Thailand’s Casual Racism Returns: Comedian in blackface wins 'Best Dressed' award at elite party

snoop1130

Thailand’s Casual Racism Returns: Comedian in blackface wins 'Best Dressed' award at elite party

By Coconuts Bangkok

blackface1.jpg

Photo: Payoon3/ Instagram

Time after time, the casual use of blackface in Thai media has caused rage in the international community. The latest Thai comedian to put on the taboo face paint used it as part of an ill-advised hip-hop costume. Was she shamed for her racist portrayal? Hardly. She actually won the ‘Best Dressed’ award at Channel 3’s annual costume party, where a hundred of the country’s top superstars were in attendance.

Famous comedian, and Channel 3 producer, Pajaree Na Nakorn, or “Poodle,” probably does not realize the racist message that the paint presents to an international audience. She proudly Instagrammed a paper that said she received THB5,000 from her big boss as a prize for having the best costume at the party on Saturday.

“Is this [money] worth all the facial cleansing cream I’ll have to use?” Poodle captioned her photo.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/22/thailands-casual-racism-returns-comedian-blackface-wins-best-dressed-award-elite-party

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-22

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, she could be imitating a person from southern India, southern Thailand, maybe a Fijian woman or any of hundreds of places where there are people with dark skin?

They just do it to piss off all the PC people. Totally tasteless on the organizers behalf and it shows.

yiDw0Ma3mwFL0d7cchnkeyi9yBL.jpg

The offender sans chocolate coating. Pajaree  Na  Nakorn

Edited by ratcatcher

Just now, phil2803 said:

Should I then be offended when Thai people with dark skin put on whitening creme!!!

Don't forget its only whites who are racist, so the references to casual racism in the piece cannot be true given the "accused" is a little Oriental lady who most certainly is not of Anglo-Saxon heritage 

7 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

She was dressing up as a black hip hop/rapper, it stands to reason that part of this costume would be a black face

This oh it's racism codswallop really winds me up

Speaking of codswallop and imagined racism and religious bigotry there are even people here who worry about wearing a Jewish skull cap in Pattaya.  

That's pretty mild. In the Netherlands we have "sinterklaas" every year in December, a centuries old innocent tradition. Racism-yellers are trying hard to have it banned, but proud Dutch people are not falling for the racismcard any longer.

Zwarte Piet forever.

sinterklaas-intocht.png

zwarte-piet.jpg

35 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Exactly! It is childish - no offence is meant or should be taken (except by the racism-mongers).

Edit: And bring back the "Black and White Minstrels"! My dad used to love them.

but not your mammy?

Enough of that PC whining already!

The only thing I can hold against her is her lack of creativity. But I don't expect much creativity from Thai "comedians" anyway, because their "humor" generally only dwells on mocking handicapped people, transvestites, and dark-skinned folks.

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

So, she could be imitating a person from southern India, southern Thailand, maybe a Fijian woman or any of hundreds of places where there are people with dark skin?

They just do it to piss off all the PC people. Totally tasteless on the organizers behalf and it shows.

yiDw0Ma3mwFL0d7cchnkeyi9yBL.jpg

The offender sans chocolate coating. Pajaree  Na  Nakorn

Savvy media chick with no Farang nose job. Maybe the prize money will help.

When Africans, Indians, Asians and other non-Caucasians adopt Western dress ( trousers, Shirts, Shoes etc ) instead of their native dress. Are they exhibiting "casual racism" by aping ( poor choice of word I know ) Westerners ?   No one says it's racist for them to straighten their hair or use whitening products.  This PC nonsense has gone too far. Worse the "outraged" are usually middle class white people.... 

I love casual racism. Britain used to do it better than anyone else. Loads of the old sit-coms had racism in it.

Alf Garnett was fantastic. And he was always made to look the fool. Sadly the 'I need to feel insulted  for my black friends brigade' could never work it out.

And how sad is it that when we live in a world where people are beheading others for their so called beliefs. People still get upset by someone blacking up.

This story might not be so serious. I think there can be room for comedy so long as it goes both ways. But racism and xenophobia is very real in Thailand. Not hiring a black person because of his skin color is an example.  Overcharging people because they are European looking. There are laws that are based on racism or xenophobia too. In the recent past if a Thai woman married a foreigner she lost her right to buy land but that wasn't the case for Thai men. Despite heading a Thai family, your existence in Thailand depends only on bank account money and a visa. You're forced to leave the nation every time you change a job but what if you had a serious illness and stop work. No money or work = no Thailand no matter if you have a family and kids. That's how I see it at least. Inheritance issues is another area for racism/xenophobia. There are probably many more areas.

No doubt that biracial kids get used by their teachers in school one way or another as some sort of example or commentary item. If a teacher is racist or xenophobe what will your kid experience?

5 minutes ago, rijit said:

Unfortunatly This thread just shows the level of ignorance prevelant today in modern day
thailand. Unfortunatly from all sides , westerners and thais approving of ridiculing people based on the colour of their skin,,, well, morons this is rascism and yes it should have NO PLACE in any society and NO EXCUSES, it needs to be gone.

didn't realize "white chicks" and "Tropical Thunder" were produced by Thai's and made in Thailand ?

To paraphrase Bo Diddley " before you accuse the Thai's, take a look at yourself"

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Edited by Witblitz

13 hours ago, JImH2O said:

That's pretty mild. In the Netherlands we have "sinterklaas" every year in December, a centuries old innocent tradition. Racism-yellers are trying hard to have it banned, but proud Dutch people are not falling for the racismcard any longer.

Zwarte Piet forever.

sinterklaas-intocht.png

zwarte-piet.jpg

I'm not sure that little boy agrees.