Leaving after a decade.

DennisF

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People who come on here and vent about Thailand, are often told to go back home.... and don't let the door hit you in the arse.

The Go Home Brigade is flummoxed, and feels robbed of their opportunity in this thread.

So, what do we do now, boss?   Answer: Dissect the OP to death, persuade him he's being unreasonable and when he finally sees the light.......tell him to bugger off back home!   :clap2:

10 hours ago, mcfish said:

IMO the pressure is inside your head and make no mistake TV "s never ending Thai bashers will eventually wear you down, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I absolutely positive about that.

Apart from possible visa issues how are you affected EXACTLY by what's happening in Thailand? And in what way do you feel unwelcomed?

I notice zero difference in my life style from when I first got here 12 years ago except I now have a retirement visa

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

As a regular on this forum I have to ask you why "TV "s never ending Thai bashers will eventually wear you down, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."?

I read the negative stuff. IMO a lot of it is warranted and should be considered, but it never wears me down or drags me anywhere. I think that's being highly melodramatic.

The most negative things that have happened to me I don't even mention here.

A lot of people say nothing has happened and the new pseudo government has had no impact on their lives. I believe this is a classic case of "head buried in the sand". Nothing bad ever happens until it happens. There's nothing wrong with discussing it and being prepared, and realising that things will not always stay the same in a country suffering from extreme political upheaval. 

Post 154 and ongoing? Is it the expectation that post 155 will draw any interest? Especially if the potential content of the thread has already been covered 37 1/2 times?

- The Nobel-Price for literature will not likely be issued to TVF posters, "over milking" a thread.

Cheers.

Post 154 and ongoing? Is it the expectation that post 155 will draw any interest? Especially if the potential content of the thread has already been covered 37 1/2 times?

- The Nobel-Price for literature will not likely be issued to TVF posters, "over milking" a thread.

Cheers.

You were post 155...and it drew my interest

35 minutes ago, swissie said:

Cheers.

The Nobel Prize for literature started about 100 years before Internet forums. Love it or hate it, it's a new way of communicating. You may feel a topic has been covered 37 1/2 times, but you fail to realize that new members and guests are arriving all the time, while old ones leave, and these threads are Googleable. There's no rule that one must search and read up on all past threads covering a topic before responding to any post.

Traditional literature is a dying art form anyway. Sooner or later paper books will disappear and this will be the new normal, warts and all.

Edited by tropo

Although younger than OP i left two years ago with wife and children and have not looked back. Wife loves it. Kids cringe when we talk about moving back. 

Schools top notch, excellent restaurants, friendly neighbors who want to talk about all things. My wife still misses family but whenever we talk about going back she just shakes her head, no. She has met some good friends, enjoys driving here, still has Thai restaurants around to enjoy some food but now enjoys going out for a good steak now and then.

But each to their own. You may hate moving back. Bad weather, grumpy old farts sitting around the bar talking crap etc. 

59 minutes ago, tropo said:

The Nobel Prize for literature started about 100 years before Internet forums. Love it or hate it, it's a new way of communicating. You may feel a topic has been covered 37 1/2 times, but you fail to realize that new members and guests are arriving all the time, while old ones leave, and these threads are Googleable. There's no rule that one must search and read up on all past threads covering a topic before responding to any post.

Traditional literature is a dying art form anyway. Sooner or later paper books will disappear and this will be the new normal, warts and all.

Just want to correct one error in your post.

Thaivisa Forum Rule #672:

Before replying to any thread all members must thoroughly research the issue to be fully aware of all relevant opinions expressed in past posts.  

If a member should fail to carry out the necessary research,  then revert to Standard Reply 2 "Google is your friend". 

Note that Standard Reply 1 "Well go back to your home country" is not appropriate for this particular thread.

7 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Interesting that many Brits are heading back home, many having now made a profit on their Baht assets as a result of Brexit. Have to wonder what their original objective was, a cheap lifestyle perhaps.

They are not-many have not-Brexit is not an issue-You have listed incorrect observations from which you have extrapolated erroneous conclusions to confirm your own confirmation bias.

1 hour ago, Familyonthemove said:

Just want to correct one error in your post.

Thaivisa Forum Rule #672:

Before replying to any thread all members must thoroughly research the issue to be fully aware of all relevant opinions expressed in past posts.  

If a member should fail to carry out the necessary research,  then revert to Standard Reply 2 "Google is your friend". 

Note that Standard Reply 1 "Well go back to your home country" is not appropriate for this particular thread.

