Leaving after a decade.

DennisF

I cannot believe how long this topic has gone on!

Flight booked ... car for sale .. Ford Escape... going cheap.

At lerast this takes it away from PI!!

Thanks for your interest in my moving on, I wish you all well.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I cannot believe how long this topic has gone on!

Flight booked ... car for sale .. Ford Escape... going cheap.

At lerast this takes it away from PI!!

Thanks for your interest in my moving on, I wish you all well.

Apologies Dennis (& despite his sarkyness apologies to SoiB also), obviously your thread has brought a lot of different emotions out in people, some of whom are no doubt having their own questions about whether to stay or go.

My posts are pretty black & white, I don't take kindly to people call my gf, her family, my colleagues & friends the scum of the earth (& worse) but I do admit I'm having the same "fight" on 3 or 4 threads so acknowledge my responses might not be proportionate to any one of them.

Good luck with your future plans & even if it's not Thailand, please update us with your progress (would love to hear about life back in the UK then where ever is next) & in return I promise, no more Philippine posts [emoji106]

2 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

Seriously guys - is there not a Phillipinevisa.com you could be boring with this stuff?

No one is forced to read about any topics and you know what they say about people who get bored easily.

Those who find a subject boring could always start some rather more riveting and less boring topics themselves. But that's only if they're capable of doing so.

13 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Yeah. Or you could start a thread about the Philippines and discuss the place to your hearts content. 

Maybe it is just an indication of the times that there is a lot of interest in potential options to Thailand. A shame in many ways but as the OP originally hinted i think a lot of it is 'self inflicted' by the politics of the day. All the best to the OP i think he has taken a lot of unreasonable stick in this thread.

4 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Apparently they'd rather discuss it here for some reason.

Not surprisingly as the thread is about 'moving on elsewhere. Probably a significant majority (including me) still for Thailand so why not stop moaning?

On 8/23/2016 at 1:23 PM, Franky Bear said:

Then an amazing opportunity popped up out of nowhere where i have now secured a job with full family relocation to Hong Kong.

I don;t need to go too deep with HK, but it offers a great education for the kid, it's safe, the expat community are all professionals with good jobs and it offers a great mix of east and west.

:cheesy:

Let me see....home of the Chinese mafia...home of 60,000 US citizens, most with Chinese ancestry....home of many big banks, and even bigger financial scams....home to the same bald headed boiler room workers that can be found in the much less developed countries-just paying higher rent and maybe a little less polyester in their monkey suits.  Eastern HQ for worker exploitation..It does have an impressive economy, albeit extremely vulnerable.  Don't forget your Little Red Book.

10 hours ago, JB300 said:

Apologies Dennis (& despite his sarkyness apologies to SoiB also), obviously your thread has brought a lot of different emotions out in people, some of whom are no doubt having their own questions about whether to stay or go.

My posts are pretty black & white, I don't take kindly to people call my gf, her family, my colleagues & friends the scum of the earth (& worse) but I do admit I'm having the same "fight" on 3 or 4 threads so acknowledge my responses might not be proportionate to any one of them.

Good luck with your future plans & even if it's not Thailand, please update us with your progress (would love to hear about life back in the UK then where ever is next) & in return I promise, no more Philippine posts emoji106.png

The Philippines isn't called the armpit of Asia for nothing. 

Not sure if it was this thread where I mentioned Davao was the safest city in the Philippines but... http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/706734/Huge-bomb-explosion-Davao-City-Roxas-Night-Market-Philippines

My mum (in the UK) woke me up with that this morning & after 20minutes of panic (now I know how my UK-Ex felt when I was working in Canary Wharf on 7/7) finally got through to my gf who stays (very) near there.

Normally I wouldn't have to worry as she goes back to see her family at the weekend but she was staying in town this wknd to celebrate exam successes (she's in her thirties & I've only just hit 50 before anybody comments about "school girls").... Apparently her & her friends were eating at the market 2 hours before the bomb went off.

Reality is she's now banned (by me!) from public places in Davao until I can get her the Fork out of there.

Seems it's not just me...

Edit: there was a picture attached... Will try again...
a1adcb5392b8ec60e0b8a598705f9e7c.jpg

Sad to say, but I anticipate that the situation in SE Asia is going to get alot worse before it gets better. It seems that Thai residents including many on TVF have short memories or are living in a state of denial. We just had a series of bombings and a rather response, including an attempt to blame it on the usual group that gets blamed for everything the military rulers  dislike. There will be more bombings.  The carnage on the road gets worse every year, the water shortages  worse and the divide between those with money and those without grows ever larger.  Simply put, Thailand is going to have some difficulties in the coming years.   As such, if someone is uncomfortable with the local conditions, he should follow his gut. It is that gut feeling which influences personal happiness.

