Leaving after a decade.

DennisF

On August 23, 2016 at 11:56 AM, DennisF said:

I can fully understand the wanting to get back here, really!

The so called pressures are nothing specific, just a build up of straws that have broken the camels back.

Not sure which straw was the final weight!

I have lived in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and Issan and found them all to be acceptable and enjoyable.

I just feel quality of life here has deteriorated substantially in the last 10/12 years.

Not to sound too pessimistic, but I find the quality of life has deteriorated nearly everywhere in the world in the past 12 years. People are under more pressure, lifestyles have diminished, salaries have barely risen, inflation (despite the nonsensical drivel they keep trotting out) keeps driving up prices, the political climate is bad in most places, and in general people seem more disenchanted than they were before. 

So, my question is where to? I continue to ask myself that same question, from time to time. If not here, where? I have considered the PI. Nice people, gorgeous water, reasonable, etc. But horrendous food, security issues, storm issues, and other problems. So, where to?

Edited by spidermike007

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/30/2016 at 9:26 AM, Scotwight said:

The only place in any country where fighting is fair is in a boxing ring.  Gang behavior is as common in the West as in Asia.  

It is a constant lie that somehow the hooligans in the West have some kind of Knightly code of chivalrous bashing conduct and the lowly hooligans in Asia have only a gang mentality.  

All the gang violence in the UK and US is fisticuffs between two fellows the winner being determined by the Marquis of Queensberry rules eh?

Can you even lie straight in bed? I think the violence the OP had in mind is the habit of every Thai in sight joining in when there is a dispute between a Thai and a farang, and all putting the boot in together.

I think it was the unnecessary and pathetic "whinging pom" comment in your first post that initially put me off you. Nothing the junta has done has had any effect on my daily life either, or on anyone else's that I know of. Pity nothing has happened about the petty corruption after we were told it was going to be eliminated, but perhaps they will do it before the election. There is possibly still time.

What did you do before TV? You have done almost as many posts in 10 months as I have done in nearly 10 years.

Anyway, have a good day now.

I don't think it's fair to say all Thai people would happily join in a violent attack. Look at that video of the bouncers attacking the farang on Khao San the other day - most of the other Thais nearby were trying to stop the violence, not joining in.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Not to sound too pessimistic, but I find the quality of life has deteriorated nearly everywhere in the world in the past 12 years. People are under more pressure, lifestyles have diminished, salaries have barely risen, inflation (despite the nonsensical drivel they keep trotting out) keeps driving up prices, the political climate is bad in most places, and in general people seem more disenchanted than they were before. 

So, my question is where to? I continue to ask myself that same question, from time to time. If not here, where? I have considered the PI. Nice people, gorgeous water, reasonable, etc. But horrendous food, security issues, storm issues, and other problems. So, where to?

Agree entirely - apart from Fiipinos being nice people.  Of course some are, but many of those I came across in a tourist area were far from 'nice' in different ways.

15 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

I don't think it's fair to say all Thai people would happily join in a violent attack. Look at that video of the bouncers attacking the farang on Khao San the other day - most of the other Thais nearby were trying to stop the violence, not joining in.

The problem (as far as I can make out) is that during the 'drunken hours', there are a few locals that don't like Westerners and will join in an attack.  But I agree that other Thais will sometimes try to intervene when its getting 'out of hand' .

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

My quality of life has only increased in the last 12 years. I'm in Thailand at the moment but really like the Philippines, after I've had a year here, I'll probably try a year there. Yes, I agree the quality of life for those who need to work has gone down, luckily I'm not in that crowd and can move around wherever and whenever I like. People with a decent pension have never had it so good.

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The problem (as far as I can make out) is that during the 'drunken hours', there are a few locals that don't like Westerners and will join in an attack.  But I agree that other Thais will sometimes try to intervene when its getting 'out of hand' .

I think pretty much any place known for heavy drinking the world over will contain a few people keen to join in a fight.

Like the OP i do believe that the current political situation in Thailand is an overall negative and i have given my reasons for this in earlier Posts. It is for this reason that i continue to explore options (like the P'pinnes) but i do keep getting drawn back to Thailand, can't really put my finger on why. Lots of problams everywhere as a recent Poster said but one positive at the moment is that flights (especially long haul) are incredibly reasonable. Going back to London in a few months (single from BKK, less than 10000 baht) then going to Cyprus from London a  week later less than 2000 baht.

1 minute ago, SoiBiker said:

Maybe you like it here?

It's ok to admit that. Even here on Thaivisa.

I like it here in Chiang Mai, but I also like it in London, France, Spain, and the Philippines. Too many places I like already, and I keep finding more.

1 hour ago, rott said:

Can you even lie straight in bed? I think the violence the OP had in mind is the habit of every Thai in sight joining in when there is a dispute between a Thai and a farang, and all putting the boot in together.

