• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

There are decent schools in Thailand. 

You need to put your hand in your pocket and pay the fees, though. I guess that might be beyond the means of many. 

I'll be paying £1500 a month in Hong Kong. 

I knew people would try say Thai schools are good. That's fine, you can tel yourself that. Luckily i and most others know different. NO KID FAILS.

All paying more means is the kid doesn;t fail at a more expensive school. They're still not how an answer is concluded, they are taught parrot fashion.

Just now, SoiBiker said:

You're clearly not familiar with some of the better international schools.

I am.

As i say, you're only convincing yourself.

The worst school in a western schooling environment is still 10 times a better education than the so called best school in Thailand.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

6 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

There are decent schools in Thailand. 

You need to put your hand in your pocket and pay the fees, though. I guess that might be beyond the means of many. 

Maybe...

The sprogs last school was an international at 70k baht a year with 3 terms a year for a year 1 five year old kid. She had been in School since the age of 3 and is now in a UK Primary school and initially struggled here so even good international schools aint up to much in my opinion, I suppose you Soi Biker have some experience to back up your assumptions though....

1 minute ago, mark131v said:

Maybe...

The sprogs last school was an international at 70k baht a year with 3 terms a year for a year 1 five year old kid. She had been in School since the age of 3 and is now in a UK Primary school and initially struggled here so even good international schools aint up to much in my opinion, I suppose you Soi Biker have some experience to back up your assumptions though....

70k baht a year is very much at the lower end of the market. I wouldn't expect much for that price. 

1 minute ago, Franky Bear said:

Still all about "Face" at the schools. Hence no kid fails, esp at a so called ****cackle*** high end one.

Again, you don't understand how international schools work. The decent ones are accredited by outside authorities, and would not retain that accreditation unless they were applying decent standards to their students. 

1 minute ago, SoiBiker said:

I agree that the Thai education system leaves a lot to be desired - which is precisely why international schools are so popular. But to say a decent education isn't available here - albeit at a cost - is simply ridiculous. 

I can only speak from my own experience and I would say that it is very difficult to get even a basic level of education for a child unless you are absolutely minted

I was on offshore wages with a military pension and it is still a big thing and actually after 3 years in education in Thailand all of it in Private or International schools she was still only at the most basic entry level of a UK state school. I seriously doubt her education would be anywhere near the standard she has the opportunity to get now and for me that is what it is all about...

Just now, mark131v said:

I can only speak from my own experience and I would say that it is very difficult to get even a basic level of education for a child unless you are absolutely minted

I was on offshore wages with a military pension and it is still a big thing and actually after 3 years in education in Thailand all of it in Private or International schools she was still only at the most basic entry level of a UK state school. I seriously doubt her education would be anywhere near the standard she has the opportunity to get now and for me that is what it is all about...

I didn't claim it was cheap - I merely stated that a decent education is available here if you are willing to pay for it. 

1 hour ago, Franky Bear said:

Well put. Very similar to me. The kids education is number 1.

I never understand why people have a kid here and have nothing to stop them going to their home country to give them a proper education. No matter how hard they try and convince you, the Thai education system is truly awful no matter what type of school you go to. To me it's very selfish and denying the child so many things over their greed to stay in Thailand. (i know the offended train will be along soon)

The only reason i didn't take mine home or to a better country before now was the step daughter. I was never going to split a family up for my own selfish reasons. I was "all in" with the Mrs, i didn't pick and chose the best bits. I couldn't have took my Mrs and kid to the UK and have left the amazing step daughter here with her grandmother during her school years. She is now 22 and got a good job so we can move on.

And we are.

Your Thai wife was educated in the Thai education system.  So....is she some kind of idiot?  Why would you marry someone who is the product of an education system that you so despise?  You don't sound particularly bright....

I didn't claim it was cheap - I merely stated that a decent education is available here if you are willing to pay for it. 