With a  mad man running the Philippines now and with dead bodies piling up, it will soon descend into  near civil war in some districts. I am  surprised that people are oblivious to the fact that Davao and Cebu are close to being declared HIV epidemic zones and yet sing their praises. Those are regions with terrible air route access and which make airports in Ubon and Krabi seem modern and well managed.

Thailand still works for some people. That's great. Long may it   do so. However, for a great many people, people who are able to relocate and who have money, there are now many viable and better options, all of which have been discussed in detail on TVF.

I know it's important for some people to constantly point out the deficiencies and faults of Australia,  and the UK in a furtive attempt to justify their staying in Thailand. Well, Australia and the UK are doing just fine. Their economies are stronger than ever before, and they are in much better shape and more secure than Thailand is, has been or ever will be. The UK and  Australia are still doing well enough to pay the generous pensions to the TVF  gang who never miss an opportunity call other people whingers, yet constantly disparage both countries. Yes there are some wonderful characteristics about Thailand, but on the  issues that matter, substantive issues like  government transparency, a fair judicial process, police officers who do not engage in petty extortion, a separation of church, state and military education, and  quality health care the UK and Australia are well ahead of Thailand.   The government assumes it can impose all sort of bureaucratic inefficiencies on all of its foreign residents and visitors. Some people will tolerate it as they have limited options. Others will say, no thanks and walk away.  

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Sad to say, but I anticipate that the situation in SE Asia is going to get alot worse before it gets better. It seems that Thai residents including many on TVF have short memories or are living in a state of denial. We just had a series of bombings and a rather response, including an attempt to blame it on the usual group that gets blamed for everything the military rulers  dislike. There will be more bombings.  The carnage on the road gets worse every year, the water shortages  worse and the divide between those with money and those without grows ever larger.  Simply put, Thailand is going to have some difficulties in the coming years.   As such, if someone is uncomfortable with the local conditions, he should follow his gut. It is that gut feeling which influences personal happiness.

With a  mad man running the Philippines now and with dead bodies piling up, it will soon descend into  near civil war in some districts. I am  surprised that people are oblivious to the fact that Davao and Cebu are close to being declared HIV epidemic zones and yet sing their praises. Those are regions with terrible air route access and which make airports in Ubon and Krabi seem modern and well managed.

Thailand still works for some people. That's great. Long may it   do so. However, for a great many people, people who are able to relocate and who have money, there are now many viable and better options, all of which have been discussed in detail on TVF.

I know it's important for some people to constantly point out the deficiencies and faults of Australia,  and the UK in a furtive attempt to justify their staying in Thailand. Well, Australia and the UK are doing just fine. Their economies are stronger than ever before, and they are in much better shape and more secure than Thailand is, has been or ever will be. The UK and  Australia are still doing well enough to pay the generous pensions to the TVF  gang who never miss an opportunity call other people whingers, yet constantly disparage both countries. Yes there are some wonderful characteristics about Thailand, but on the  issues that matter, substantive issues like  government transparency, a fair judicial process, police officers who do not engage in petty extortion, a separation of church, state and military education, and  quality health care the UK and Australia are well ahead of Thailand.   The government assumes it can impose all sort of bureaucratic inefficiencies on all of its foreign residents and visitors. Some people will tolerate it as they have limited options. Others will say, no thanks and walk away.  

I think this post is largely nonsense. Fact is people come and go for any number of reasons. I left ThaiIand 4 years ago after an extremely pleasant stay of 10 years. Living in Thailand is mostly stress free for the sensible expat and I only left because some pressing family commitments required that I do so.

I very much look forward to returning to Thailand when my obligations in the US are fulfilled.

As for "political situations", I find it best to ignore all that, whether it be in Thailand or my own country. Politicians and the people that would support them are best avoided at all costs.

If I hadn't settled here already, I would be seriously considering leaving.

I haven't noticed any change in the locals. They are still the same. Fine, except when driving or using other forms of transport, including foot.

What gets me is the uncertaintly of the future here and the not so progressive opportuities for foreigners, and maybe not just us, either.

I have been here 7 years. A little embarrassed to say that now, lol.