I think it was the unnecessary and pathetic "whinging pom" comment in your first post that initially put me off you. Nothing the junta has done has had any effect on my daily life either, or on anyone else's that I know of. Pity nothing has happened about the petty corruption after we were told it was going to be eliminated, but perhaps they will do it before the election. There is possibly still time.

What did you do before TV? You have done almost as many posts in 10 months as I have done in nearly 10 years.

Anyway, have a good day now.

The corruption that he promised to eliminate, was corruption amongst those without much money, power, connections, family name, political or military office, or influence. Those people are seeing some resistance, and some are getting arrested or jailed. Absolutely NOBODY in a position of power or influence is seeing any difference in their lifestyle. The term above the law has always been applicable here, and the Little man has done everything in his power to protect the elite, powerful and wealthy. Everything. And nothing to disrupt the flow. 

On 8/30/2016 at 9:04 AM, MissAndry said:

I was there for a week earlier this month, no problems at all (Manila and Olongapo) wandered around all over the place, walked from the bus station to the airport along narrow alleys. Nice people, like a very poor and run down version of Thailand, but more friendly and everyone speaks English. I liked it.

Go spend some "living" time there......5-6 months will do - then things will look/feel/be from a different perspective.....

Agree, feels like most countries are becoming more nationalistic/Xenophobic over the past 5-10 years.

Can certainly see the changes in the locals in Singapore (probably more pronounced than most places) over the past 8 years & on my 2-4 annual trips back to the Uk.

Ironically the one place I've not seen the same is the Philippines but that's probably because I'm usually there visiting my gfs family or to some beach resort where they're still happy/appreciate having foreigners visiting [emoji106]

9 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Agree, feels like most countries are becoming more nationalistic/Xenophobic over the past 5-10 years.

Can certainly see the changes in the locals in Singapore (probably more pronounced than most places) over the past 8 years & on my 2-4 annual trips back to the Uk.

Ironically the one place I've not seen the same is the Philippines but that's probably because I'm usually there visiting my gfs family or to some beach resort where they're still happy/appreciate having foreigners visiting emoji106.png

Where is the safest place to stay in the Philippines? The one thing that comes up time and again is how dangerous it can be, compared to Thailand. I just wondered if there was an area that is generally regarded as being safe?

Where is the safest place to stay in the Philippines? The one thing that comes up time and again is how dangerous it can be, compared to Thailand. I just wondered if there was an area that is generally regarded as being safe?

Davao City is (reputed to be) the safest city in Philippines (largely because their ex-mayor, now the president of the Philippines, allegedly took extreme measures to rid the city of major crimes) & have to say that I've never felt unsafe/uncomfortable there (it's the closest major city/airport to where my gf is from so must have visited 20+ times over the past 6.5 years).

Unfortunately it's getting more popular with foreigners nowadays so I've no doubt will become less friendly as time goes on.

Edit: if you're just going to PI for a holiday, check out Boracay, Bohol & (my favourite) Coron.

1 minute ago, JB300 said:

Davao City is (reputed to be) the safest city in Philippines (largely because their ex-mayor, now the president of the Philippines, took extreme measures to rid the city of major crimes) & have to say that I've never felt unsafe/uncomfortable there (it's the closest major city/airport to where my gf is from so must have visited 20+ times over the past 6.5 years).

Unfortunately it's getting more popular with foreigners nowadays so I've no doubt will become less friendly as time goes on.

I'll go to Philippines one day ... and I'll check it out!

32 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Jail.  All the druggies are volunteering to go to jail.   Nearly 60,000 drug addicts across the Philippines have handed themselves in http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3691692/Drug-addicts-Philippines-surrender-authorities-president-Rodrigo-Duterte-urges-citizens-ahead-kill-drug-users-d

4 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Interesting how many people observe that the locals in many places don't seem to like them as much any more - but don't seem to consider the possibility that the issue might be with them. 

Can that be true? It's the numbers of people who feel that way ... are they really different to the people that came here 30, 20, 10 years ago? The point being, there might just be something to those comments?

I've been here just under three years, as a traveller, and enjoyed the experience ... but then I avoid bars, clubs, jet ski vendors, etc ... so not a Thai hater.

2 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Jail.  All the druggies are volunteering to go to jail.   Nearly 60,000 drug addicts across the Philippines have handed themselves in http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3691692/Drug-addicts-Philippines-surrender-authorities-president-Rodrigo-Duterte-urges-citizens-ahead-kill-drug-users-d

A bit like Mussolini ... a dictator but at least the trains ran on time!

Interesting how many people observe that the locals in many places don't seem to like them as much any more - but don't seem to consider the possibility that the issue might be with them. 

In the case of Singapore, it's the Filipinos, Indians & PRC that the locals are getting fed up with.

Or at least that's what they tell me (Caucasian) when I'm in a taxi, in the shops, worse is my hairdresser!

Quite funny to sit there & listen to people complain about foreigners when you're so obviously one.

