Leaving after a decade.

DennisF

2 minutes ago, GuestHouse said:

The OP has been treated to a barrage of negativity and personal abuse for simply stating that he's leaving Thailand for his own personal reasons. 

I think you need to re-read the thread...

The OP recieved negative comments simply because he was covering up the fact he was just whining about nothing in other words the usual Thai bashing you see on these boards, he said his reasons for leaving were related to the current government, yet when asked many times to provide real world examples of how the current government had effected his life in Thailand he was unnable to provide a single example.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

If it's not working out for whatever reason, better to leave and be happier elsewhere than to stay here and moan about it.

Which is what the OP is doing... or did I miss something?

2 hours ago, GuestHouse said:

What you missed --- The OP wrote, "I feel really uncomfortable here now, unwelcome and unwanted by the current government as it gets more and more restrictive, oppressive and appears to bring in new legislation and requirements, almost on a daily basis, that makes life here untenable for me."

When asked what was getting more restrictive and oppressive to make it untenable for him - he couldn't come up with any.  :wai2:

The OP also asked, "Is anyone else feeling this kind of pressure?" So I guess his requests would suppose one lived in Thailand and was a mind reader - because he never said specifically what kind of pressure.  

Feel free to ask anytime else but you could read the OP if you have any further questions.  

Edited by Scotwight

What's interesting, is for the numerous posters, who state that they returned to the UK or US and they love it and it's great...not one of them give any clue at all to what the price tag of this transition was.  "Me and the wife and two kids moved back to the US and she loves it and the schools are great."  Let me see.....airfare for 4...5000 usd...good public K-12 in the US...in California?  So you simply got off the plane and shelled out 2 million for a starter home in Cupertino and sent the kids to public school?  

And for those that claim many are stuck here for financial reasons, I would say, yes, it would be financially unwise for me to move to the US or UK, because of the serious costs involved.  And the poster proclaiming the great medical care in the US....I can show you insurance quotes for two, in their early 50s in good health, that are 1300 per month, with a 13000 usd deductible.

Craft beer, wine, cheese, gasoline, milk, good clothes...all cheaper in the US.....but the monthly costs to enjoy those items?  <deleted>.

I'm a fan of Stickman, and I'm sure some of you are, too.  Stick turned into a Thailand basher...and all of a sudden, things are much better in Kiwi.  I don't know how much Stick makes promoting Ladyboy bars at NEP, but just notice....he's been gone for a year, and while we've seen some great photos of Kiwiland...one must wonder..is the guy living in his parent's basement?  He only said prices had gone up a lot and he was looking...not a peep since..did you buy property or not, Stick?  Have you held any kind of trabajo since you've been back?

The feel good stories are great, but it would be nice if we could get some hard numbers with the cheerleading.

I agree this guy has not given one specific experience which justifies his post to any extent. Thaivisa is like any newspaper 90% bs 10% true but the reason you/we return is simply entertainment value. I enjoyed reading the sun newspaper in uk which is the gutter of journalism but I knew that and it has entertainment value and a very good football section. Point is OP after 10 years you cannot put your finger on it but the truth is IMO the relationship you had to end is the catalyst to your post and nothing  else. The country is primitive yes but I suspect a lot of people actually enjoy the challenge, I do I love walking into a restaurant and people thinking my wife's a hooker and I'm a sex tourist, then 40 minutes later they see we know each other too well for their assumption to be true. I love that, makes them realise they are no always right and log may that continue.

2 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I agree this guy has not given one specific experience which justifies his post to any extent. Thaivisa is like any newspaper 90% bs 10% true but the reason you/we return is simply entertainment value. I enjoyed reading the sun newspaper in uk which is the gutter of journalism but I knew that and it has entertainment value and a very good football section. Point is OP after 10 years you cannot put your finger on it but the truth is IMO the relationship you had to end is the catalyst to your post and nothing  else. The country is primitive yes but I suspect a lot of people actually enjoy the challenge, I do I love walking into a restaurant and people thinking my wife's a hooker and I'm a sex tourist, then 40 minutes later they see we know each other too well for their assumption to be true. I love that, makes them realise they are no always right and log may that continue.

I think you might be over-estimating how much attention complete strangers are paying to your relationship with your wife. 

38 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

What you missed --- The OP wrote, "I feel really uncomfortable here now, unwelcome and unwanted by the current government as it gets more and more restrictive, oppressive and appears to bring in new legislation and requirements, almost on a daily basis, that makes life here untenable for me."

When asked what was getting more restrictive and oppressive to make it untenable for him - he couldn't come up with any.  :wai2:

The OP also asked, "Is anyone else feeling this kind of pressure?" So I guess his requests would suppose one lived in Thailand and was a mind reader - because he never said specifically what kind of pressure.  

Feel free to ask anytime else but you could read the OP if you have any further questions.  