I disagree, I think Franky Bear hit the nail on the head unless you are in the top 1% income bracket then a decent education is not available for the majority of expat kids and is a virtual waste of time for Thai Schools or Uni's

Just now, mark131v said:

I disagree, I think Franky Bear hit the nail on the head unless you are in the top 1% income bracket then a decent education is not available for the majority of expat kids and is a virtual waste of time for Thai Schools or Uni's

Like I said - not everyone can afford it. 

No offence, but a 70k baht a year school is not representative of the kind of places I'm referring to here. 

3 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Like I said - not everyone can afford it. 

No offence, but a 70k baht a year school is not representative of the kind of places I'm referring to here. 

70k baht a term 3 terms a year 210k baht a year before all the other expenses but you are right there are many much more expensive schools out there

Edited by mark131v

Just now, mark131v said:

70k baht a term 3 terms a year 210k baht a year before all the other expenses but you are right there aremany much more expensive schools out there

Yeah, that's still pretty low end. 

My point was, though, that a decent education is available here, if you're willing (and able) to pay for it.

19 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Again, you don't understand how international schools work. The decent ones are accredited by outside authorities, and would not retain that accreditation unless they were applying decent standards to their students. 

I do understand mate. I also understand how Thailand works with this kind of thing.  Apparently you don't. It's denial by you. Do the right thing and get your kid an education in your Home country. 

13 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Your Thai wife was educated in the Thai education system.  So....is she some kind of idiot?  Why would you marry someone who is the product of an education system that you so despise?  You don't sound particularly bright....

The he moonhowlers are out tonight. WOOP WOOP. 

Just now, Franky Bear said:

I do understand mate. I also understand how Thailand works with this kind of thing.  Apparently you don't. It's denial by you. Do the right thing and get your kid an education in your Home country. 

I don't have kids. 

If I did, though, I'd have no qualms sending them to schools who's graduates have attained places at universities like Oxford or Cambridge - or do you think they just let anybody in who pays, too?

I don't have kids. 

If I did, though, I'd have no qualms sending them to schools who's graduates have attained places at universities like Oxford or Cambridge - or do you think they just let anybody in who pays, too?

Yes, they do.

NO ONE FAILS. 

I got it...you're a "teacher" right?

Edited by Franky Bear

3 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Yeah, that's still pretty low end. 

My point was, though, that a decent education is available here, if you're willing (and able) to pay for it.

True, I agree but my point is after having my kid in school from the age of 3 and paying sums up to GBP 5 K per year (as a 5 year old child!) at some of the better schools in my area she was no better prepared for entry into a UK state school, maybe it is just me but that seems to be the whole point......

Just now, mark131v said:

True, I agree but my point is after having my kid in school from the age of 3 and paying sums up to GBP 5 K per year (as a 5 year old child!) at some of the better schools in my area she was no better prepared for entry into a UK state school, maybe it is just me but that seems to be the whole point......

I think this is actually just him trying to tell us how much money he has. 

2 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Like i said (several times now) - a decent education here doesn't come cheap. You get what you paid for, and you didn't pay that much. 

2 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Nope, I'm not a teacher either. 

You seriously think you can buy yourself entry into Oxbridge via an international school?

No no you get in because you're a born genius. Again, you're not convincing anyone. The schooling from top to bottom is awful.  Again, the worst school in the uk will still be better than the best school in Thailand. 

Edited by Franky Bear

From the way you're going about arguing, and the rather naive ideas you have about how these things work, one assumes you may just have first-hand experience of the worst school in the UK.

Nonetheless, whilst you're entitled to your opinion, in this case it's completely wrong. 

6 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

From the way you're going about arguing, and the rather naive ideas you have about how these things work, one assumes you may just have first-hand experience of the worst school in the UK.

Nonetheless, whilst you're entitled to your opinion, in this case it's completely wrong. 

Again, trying to convince yourself.  It's ok, we get it ??