You may have noticed even "rules" are a thing of the past - now replaced by "Forum Netiquette" http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/254949-forum-netiquette/

The number of people reading "rules" or whatever they choose to call them would be lower than the number of people who read "terms and conditions" when installing new software... (around zero?)

... but of course we always have our forum nazis continually reminding everyone of what they can or can't do. I think the most important rule of all is to leave everything up to the moderators, don't stress and enjoy.

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

... but of course we always have our forum nazis continually reminding everyone of what they can or can't do. I think the most important rule of all is to leave everything up to the moderators, don't stress and enjoy.

I think that he was just kidding around. There is no such "rule".

Im suggesting the 3 month plan as earlier stated. I have a great business here, but do not need to attend to it in person. I've left last time for 6 weeks, no real issues, no money lost.

This time I'm leaving for 3 months, I have already put in process taking care of my taxes in my home country, establishing residence, getting a drivers license etc. Been in Thailand 8.5 Years.

I make a good enough income in Thailand to basically live anywhere I want at any level.

But, the last time of 6 weeks gone, I kinda wanted to be back in Thailand.

Test the waters first!

personally after 3 days, I want go back to Thailand. even if Thailand is boring, it's still more a relaxed place than farangistan.
residence is a dumb word. I reside in my shoes. when I move residence it means I move from shoes to flip flop. (you can reside in your body too)
tax is for cheep, beheheheheh!
driver license, get a Thai one.
and if you want a pizza like you mama cook, just buy a oven and make your own pizza.

11 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

I'm ten years here.  Fluent in Thai and the Issan dialect.  Read and write Thai as well.  

Next spring I am outta here.

Ten years in Thailand AND you learned the language(s) properly? I imagine that was a lot of effort. Respect.

So why are you leaving?

13 hours ago, thai3 said:

Some people would justify living in, and like living in N Korea if it had prostitutes! This country has become a repressive moralistic one with the fun element and optimism gone replaced by fear and propaganda. I am off next year as well. Actually it's Thailand that is the nanny state with it's ludicrous licencing hours, meant to curb under age buying, but with the buying hours coinciding with lunch hour and after School :whistling: Then you have the laughable censoring of elements on tv and film where knifes, guns, cigarettes, drinks  and even Rubens like paintings have to be masked out to protect the vulnerable. Sometimes so much stuff is pix-elated out on the screen it's hard to tell whats going on. All this in the sex capital of Asia, sheer hypocrisy and stupidity. People cannot voice their opinions for fear of arrest with even an opinion about a certain dog leading to a virtual death sentence in prison. At least we have the luxury of being able to get on a plane and away from this madness. Land of smiles it may have been, but that was a long time ago and even the love it or leave brigade know that.

Good post and i agree with everything you said,  except let me point out that Thailand is not just the sex capital of asia but the world . . .  at least for the time being.

3 hours ago, swissie said:

Cheers.

Isn't there a swiss forum that we could flogg you off to ? 

Thank you for the many good wishes, I appreciate it.

I did not want this to become a Thai bashing thread, I have loved my time here and would not have

missed one minute.

For the curious doubters, you will have to come up with another reason, I am not moving for fiscal reasons nor am I telling untruths.

The regime here is oppressive and becomes more so with each moronic declaration. Whilst it may not impact directly on the ostrich farangs, those with good Thai friends will feel their pain and frustration.

Those that say their Thai friends tell them things  are better under this monstrous junta are fooling themselves into believing the statements.  Thai people are not allowed to criticise their hi-so masters as they now live under constant threat of imprisonment if they publicly declare their true feelings.  Under that umbrella, they are not too enthusiastic about sharing their true feelings.

Again, thank you all for the good wishes, I am not burning bridges, just starting a new chapter.

Edited by DennisF
Spellcheck!

29 minutes ago, DennisF said:

Thank you for the many good wishes, I appreciate it.

I did not want this to become a Thai bashing thread, I have loved my time here and would not have

missed one minute.

For the curious doubters, you will have to come up with another reason, I am not moving for fiscal reasons nor am I telling untruths.

The regime here is oppressive and becomes more so with each moronic declaration. Whilst it may not impact directly on the ostrich farangs, those with good Thai friends will feel their pain and frustration.

Those that say their Thai friends tell them things  are better under this monstrous junta are fooling themselves into believing the statements.  Thai people are not allowed to criticise their hi-so masters as they now live under constant threat of imprisonment if they publicly declare their true feelings.  Under that umbrella, they are not too enthusiastic about sharing their true feelings.