I was responding to SoiBiker who said:

If it's not working out for whatever reason, better to leave and be happier elsewhere than to stay here and moan about it.

And I read the DennisF's OP, he is, for whatever reason, leaving to be happier elsewhere rather than staying in Thailand to moan about it.

Once again, unless I missed something ... he is doing exactly as SoiBiker suggests. 

If DennisF is not doing as you want him to, that's another matter. 

Just now, SoiBiker said:

I think you might be over-estimating how much attention complete strangers are paying to your relationship with your wife. 

Err no that's how most thai people view farangs with thai women I think. Examples:

Hi you here for holiday?

Excuse me she say you married is that right she your wife?

The first question is a basis for their assumption that you are simply a tourist and in the eyes of a lot of thais a sex tourist.

The 2nd example is the fact they need reassurance on what is being said to them.

The best one. Subtle but not too subtle.

We thought you two just met and you come for holiday.

I think you underestimate how much thai people like to do a des lynam  and commentate on anything out of the ordinary. You are more often than not the conversation topic. 

Thanks

4 hours ago, Naam said:

depending also on ignorance, lack of education, intolerance, disappointment that a foreigner in Thailand is not automatically treated as Bwana or Sahib...

shall i go on? :whistling:

I believe in free speech, fill your boots up!

3 hours ago, GuestHouse said:

What the OP is doing is moaning about the Thai governmet while refusing to provide examples of how said Thai government is negativley effecting his life.

He may or might not actually leave Thailand, at the moment he is still here(& moaning) ...given how flighty his posts are I doubt he will actually follow through and leave, the makeup sex might already be in the bag.

All we can say for sure at this point is that hes bashing Thailand without giving good reasons for doing so...

Things are not always as they seem. 

Additionally I just want to put it out there that this post could be a decent way to find some unfortunate soul who has assets and wants to leave. Some smart trolls out there not too smart but better than your average.

Edited by Rc2702
Erection

2 hours ago, HappyDazed said:

What the OP is doing is moaning about the Thai governmet while refusing to provide examples of how said Thai government is negativley effecting his life.

He may or might not actually leave Thailand, at the moment he is still here(& moaning) ...given how flighty his posts are I doubt he will actually follow through and leave, the makeup sex might already be in the bag.

All we can say for sure at this point is that hes bashing Thailand without giving good reasons for doing so...

Fair enough but equally why not challenge SB to tell us 10 examples of what is awesome about Thailand. I like Thailand, i enjoy it here but for sure i would be struggling on that challenge. Over the top pro Thailand comments are likely to generate negative attacks so there is definitely fault on both sides.

Edited by rogeroc

OP (and everyone else),

You can check out, but you can never leave.

Like me, you need to be based in two countries. Thailand and [insert you home country here].

You're all internationalists. Behave like one.

Perhaps Mr. Psychologist, you have simply grown used to Thailand and its people. For you, Thailand has lost its charm/novelty and what is left is not worth staying for. I don't think current "government" policies differ much from previous. I certainly do not feel more pressure than before.

Like the rest of the world, rapid modernisation and technological advancements have hit Thailand in recent years, so of course the country and its people have changed a lot, but the same applies everywhere.

On 8/26/2016 at 11:27 PM, SoiBiker said:

I love it here, and I'm very happy with my choice to live here. But I still reserve my right to bemoan the fact that the most prominent online forum for those of us who live here is dominated by whiny miserable types who moved here for all the wrong reasons and then either lack the nous to get out, or do so but then spend years coming back to the forum and running the place down in some weird attempt to justify their decision. 

Thailand is an awesome place to be, and this forum ought to be a celebration of that fact. Sadly, most of the time its anything but.

I suspect that forums exist to talk about the good, the bad and the ugly?

Human nature is that we are more likely to tell others about the bad, rather than the good - and posters then relate their own experiences, good or bad.

A forum dedicated to celebrating only the awesome nature of living in Thailand (a loose translation of your words) is doomed to fail - as (to repeat) posters are interested in the good, the bad and the ugly.  They get bored v quickly with everyone congratulating themselves on the choices they've made and the perfection of the forum subject!

15 hours ago, Scotwight said:

Perhaps where the poster went wrong was in specifying his 'uncomfortable' etc. as being down to the current government?

Its been going on for a while, but I think most of the ridiculous/appalling ideas were recent?

e.g. single gateway/copy of ATM card for retirement extension/new form requesting social media info/'photo outside house for retirement extension/proof of residence for retirement extension etc. etc.  These are all new requirements that have been demanded over the last couple of years (IIRC).

One of the weirdest posts I have ever seen on Thai Visa.On your extraordinary restaurant example there Is absolutely no comment to be made.[emoji15]

One of the weirdest posts I have ever seen on Thai Visa.On your extraordinary restaurant example there Is absolutely no comment to be made.[emoji15]

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

One of the weirdest posts I have ever seen on Thai Visa.On your extraordinary restaurant example there Is absolutely no comment to be made.emoji15.png

You ever taken your thai lady to a hotel?

