at the end you need to think ...... in my own country....if i meet a stranger....and test his capacity...his curiosity .....and want him to speak my language ....Anything...he is a stranger...no problem....in that moment you still want to feel something from that person if that person is capable of answering something..a little word...a little sentence ......you will probably feel relieve .....happy ...And curious back about this stranger.....or not...who know how you feel? how you care about people? only you right? 

Being in thailand as a tourist...as a traveler ... wanting something from it...wanting to stay here ...or to keep moving around....is responsible how the progress you can make or not learning the language....it is not natural...you need to learn from the basic...on your own...Step by step....thanks Google....Youtube..... the bookstore ...the app on mobile everything is much more easier to start making real progress.......

i from the old continent ..so at first ..in my mind...the first time... i said " shiiiiiiit no way i can learn that language.......there is no way....then step by step...you learn stuff...you feel it....and you are addict to progress....so you learn more...And more....... i guess...love...and faith....and courage.......and abnegation are important ......lot of work...personal work...... 

Chok dee ..... 

I've always wanted to learn how to speak, so that I can converse in Thai when I come for a holiday. I can be picky about what goes in my food so for that alone it's useful to ask what is this or can you omit this ect... 

At first I started learning from one of the many transliteration books, then I realized there is no universal system. So I bit the bullet and learnt the Thai alphabet and it helped to accelerate my ability to read and pronounce words. Some letters catch me out, as I'm a bit lazy with remembering the sound if it falls on the end of a word, but I'd say I can make out stuff like signs, or items on a menu in a restaurant. 

Pretty much all the Thai's I've encountered seem appreciative in their tone that I have made an effort to speak too. I have no plans to live there but it's a fun thing to do in my spare time and I have no regrets.