Ah, the good old days. I am not sure Thailand is a great place to settle down, but good for a bit of fun.

On 8/28/2016 at 5:56 PM, Squeegee said:

Called a hater?

Man, that is one of the best snapshots of an expat who is making a life that I have seen, with real thought, good judgement and in a very decent manner. On top of that there's always that bit of luck, but as they say in football "We make our own luck" and you have described a great life as well.

I hope Hong Kong works out for you, and I'm sure your daughter will grow up as a strong, well rounded human being!

Cheers. i got our  visas for HK last week, i fly there sunday. My wife and kid will come in a few months.

I'll havettwo nights in Pattaya before i go :D

Thailand is a pretty great place for the over 50 and financially set crowd to retire to. It is not very suitable to most people starting a family, and trying to earn a living. I have met so many 20 somethings who after being here 2 months, want to stay here forever with no savings, no long term plan and no thoughts on what that might mean (except to keep boinking the cute Thai girls they find so easy to meet). I have also met so many 30 and 40 somethings who stayed on after coming here in their 20s and they have no savings, survive via crappy teaching jobs and still have no plan for the future. By 40 it is pretty much too late to change your trajectory as you cannot survive in home country without skills and savings and earning power and you are usually here with a family.

Especially the ones without a degree....go HOME and get some education and put some cash away...at 20 or 22 you have plenty of time to realize your dream, you have not lived long enough to understand the mistakes you are making. Just my opinion and advice.

1 minute ago, tonray said:

Thailand is a pretty great place for the over 50 and financially set crowd to retire to. It is not very suitable to most people starting a family, and trying to earn a living. I have met so many 20 somethings who after being here 2 months, want to stay here forever with no savings, no long term plan and no thoughts on what that might mean (except to keep boinking the cute Thai girls they find so easy to meet). I have also met so many 30 and 40 somethings who stayed on after coming here in their 20s and they have no savings, survive via crappy teaching jobs and still have no plan for the future. By 40 it is pretty much too late to change your trajectory as you cannot survive in home country without skills and savings and earning power and you are usually here with a family.

Especially the ones without a degree....go HOME and get some education and put some cash away...at 20 or 22 you have plenty of time to realize your dream, you have not lived long enough to understand the mistakes you are making. Just my opinion and advice.

Perfect.

There's a young kid of 25 talking to me on twitter asking how he can live here. I told him you just can't unless you marry a Thai and have a good income. he said, "I'll just get a job and work permit">...I said, "I've been here 11 years and have qualifications co,ing out my ears for the mechanical trade. I've had one job which was a two month shut down at mataput.

He's not replied since i tweeted him that last night. 

On 8/23/2016 at 1:33 AM, DennisF said:

I am blaming no-one and exchange rates etc do not affect my ability to live here.

There has been, in my opinion, a shift in the atmosphere between foreigners and Thai people.

Maybe its just evolution but whatever it is, for me, its tangible.

Some of it is indeed my own perceptions and as a psychologist ( proper one) I can recognise these things!

The TV miseries do not bring me down at all, I find them rather sad to be honest and have no intention of joining that gang!

I too am on a retirement extension of stay and the hoops are not so bad, annoying sometimes but not a deal breaker!

I am most certainly not a whinging pom!!  Having lived in Aussie land for a few years, I too found them a pain in the butt!

One thing is for sure, everyone has their own reasons for staying and going. Only you know your own reasons and you should stick to what is best for you.

After 10 + years in Thailand, I decided to move my family to Florida USA.

Many people railed on me for this decision, but really, does anyone's opinion really matter? No they do not.

My decision mainly was centered around our son getting an education.

However, most of my friends had moved on and being around people that do not speak English was taking it's toll.

Not being a drinker or bar hopper,  we had crisscrossed the entire country seeing and doing everything.

About the time of the floods, protests, water and electric going off and staying off for days, 90 day reporting, immigration and the whole lot.

Simply just tired of it.

The fact is everyone has their own reasons for moving to Thailand and moving out.

I did not trap myself in Thailand and with an advanced education I was able to come back to the USA and make money to be able to have a wonderful life here. I also have full benefits, 401K matching, annual bonus, etc.

I like having the comforts of a western house, live right near the beach where all the stores I need are within 2 miles of my house. No traffic, no wasting time where I do not have to.

Have a nice size garage, plenty of tools and an older Jeep and Mustang I can tinker with. Have 2 new cars as well.