I'm in ekkamai last week restaurant on corner by BTS. Nice joint. Anyway a Chinese husband and wife are behind us and four thai guys are talking to them across a table. He explains they on holiday, they presume he means he came on holiday and met the lady. This is my husband are the words I hear (clear english) they are like Ohh they are surprised. Happens a lot surprised no one notices. Google thais think wife is hooker. A lot of info. 

24 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I'm in ekkamai last week restaurant on corner by BTS. Nice joint. Anyway a Chinese husband and wife are behind us and four thai guys are talking to them across a table. He explains they on holiday, they presume he means he came on holiday and met the lady. This is my husband are the words I hear (clear english) they are like Ohh they are surprised. Happens a lot surprised no one notices. Google thais think wife is hooker. A lot of info. 

And hidden there amongst the poor/semi English is an anti Thai & anti Farang rant/put down.....:blink:

On 8/23/2016 at 1:23 PM, Franky Bear said:

I'm in the same boat kind of. I've been here 11 years and although i have had a great time, an amazing family and memories of a lifetime. It's time to move on. There's an "event" and the domino effect of that that will happen soon that could make it harder to live here. Then again it may not be as dramatic as many think.

For me it's about my daughter and wife. I want to give them a better way of life here, esp my 8 year old. The schools here are terrible, despite what people try and tell you.

I was going to take them back to Scotland to live which is a way better way of life than Thailand. My wife and kid have been back and loved it and wanted to move there. Then an amazing opportunity popped up out of nowhere where i have now secured a job with full family relocation to Hong Kong.

I don;t need to go too deep with HK, but it offers a great education for the kid, it's safe, the expat community are all professionals with good jobs and it offers a great mix of east and west.

We will be keeping our house in Thailand and i'd be a fool to say we will never live here again. But that will be once my kid finishes her education.

Before i get called a hater etc i want to highlight again i love the country and all it's given me, at 42 years old, and the opportunity i now have, the timing is perfect.

Called a hater?

Man, that is one of the best snapshots of an expat who is making a life that I have seen, with real thought, good judgement and in a very decent manner. On top of that there's always that bit of luck, but as they say in football "We make our own luck" and you have described a great life as well.

I hope Hong Kong works out for you, and I'm sure your daughter will grow up as a strong, well rounded human being!

23 hours ago, GuestHouse said:

I have to agree with you on this. The OP has been treated to a barrage of negativity and personal abuse for simply stating that he's leaving Thailand for his own personal reasons. 

I'm sorry I responded to another of your posts and this one really had the crux of what I think is your position on the OP. 

You wrote, "The OP has been treated to a barrage of negativity and personal abuse for simply stating that he's leaving Thailand for his own personal reasons."

That's not true the OP wrote "I feel really uncomfortable here now, unwelcome and unwanted by the

current government as it gets more and more restrictive, oppressive and appears to bring in new legislation and requirements, almost on a daily basis, that makes life here untenable for me......  Is anyone else feeling this kind of pressure?"

Then the OP refused to be specific about any of his untenable things making it impossible for anyone to answer his question about feeling pressure. 

Edited by Scotwight

35 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

I am not sure you are correct,  even if the Op hasn't though, many others have described why they see a deterioration.

The only ones I was referring to was the OP and the person commenting about it.  The OP wrote an anti government post.  I don't remember anyone citing a circumstance that the new government caused them to leave. 

Public Education is terrible if you have kids you should leave.  No argument there but the OP was about some government actions that were never specified. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:31 PM, HappyDazed said:

I think you need to re-read the thread...

The OP recieved negative comments simply because he was covering up the fact he was just whining about nothing in other words the usual Thai bashing you see on these boards, he said his reasons for leaving were related to the current government, yet when asked many times to provide real world examples of how the current government had effected his life in Thailand he was unnable to provide a single example.

When I see posts requesting the OP openly criticise the current government in writing, well....I really struggle to give any credibility to the judgement and appraisal of the current situation in Thailand, to the person requesting, or those that 'like' the post.

3 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

3 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Generally Thais know exactly whether the partner of a farang has a 'past' or not.Whether the couple is married is neither here nor there.All sorts of clues are immediately obvious in the way most Englishmen can assess the class/education of another Englishman without any difficulty.But there are some interesting nuances.Obviously little toleration is given to loud mouthed hookers/ex-hookers with foul manners but most Thais are very tolerant.I remember once at a party years ago listening to a Mom Rajawongse conversing very politely and attentively to the Thai wife of a French diplomat whom I had run into in the water trade several years before.But she was a charming clever creature and although there was some gossip of course, nobody really cared less.I really like that aspect of the Thai character.In Thailand good manners and good looks can take you a very long way from any dubious origins.

Edited by jayboy