Again, thank you all for the good wishes, I am not burning bridges, just starting a new chapter.

Bogus.  You listed no reasons to leave beyond some vague reference to Thai suffering (ha ha). In case you missed it, the current government handily won the last referendum vote.  Keep your Farang nose out of Thai politics.  Don't try and kid the expats who actually live here.  This year is the same as the last and the one before.  If you want to whing at least have some decent whinging points that actually happened to you and not some made up mumbo jumbo about hearsay stuff.  Try, "I was wearing a red shirt and a soldier hit me on the head and I'm going home!"  See, that works and is understandable.  Thai suffering because of freedom of speech is never going to fly unless the government bans talk about food and facebook.  

10 hours ago, rogeroc said:

Can you not see that i found it offensive because it was simply rude, unnecessary, completely unfounded, unintelligent and pointless.

totally agree mate and that nosy Oz should mind his own business.

5 hours ago, alofthailand said:

They are not-many have not-Brexit is not an issue-You have listed incorrect observations from which you have extrapolated erroneous conclusions to confirm your own confirmation bias.

If you stay alert and read the other threads in this forum of people selling condo's and wanting to repatriate funds, there are quite a few. And whilst I wondered about motives for such moves, it's clear that many are cashing in on favorable exchange rates, the junta has been in power for years yet Brexit induced exchange rates are only weeks old!

8 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Bogus.  You listed no reasons to leave beyond some vague reference to Thai suffering (ha ha). In case you missed it, the current government handily won the last referendum vote.  Keep your Farang nose out of Thai politics.  Don't try and kid the expats who actually live here.  This year is the same as the last and the one before.  If you want to whing at least have some decent whinging points that actually happened to you and not some made up mumbo jumbo about hearsay stuff.  Try, "I was wearing a red shirt and a soldier hit me on the head and I'm going home!"  See, that works and is understandable.  Thai suffering because of freedom of speech is never going to fly unless the government bans talk about food and facebook.  

You really do come across as an obnoxious retard.  Have a good day.

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

If you stay alert and read the other threads in this forum of people selling condo's and wanting to repatriate funds, there are quite a few. And whilst I wondered about motives for such moves, it's clear that many are cashing in on favorable exchange rates, the junta has been in power for years yet Brexit induced exchange rates are only weeks old!

the coup was only two years ago, oh but there was on in 2006 too, but I agree the military have always run the place.

24 minutes ago, DennisF said:

You really do come across as an obnoxious retard.  Have a good day.

I wouldn't use the same language but my point would be the same.Having foolishly ploughed my way through the entire thread it's still completely unclear what your specific reasons are.

13 hours ago, roiethome said:

I have been here for more than twenty years now, and certainly do not feel under any more pressure than when I landed here,

It is still easy to get a long term visa if you are legit; the whingers are mainly those trying to buck the system.

Only been back to UK 4 times in 20 years for a total of 17 days, and nothing would drag me back to live in the over regulated politically correct, nanny state that the UK has become.

Thank goodness for places like Thailand.

I think you nailed it, " whingers are mainly those trying to buck the system."  Here on a retirement visa from USA.  Always glad to see soldiers around.  Only ones after my money are the girls.  However that's universal to all countries.  Can't take it with ya but ya can negotiate...:D

17 hours ago, MissAndry said:

I just came back from the Philippines, nothing like anyone described to me previously.

I was staying at Olongapo (city) and Barreto (beach resort 15Km out), English Bars and Restaurants, real English food, Mexican restaurant .... all with good food. Almost all the foreigners I met in the resort were English. And nearly everyone spoke good English, way friendlier people than Thailand.

Bread was no good, but fish and chips, English breakfasts, meat pies, Cornish pasties and sausages all great. Resort accommodation was expensive 15k for a 1 bed apartment, city condos from 4,000 peso (1gbp = 60 peso). Filipino food much closer to English than Thai food, Meat and potato stews very common 65 peso at a local corner restaurant, burger in a bun with fries 55 peso. 

Transport cheap, about 1 peso per kilometer on a Jeepney, bus was cheap 240 peso Manila/Olongapo (20% discount for over 60s). Beer and alcohol much cheaper, small bottle of gin (330ml) for 50 peso (extremely drinkable with some tonic), Small beer/alcopops 30 peso in shops 50 in bars.

I was very surprised how much I liked the place.

You should give it a go.

I considered Subic/Olongapo as my initial retirement destination or perhaps Cebu  but it seems the retirement Visa reqs. are far more costly than Thailand or have things changed?