Leaving after a decade.

DennisF

21 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

I have Philippine friends who had to go back this week.  Crying at the airport and everyone upset.  They have lived in Thailand for 10 years.  Had children here.  Educated here.  All say no comparison between Thailand and Philippines.    

If thousands of Philippine people come to Thailand to work and live and feel going back is like a death sentence that has to tell you something.  No?  

That and I've a couple of friends who ran afoul of the church there.  It is easy to have church problems there and almost impossible to have church problems here.  If you had lived there you would know what I was talking about.  Nutty place.  But go try.  Better if you avoid any personal relationships and are a hermit then everything might turn out OK.   

They all left the PI to work.  There are no jobs there.  That's the only reason Filipinos willingly leave. 

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in my 10th year here in Thailand, still enjoying it although not as much as when I first came here. Have a house in Isaan, a condo in Jomtien where I go chill and eat by the beach, living in Bangkok most of the year and thinking of having a place up North in CM / CR for the winter months.

Things I dislike, particularly about Bangkok is the horrendous traffic, idiotic drivers, the oppressive heat, difficulty in communicating (I speak passable Thai), nonsensical rules and regulations (from immigration to traffic issues) and corrupt policemen. Apart from that, I still love the food (though not as much as street side food in countries like Malaysia), the good quality of life that I enjoy and the reasonable prices.

However, as time goes by, I believe that the cons will outgrow the pros and that will be the time to start thinking about moving. HK and S'pore are out because of the high cost of living. Met some lovely Vietnamese ladies in HCM although I personally don't think I would enjoy living there (not sure about other parts of Vietnam). PI sounds a good alternative - have friends who rave about life there. Laos might be a bit too backwater. Wasn't impressed by Phnom Penh or the cuisine.

At any rate, will wait for the big event and take it from there.

4 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

PI sounds a good alternative - have friends who rave about life there. Laos might be a bit too backwater. Wasn't impressed by Phnom Penh or the cuisine.

Been to Laos and PI ....... Laos was awful, nothing to do, bored out of my mind after 1 night.

37 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I'm in my 10th year here in Thailand, still enjoying it although not as much as when I first came here. Have a house in Isaan, a condo in Jomtien where I go chill and eat by the beach, living in Bangkok most of the year and thinking of having a place up North in CM / CR for the winter months.

Things I dislike, particularly about Bangkok is the horrendous traffic, idiotic drivers, the oppressive heat, difficulty in communicating (I speak passable Thai), nonsensical rules and regulations (from immigration to traffic issues) and corrupt policemen. Apart from that, I still love the food (though not as much as street side food in countries like Malaysia), the good quality of life that I enjoy and the reasonable prices.

However, as time goes by, I believe that the cons will outgrow the pros and that will be the time to start thinking about moving. HK and S'pore are out because of the high cost of living. Met some lovely Vietnamese ladies in HCM although I personally don't think I would enjoy living there (not sure about other parts of Vietnam). PI sounds a good alternative - have friends who rave about life there. Laos might be a bit too backwater. Wasn't impressed by Phnom Penh or the cuisine.

Good points. I happen to love Bangkok, but I do not live there, and only visit as often as I can. I do not think I would enjoy more than two weeks at a time there. 

Of all of those spots, the only one that would appeal to me for living is the PI. It really has alot going for it. The nature there is spectacular. Far more unspoiled than in Thailand. And far more rain. So very lush, with super clean air, outside of the cities, and amazing water, that is as good as, or better than the Andaman. Now, if Thailand has some more options for living on the Andaman, besides the tired, worn out, and grossly overpriced Phuket, it might be a whole different story. Though there are some nice beaches on the Gulf, the water is really inferior, and too polluted. Also too shallow, so not much circulation. The waters in the PI, the diving, and the adventure and travel options with over 7,000 islands, are endless. 

Another plus is the visa policy. Far less cumbersome than Thailand. 