Once the idea gets in your head, that Thailand is not working, it can be very stressful.

You can either get yourself out of the stress or drown yourself in the bottle.

My family loves it here, life is so much easier for everyone and we have no intentions to return.

6 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

One thing is for sure, everyone has their own reasons for staying and going. Only you know your own reasons and you should stick to what is best for you.

After 10 + years in Thailand, I decided to move my family to Florida USA.

Many people railed on me for this decision, but really, does anyone's opinion really matter? No they do not.

My decision mainly was centered around our son getting an education.

However, most of my friends had moved on and being around people that do not speak English was taking it's toll.

Not being a drinker or bar hopper,  we had crisscrossed the entire country seeing and doing everything.

About the time of the floods, protests, water and electric going off and staying off for days, 90 day reporting, immigration and the whole lot.

Simply just tired of it.

The fact is everyone has their own reasons for moving to Thailand and moving out.

I did not trap myself in Thailand and with an advanced education I was able to come back to the USA and make money to be able to have a wonderful life here. I also have full benefits, 401K matching, annual bonus, etc.

I like having the comforts of a western house, live right near the beach where all the stores I need are within 2 miles of my house. No traffic, no wasting time where I do not have to.

Have a nice size garage, plenty of tools and an older Jeep and Mustang I can tinker with. Have 2 new cars as well.

Once the idea gets in your head, that Thailand is not working, it can be very stressful.

You can either get yourself out of the stress or drown yourself in the bottle.

My family loves it here, life is so much easier for everyone and we have no intentions to return.

Well put. Very similar to me. The kids education is number 1.

I never understand why people have a kid here and have nothing to stop them going to their home country to give them a proper education. No matter how hard they try and convince you, the Thai education system is truly awful no matter what type of school you go to. To me it's very selfish and denying the child so many things over their greed to stay in Thailand. (i know the offended train will be along soon)

The only reason i didn't take mine home or to a better country before now was the step daughter. I was never going to split a family up for my own selfish reasons. I was "all in" with the Mrs, i didn't pick and chose the best bits. I couldn't have took my Mrs and kid to the UK and have left the amazing step daughter here with her grandmother during her school years. She is now 22 and got a good job so we can move on.

And we are.

1 hour ago, Franky Bear said:

Well put. Very similar to me. The kids education is number 1.

I never understand why people have a kid here and have nothing to stop them going to their home country to give them a proper education. No matter how hard they try and convince you, the Thai education system is truly awful no matter what type of school you go to. To me it's very selfish and denying the child so many things over their greed to stay in Thailand. (i know the offended train will be along soon)

The only reason i didn't take mine home or to a better country before now was the step daughter. I was never going to split a family up for my own selfish reasons. I was "all in" with the Mrs, i didn't pick and chose the best bits. I couldn't have took my Mrs and kid to the UK and have left the amazing step daughter here with her grandmother during her school years. She is now 22 and got a good job so we can move on.

And we are.

Bang on...!

Could not agree more with this one and bwpage3 posts, we took the leap back in January and have not looked back since, zero regrets

Have just returned to the UK again after a 2 week holiday to LoS and that has completely cemented that we have made the right decision. Honestly there is not a single thing I miss and both the Missus and sprog were glad to get back home to the UK again

If we did not have a child to think about I think we would still have returned but the kid made the decision much easier, wish I had done it years ago really as the options for all of us are much better

We still have a house, cars, bikes and the wife's family and stuff so are still tied to Thailand for the moment but for me the charm and the rose tinted specs have gone, that said if Thailand still does it for you good luck and stay happy...

7 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Bang on...!

Could not agree more with this one and bwpage3 posts, we took the leap back in January and have not looked back since, zero regrets

Have just returned to the UK again after a 2 week holiday to LoS and that has completely cemented that we have made the right decision. Honestly there is not a single thing I miss and both the Missus and sprog were glad to get back home to the UK again

If we did not have a child to think about I think we would still have returned but the kid made the decision much easier, wish I had done it years ago really as the options for all of us are much better

We still have a house, cars, bikes and the wife's family and stuff so are still tied to Thailand for the moment but for me the charm and the rose tinted specs have gone, that said if Thailand still does it for you good luck and stay happy...

I was heading to the UK, but, this job in Hong Kong came up which is a huge career jump for me. The school system in HK, although expensive, is superb. SO i kind of have the best of both worlds. Plus Thailand is only 3 hours away with a flight every 5 minutes from Hk to Bkk.