Ipad or dealer scam?

CMKiwi

Here's one for you,

the missus had problems starting up her Ipad recently.  She left it plugged in (Charging) overnight and yet would not start up when pressing the power button.  Its less than 6 months old.

She took it to the dealership where she purchased it from (Authorised dearler/agent... as much as the sign can be trusted!) and told them of the problem. No worry they say, come back tomorrow all will be ok.  The next day on arrival back at the shop, bad news. Your IPad no good, hardware broken...need to buy latest model!

How can a product that is about 6 months old suddenly become no good? And what does hardware broken suppose to mean?  The flamin thing is in a protective case most of the time and is treated with kid gloves by the missus.  

A while back a visiting mate from Aussie had a similar problem with an IPhone.  He went thru the same run around so he rang his Apple agent back in Australia.  Long story short.... agent in Australia contacted agent in Chiang Mai and suddenly IPhone was all fixed.... no need for new model phone.

Not sure what the missus is going to do next but I advised her to get her IPad back asap and to let me know the name of this dearlership/agent.  Perhaps a report to Apple head office will close these shysters down or recind their 'authorised' dealership.

Can anyone recommend a relaible IPad repair person?

Should be under 1 year warranty for repair or replacement.  I think KSK is the place that does the repairs.  If they drag their feet, call Apple Singapore to get it resolved.  KSK told me I would have to wait 3 weeks for a replacement accessory so I called Singapore and they shipped to me, arriving in 3 days.

It could be one bad employee so, not to blame the whole company but certainly do make an issue of it...

My 10 year old niece could not start her 3 year old ipad. I could not either... We went to the local store where we bought it and they know us... they pressed the start button for a long time, then something came up and it restarted... they fiddled with it for a few minutes and all was like new... 

hope it works out... start out by asking for the manager...

I had a similar problem with my iPad 2 three years old. I took it to my local Apple Dealer (I didn't buy it from there) She pressed the Power Off button together with the Home button on the front and in ten seconds all was well. That was three months ago and no problems since.

Maybe you tried that already but if you did then I am no help.

I think it is reasonable that you try another Apple Dealer.

Edited by ChrisKC
Additional comment

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

I had a similar problem with my iPad 2 three years old. I took it to my local Apple Dealer (I didn't buy it from there) She pressed the Power Off button together with the Home button on the front and in ten seconds all was well. That was three months ago and no problems since.

Maybe you tried that already but if you did then I am no help.

I think it is reasonable that you try another Apple Dealer.

Chris, I had a similar fault with a Samsung phone about a year ago. Took it to the dealership in Airport Plaza and they say...power cord no good and promptly snapped it. Thereupon saying to my better half, you need new Samsung branded cord at 700 baht!

When I got back home I checked out the net in regards to Samsung phones freezing up and not opening.  Simple solution was as you mentioned.  Hold the home key and the power button down/in until the phone reboots. They called it a hard reboot.  I found later that one of the apps I downloaded was causing a conflict... it was a flashlight app if I remember correctly.

I'll try that when we go to get her I Pad back.... never know it could be the solution.  Oh and with the Samsung phone, there was nothing wrong with the old power cable. The salesman just wanted a sale and thinking back Im sure all he did was a hard reboot too.  If I had my way Id have given him a boot as well.....but a size 10 one.

Cheers for your reply.