Though there are alot of ex-pats living in Thailand, it seems to me that the ex-pat community is far larger in the PI. I do not know the exact numbers. But in certain spots, there are thousands of ex-pats. A lot more Americans than in Thailand, probably because of the long relationship between the PI and the US. And the fact that it is so much more Westernized. So, the place does not feel like another planet, as Thailand often does. The people here really have no concept of the outside world, nor do they seem particularly interested. And that brings up my final point. There seems to be something about the educational system here that discourages curiosity, and interest in the world at large. Not so in the PI. People are far more fluent in geography, seem much better educated, more curious, more alive on some levels, and most definitely more interested in foreigners, and learning, and expanding their horizons. That would be very, very refreshing, to be around people like that. Plus the average Philippine speaks very good english, can read and write english, and it makes communicating so much easier. And the signs are in an alphabet we can recognize! I get so tired sometimes of the extreme lack of english. Even on major Thai websites. Astonishing, really, how behind the curve they are here when it comes to english. 

Having said all that, there are some real downsides to living there. The infrastructure is far inferior to Thailand, and so is the food. The place is not as secure as here, and there is alot more crime. Vehicles seem to be even costlier than here. However, the PI has a far more intelligent and visionary import and duty system, which makes it far easier to enjoy imported goods, or have things sent over from overseas. Many foreign products are cheaper. The place in general is cheaper than Thailand.

If you are willing to deal with the downside, you can enjoy a very good life there, especially as a single man, where the place ranks very close to paradise, according to several men I know that live there. PI women can be exquisite, and are far, far, far less cunning, and infinitely less jaded than the majority of Thai women, and as a result of that, their requirements, desires and expectations seem to be a fraction of what the average Thai woman wants, or needs. 

Edited by spidermike007

36 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Do you think the big event will be an issue? Don't answer if doing so causes an issue.

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

They all left the PI to work.  There are no jobs there.  That's the only reason Filipinos willingly leave. 

This is very true. They are the largest remitters of foreign currency on the planet. The PI is still very poor. Which is good for an ex-pat who chooses to live there. There is alot of potential upside for us. They have real ghettos, and very poor people. Not so here. 

10 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Do you think the big event will be an issue? Don't answer if doing so causes an issue.

Who knows? There is for sure huge uncertainty. Bear in mind that over 2 generations have not had to deal with this. 

Best to let this rest now

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Good points. I happen to love Bangkok, but I do not live there, and only visit as often as I can. I do not think I would enjoy more than two weeks at a time there. 

Of all of those spots, the only one that would appeal to me for living is the PI. It really has alot going for it. The nature there is spectacular. Far more unspoiled than in Thailand. And far more rain. So very lush, with super clean air, outside of the cities, and amazing water, that is as good as, or better than the Andaman. Now, if Thailand has some more options for living on the Andaman, besides the tired, worn out, and grossly overpriced Phuket, it might be a whole different story. Though there are some nice beaches on the Gulf, the water is really inferior, and too polluted. Also too shallow, so not much circulation. The waters in the PI, the diving, and the adventure and travel options with over 7,000 islands, are endless. 

Though there are alot of ex-pats living in Thailand, it seems to me that the ex-pat community is far larger in the PI. I do not know the exact numbers. But in certain spots, there are thousands of ex-pats. A lot more Americans than in Thailand, probably because of the long relationship between the PI and the US. And the fact that it is so much more Westernized. So, the place does not feel like another planet, as Thailand often does. The people here really have no concept of the outside world, nor do they seem particularly interested. And that brings up my final point. There seems to be something about the educational system here that discourages curiosity, and interest in the world at large. Not so in the PI. People are far more fluent in geography, seem much better educated, more curious, more alive on some levels, and most definitely more interested in foreigners, and learning, and expanding their horizons. That would be very, very refreshing, to be around people like that. Plus the average Philippine speaks very good english, can read and write english, and it makes communicating so much easier. And the signs are in an alphabet we can recognize! I get so tired sometimes of the extreme lack of english. Even on major Thai websites. Astonishing, really, how behind the curve they are here when it comes to english. 

