Washing Machine

fanciman

I want a good washing machine. Where is the best place to find one in Thailand?

Is bringing one in from Malaysia/Singapore a better option?

(SIngapore always bills itself as a shoppers paradise, but i just think that the only thing there is overpriced shops... Just my opinion.)

Tips on which to get? Front loaders are meant to be better, generally.

Where is a good place to find reviews?

My best option so far is going to Tesco or Carrefour...

(SIngapore always bills itself as a shoppers paradise, but i just think that the only thing there is overpriced shops... Just my opinion.)

you can get a cheap and reliable twin tub from tescos for about 4k baht...I was pricing them out recently. I'd say stay away from front loaders or anything that has a fancy control panel. The control component is the first thing to go and the replacement costs the same as a new machine...if you can find one...

either that or get the wimminfolk to take the laundry down by the river and etc...

I have a Whirlpool washer that is a year old. It's great. The darn thing is going all the time.

Front loaders can be bad if there are little kids over :o This is the biggest one they make and made of metal, top loader. I bought it in Korat so that probally does not help you.

I bought a great top loader from Carrefour for under 8k. It is a Panasonic and has performed very well, in fact better than any of the giant machines I had in the US.

Front loaders are awkward to load and almost impossible to add that item forgotten at the beginning of the cycle. I have also had problems with leaks through the door seal with front loaders.

The first/main consideration is gravity or pump drain.

i bough a Zanussi over 8 years ago , they do not sell this brand here anymore , but Electrolux is taking in charge the repair !

They show to be very good and professional when I need them , if i need to get a new one i will buy a Electrolux without doubt .

We got an EVE, big one, made in Malaysia, top load, can wash a big blanket and there's room for more. It works fine but has an electronic control pannel, even though it has never sat in direct sunlight, the plastic covering the wash/rinse etc. options has become brittle and caved in already in one spot, others controls are about to do so as well.

Thank goodness for the replies!

I thought my thread title was so boring that nobody would read it :o

Gravity or pump drain... never thought/heard of this. What do you recommend? You can't break gravity!

Anyway, please keep the comments coming!

Thank goodness for the replies!

I thought my thread title was so boring that nobody would read it :o

Gravity or pump drain... never thought/heard of this. What do you recommend? You can't break gravity!

Anyway, please keep the comments coming!

Drirty water , out.

A pump drains it faster but can break. However I have never heard of it happening.

Is it worth getting a washing machine if you have no earth/ground in your apartment block? I have always resisted because of this fact.

If the washing machine has no exposed metal parts, you may still be electrocuted by contact with electrified water.

As a critical point of electrical safety, a proper earthing system MUST be installed throughout the ENTIRE installation.

Please go to this site for details;

http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/

I bought a new, with laquer damage, front-loader. Some brand of italy I believe ("telcom"). Was in early 2000, when I bought it, 10k due to the laquer damage.

After 3 years, the thing started to get noisy. I checked it and found the bearing on the washer damaged. Replaced it (130 baht for the new bearing) in about 4 hours of work. Still runs ok today.

Is it worth getting a washing machine if you have no earth/ground in your apartment block? I have always resisted because of this fact.

Libya,

Have a RCD breaker installed in comsumer box for all water bound appliances is the safe way to go.

Residual current circuit breakers are highly senitivite in case of a earth leakage fault between phase and earth and or neutral and earth. Easy to get in Thailand did the house with them on the shower water heater, water pump, etc.

Washer, twin tubes work great as long as you are happy to move your clothes from on side to another.

Top loader around 15k bht popular brand, no heater, no electronic display would be my choice.

As long as you have pressure water available to plumb into the unit, whether its gravity or pump, up too you.

A local drain for the unit to disgard water and you'll be the envy of all your neighbours.

Cheers

C-sip.

Libya,

Have a RCD breaker installed in comsumer box for all water bound appliances is the safe way to go.

Residual current circuit breakers are highly senitivite in case of a earth leakage fault between phase and earth and or neutral and earth. Easy to get in Thailand did the house with them on the shower water heater, water pump, etc.

Washer, twin tubes work great as long as you are happy to move your clothes from on side to another.

Top loader around 15k bht popular brand, no heater, no electronic display would be my choice.

As long as you have pressure water available to plumb into the unit, whether its gravity or pump, up too you.

A local drain for the unit to disgard water and you'll be the envy of all your neighbours.

Cheers

C-sip.

Nah. Where I used to live the drain pipe for the dirty water was about 9in. off the floor. Had to get a more expensive (by about 3,000 baht, IIRC) front loader (with a drain pump) so it would drain. A cheapo (but just as good at washing) top loader with no drain pump (as I believe most top loaders/twin tubs are) simply would not have drained.

you should check if your waterlines and/or drains are metal. you could ground onto them.

Very, very, very, very, very very bad idea.

If you want to live, go to http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/

Besides, the plumbing in Thailand is PVC so there is no guarantee that even if you connect to metal, it is a contiguous circuit.

If you want to fry, ignore my info.

Both our washer and dryer sit behind the house, outside, protected from the rain, we have a garden hose we use in that area. We have grounds here and asked the electrician to make it safe. An extra precaution, I've bought 4 plastic trays to carry glasses, like they use in restaurants. Attached them together and both machines are now sitting on plastic and 4 inches off the ground.

I have a Toshiba 7.5 kg and it works great. It has a number of cycles and is easy to maintain. When I moved to where I am now I noted that the cost of laundry service was a bit high. I forgot what I paid for it but I do recall making some calculations and discovered it would pay for itself in about 16 months. The apartment even installed a water line on my deck for 400 ThB. Well worth the investment if not for convenience alone.