I'll go to Philippines one day ... and I'll check it out!

You'll enjoy it... Just don't go go Manilla (though Taguig is very nice) or Angeles City (unless you want to go somewhere where the "Naughty" elements of Pattaya are crammed into 2 streets).

On 24.08.2016 at 6:30 AM, emilymat said:

I'm with the OP to a large extent. I'm going to Spain in October to view some rental properties. I've been here 10 years but have decided to up sticks - should Spain be OK.

i think you can never go wrong with Spain. you can have a look at some properties here  https://tranio.com/spain/  they have a big choice of houses and apartments to rent and buy. hope it will come in handy :) sorry can't advise on any visa issues though

11 hours ago, AlexRich said:

In general the PI is safe to visit and spend time. You just have to be more careful than you would normally be in Thailand. The place is alot poorer, so there are occasional crimes of desperation. You have to be discreet, and keep your eyes open. Most Philippine people are really lovely. Far friendlier, and far, far more open than most Thais. They are more aware of the world, and are far more Westernized than the Thai people. They do not seem xenophobic at all, and the nationalism bug has not bitten them, like it has here. One thing to be aware of is that alot of PI men are skilled fighters. Much, much more so than the average Thai man. So, you do not want to get in a scuffle with them. It usually does not end well. But having said that, most are far friendlier than most Thai men. In general, they are much more open minded people.

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

In general the PI is safe to visit and spend time. You just have to be more careful than you would normally be in Thailand. The place is alot poorer, so there are occasional crimes of desperation. You have to be discreet, and keep your eyes open. Most Philippine people are really lovely. Far friendlier, and far, far more open than most Thais. They are more aware of the world, and are far more Westernized than the Thai people. They do not seem xenophobic at all, and the nationalism bug has not bitten them, like it has here. One thing to be aware of is that alot of PI men are skilled fighters. Much, much more so than the average Thai man. So, you do not want to get in a scuffle with them. It usually does not end well. But having said that, most are far friendlier than most Thai men. In general, they are much more open minded people.

So, did you enjoy your weekend with the Philippine travel brochures?  When are you planning to visit?

4 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

So, did you enjoy your weekend with the Philippine travel brochures?  When are you planning to visit?

I have visited a few times already. Plan to go back soon. Have a dear friend who just moved there from Thailand. So, will be traveling there often. I really like the people there. 

Your cynicism knows no bounds. I suggest you get out more. 

Edited by spidermike007

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I have visited a few times already. Plan to go back soon. Have a dear friend who just moved there from Thailand. So, will be traveling there often. I really like the people there. 

Your cynicism knows no bounds. I suggest you get out more. 

I have Philippine friends who had to go back this week.  Crying at the airport and everyone upset.  They have lived in Thailand for 10 years.  Had children here.  Educated here.  All say no comparison between Thailand and Philippines.    

If thousands of Philippine people come to Thailand to work and live and feel going back is like a death sentence that has to tell you something.  No?  

That and I've a couple of friends who ran afoul of the church there.  It is easy to have church problems there and almost impossible to have church problems here.  If you had lived there you would know what I was talking about.  Nutty place.  But go try.  Better if you avoid any personal relationships and are a hermit then everything might turn out OK.   

16 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

I have Philippine friends who had to go back this week.  Crying at the airport and everyone upset.  They have lived in Thailand for 10 years.  Had children here.  Educated here.  All say no comparison between Thailand and Philippines.    

If thousands of Philippine people come to Thailand to work and live and feel going back is like a death sentence that has to tell you something.  No?  

That and I've a couple of friends who ran afoul of the church there.  It is easy to have church problems there and almost impossible to have church problems here.  If you had lived there you would know what I was talking about.  Nutty place.  But go try.  Better if you avoid any personal relationships and are a hermit then everything might turn out OK.   

Like everything in life, there are pros and cons. From a relationship point of view, the PI has Thailand beat by miles, and miles and miles. The PI women are superior on countless levels. And I am married to an exceptional Thai woman. But, if I were single, I know where I would move in a nanosecond. The overall quality of life is definitely better in Thailand. But, it is more expensive, and the people are a bit more jaded. That is especially true of most of the women. One other advantage with the PI, is that the men are infinitely more interesting, intellectually. Most Thai men do not seem to want to be bothered with developing friendships with foreigners. Not so in the PI. Again, an example of how much more open minded the people are there, and how interested they are in the world around them. 

No question the church there holds alot of sway. That may be slowly changing. But, they are hanging on for dear life, till their last gasping breath. They do influence alot. Especially the inability to get divorced. That is quite heinous. But, most people I know who marry PI women refuse to marry in the PI. They do it elsewhere. Smart. One must resist stupid and ignorant policy, with all the power in one's being. 

No idea what you are referring to about you avoidance of personal relationships. I have alot of wonderful relationships all over the world. Best if you stay on topic. 

Edited by spidermike007