Having said all that, there are some real downsides to living there. The infrastructure is far inferior to Thailand, and so is the food. The place is not as secure as here, and there is alot more crime. Vehicles seem to be even costlier than here. However, the PI has a far more intelligent and visionary import and duty system, which makes it far easier to enjoy imported goods, or have things sent over from overseas. Many foreign products are cheaper. The place in general is cheaper than Thailand.

If you are willing to deal with the downside, you can enjoy a very good life there, especially as a single man, where the place ranks very close to paradise, according to several men I know that live there. PI women can be exquisite, and are far, far, far less cunning, and infinitely less jaded than the majority of Thai women, and as a result of that, their requirements, desires and expectations seem to be a fraction of what the average Thai woman wants, or needs. 

Never under-estimate the capacity of ex-pats in any particular country to exaggerate the advantages of their chosen country - to validate their decision!

I came away with a negative impression of Filipinos after a 5 week holiday in a tourist area (about 15 years ago), but perhaps I was unlucky.

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

Never under-estimate the capacity of ex-pats in any particular country to exaggerate the advantages of their chosen country - to validate their decision!

I came away with a negative impression of Filipinos after a 5 week holiday in a tourist area (about 15 years ago), but perhaps I was unlucky.

First of all the place has changed alot in 15 years. It has grown, and it has gotten more developed. The infrastructure is better now, than it was back then. Also, you really need to see different parts of the country, to get a feel for the place. Manila is one of the least interesting, and most congested capital cities in Asia. So, you have to travel around. The culture is incredibly diverse, so people are different wherever you go. Many dialects, and many different ways of life there. In the few trips I have had there I came away with a very positive impression of the people. Also, the Philippine people I know in the US, and here are impressive people. Hard working, straight forward, smart, quick witted, educated, and they speak great english! Need I say more?

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Like everything in life, there are pros and cons. From a relationship point of view, the PI has Thailand beat by miles, and miles and miles. The PI women are superior on countless levels. And I am married to an exceptional Thai woman. But, if I were single, I know where I would move in a nanosecond. The overall quality of life is definitely better in Thailand. But, it is more expensive, and the people are a bit more jaded. That is especially true of most of the women. One other advantage with the PI, is that the men are infinitely more interesting, intellectually. Most Thai men do not seem to want to be bothered with developing friendships with foreigners. Not so in the PI. Again, an example of how much more open minded the people are there, and how interested they are in the world around them. 

No question the church there holds alot of sway. That may be slowly changing. But, they are hanging on for dear life, till their last gasping breath. They do influence alot. Especially the inability to get divorced. That is quite heinous. But, most people I know who marry PI women refuse to marry in the PI. They do it elsewhere. Smart. One must resist stupid and ignorant policy, with all the power in one's being. 

No idea what you are referring to about you avoidance of personal relationships. I have alot of wonderful relationships all over the world. Best if you stay on topic. 

The topic is leaving Thailand.  You are the one who has made it an advertising pitch for the Philippines.    

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

So, the new topic is how much we all love the Philippines and women from a particular country are all the same?:cheesy: 

20 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

First of all the place has changed alot in 15 years. It has grown, and it has gotten more developed. The infrastructure is better now, than it was back then. Also, you really need to see different parts of the country, to get a feel for the place. Manila is one of the least interesting, and most congested capital cities in Asia. So, you have to travel around. The culture is incredibly diverse, so people are different wherever you go. Many dialects, and many different ways of life there. In the few trips I have had there I came away with a very positive impression of the people. Also, the Philippine people I know in the US, and here are impressive people. Hard working, straight forward, smart, quick witted, educated, and they speak great english! Need I say more?

Not sure how any of that invalidates my opinion of the Filipinos 15 years ago in a tourist area?

It seems unlikely that they would have improved over that time.

12 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

So, the new topic is how much we all love the Philippines and women from a particular country are all the same?:cheesy: 

If you don't like the contents of a post, why bother to reply to it? Personally, I found spidermike's points very useful for my own information. 

17 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Of course I am generalizing here. But, I have experienced it myself, and have heard it from dozens of men over the years, including friends who used to live here, and in Cambodia too, and compare those spots to the PI. On so many levels they prefer Philippine women. I am married to a Thai woman who I adore, and know alot of really lovely Thai women. But, this is just for the sake of comparison. And I would say the general rule of thumb is the older you are, and the younger you like them, the more this applies. Much more so in the PI, than here in the LOS.

31 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

The topic is leaving Thailand.  You are the one who has made it an advertising pitch for the Philippines.    

Wow. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? Yes, the topic is leaving Thailand. And a big part of that topic for most of us, is where to go next. Pardon my offense for making a suggestion, and providing some information to support that suggestion. Damn. Hope you day improves, and may you live long and prosper. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Of course I am generalizing here. But, I have experienced it myself, and have heard it from dozens of men over the years, including friends who used to live here, and in Cambodia too, and compare those spots to the PI. On so many levels they prefer Philippine women. I am married to a Thai woman who I adore, and know alot of really lovely Thai women. But, this is just for the sake of comparison. And I would say the general rule of thumb is the older you are, and the younger you like them, the more this applies. Much more so in the PI, than here in the LOS.

How many would constitute an accurate sample in your new topic, "Thai vs Philippine women?"

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wow. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? Yes, the topic is leaving Thailand. And a big part of that topic for most of us, is where to go next. Pardon my offense for making a suggestion, and providing some information to support that suggestion. Damn. Hope you day improves, and may you live long and prosper. 

You wrote, "No idea what you are referring to about you avoidance of personal relationships. I have alot of wonderful relationships all over the world. Best if you stay on topic." 

I shake my head. Most come back. Aesops Grapes.

At least here the demons only really get to you towards the one year renewable.  But we have our Blessed Ubonjoe defending the gate.

It's easy to live here. If you pick the right place. 

Thais are inherently nice people.

You just need to pick your battles accordingly. 

Bruises from being here are mostly self inflicted. 

40 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes - definitely an advertisement for some reason.

The comment "the older you are, and the younger you like them, the more this applies" regarding the Philippines - was the nail in the coffin for me.

On 8/23/2016 at 11:46 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

I've lived/worked here for nearly 11 years and have a family here.  There are certainly pros/cons of living here, but I haven't really experienced any changes that have made my life more restricted or oppressive, even though I loathe the politics here.  Perhaps the OP could be more specific about the "pressure" he is feeling?

BEEN here a few years longer and i dont feel any pressurte, with governments, with police, with army, with visas, what is the problem with  people.

On 8/23/2016 at 11:56 AM, DennisF said:

I can fully understand the wanting to get back here, really!

The so called pressures are nothing specific, just a build up of straws that have broken the camels back.

Not sure which straw was the final weight!

I have lived in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and Issan and found them all to be acceptable and enjoyable.

I just feel quality of life here has deteriorated substantially in the last 10/12 years.

So if quality of life has deteriorated in the last 10/12 years, how long have you lived here, 20 years?????

54 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

On so many levels they prefer Philippine women.

I don't give two hoots about Philippine women, but the booze is way cheaper over there, and if drinking is an important part of your lifestyle, Philippines beats Thailand hands down. And the food, Philippines beats Thailand hands down AGAIN.

Carafe of house red wine = 140 pesos in a restaurant (just over 110bht). 

Just now, MissAndry said:

I don't give two hoots about Philippine women, but the booze is way cheaper over there, and if drinking is an important part of your lifestyle, Philippines beats Thailand hands down. And the food, Philippines beats Thailand hands down AGAIN.

Fascinating reply. I have never in my life heard anyone say they prefer the food in the Philippines over Thailand. A bit like saying the food is better in Havana than Hong Kong, or Paris. Even all of my friends who live there, say they cannot stand the food. Fat, greasy, nasty food. And the Philippine people do not have the culinary gene the Thai people were blessed with. In some ways they are more like the Cubans, who would not know a good meal if it hit them up the side of the head. Of course you can find good food there, if you look hard, or know where to go. And there is essentially no street food you would want to eat. Thailand blows away the PI when it comes to food, food handling, the freshness of the fruits and vegetables, and just about anything related to food. Even the beer is better here. And that is saying alot!

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Fascinating reply. I have never in my life heard anyone say they prefer the food in the Philippines over Thailand. A bit like saying the food is better in Havana than Hong Kong, or Paris. Even all of my friends who live there, say they cannot stand the food. Fat, greasy, nasty food. And the Philippine people do not have the culinary gene the Thai people were blessed with. In some ways they are more like the Cubans, who would not know a good meal if it hit them up the side of the head. Of course you can find good food there, if you look hard, or know where to go. And there is essentially no street food you would want to eat. Thailand blows away the PI when it comes to food, food handling, the freshness of the fruits and vegetables, and just about anything related to food. Even the beer is better here. And that is saying alot!

1st morning in Baloy Beach, found a better full English breakfast than anything I have managed to find during 2 months in CM (240 peso and more than I could eat).

2nd evening a little street restaurant outside 7/11 on Baloy Beach road corner, a great local dish pork adobo, chunks of lean pork and potato in gravy served with rice (65 peso).

4th day, British fish and chip restaurant, Cornish pasties, meat pies, nothing like it in CM, meat pies here are 95% gravy (pastie and chips 180 peso).

6th evening, Mexican restaurant, really good meal for two with carafe of house red wine 750 pesos. More than we could finish. Tried 3 Mex places in CM, all total s*&%.

My only 'food' complaint, not one decent coffee bar, coffee was total c$%#.

Don't know where your pals are eating, maybe they don't look around all that much. If I'd been there longer, I'm confident I would have found many more good places to eat.

Why is fruit in Thailand so overpriced? Bananas and Strawberries are about half the price in central London.

Edited by MissAndry

Personally i think that there are a couple of Filipino dishes (Adobo and Caldereta) that can be superior to the best Thai dishes. One benefit of Thailand though is that if you order a red curry soup or chicken ginger or Pad Thai it will taste pretty similar wherever you purchase it. Not so in the P'Pinnes i have had some awful Adobo's in cheap and expensive restaurants alike. 

Edited by rogeroc

4 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

1st morning in Baloy Beach, found a better full English breakfast than anything I have managed to find during 2 months in CM (240 peso and more than I could eat).

2nd evening a little street restaurant outside 7/11 on Baloy Beach road corner, a great local dish pork adobo, chunks of lean pork and potato in gravy served with rice (65 peso).

4th day, British fish and chip restaurant, Cornish pasties, meat pies, nothing like it in CM, meat pies here are 95% gravy.

6th evening, Mexican restaurant, really good meal for two with carafe of house red wine 750 pesos. Tried 3 Mex places in CM, all total s*&%.

Don't know where your pals are eating, maybe they don't look around all that much. If I'd been there longer, I'm confident I would have found many more good places to eat.

Give it up - he has an agenda to advertise the place - even though some of us quickly discovered that the Filipinos weren't that great.

Edited by dick dasterdly

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Give it up - he has an agenda to advertise the place - even though some of us quickly discovered that the Filipinos weren't that great.

So you are accusing 3 of us of having an agenda to advertise the Philippines? (myself, Mr. Roc and Mr.Spider). You're sounding a bit paranoid. I guess next you will be accusing us of being the same person using 3 different identities.

Edited by MissAndry

24 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

Not everyone is coming from an English food background. :wai2: