Ferry to connect two vacation spots, Pattaya and Hua Hin

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading the comments here, seems like most of you've never seen a proper ferry.. Why shouldn't a proper car ferry be feasible on this route?? All over Scandinavia, these kind of ferries runs several times per day, all year around - in the North Sea (read: waves).

Here is one example that runs between Norway/Sweden/Denmark

Fjordline Cat

Speed:    
41 knots (76 km/h) service speed
48 knots (89 km/h) maximum speed
Capacity:    
900 passengers
240 cars

Hsc_fjord_cat_hirtshals.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSC_Fjord_Cat

Runs comfortably in waves up to several meters high.

Something like this would be perfect between Hua Hin and Pattaya. Think about all the tourists that travel between Samui and Rayong, Koh Chang etc. This would be perfect, as it could bring  you from Hua Hin to Koh Chang in just a few hours with Van+Ferry.

Edited by mortenaa

13 hours ago, njhorn2000 said:

They wanna make it profitable, make it a Booze Cruze.. That's what that demographic is looking for anyway. MAN OVERBOARD!!!

It would end up just like alcohol on the trains. A member of staff most likely the captain would get drunk, rape somebody, throw them over board and they would have to ban it altogether. 

14 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

Just like the 69 kph average in a car. Not a chance unless there is a lot of wreckage left behind on the road. Don't the people who give these values have any idea of what it takes to produce a good average?

And if I said 50 or 55 someone else would have corrected me... being pedantic doesn't  make a hero, just picky.

17 hours ago, innocenthai said:

HUA HIM TO KOH PHANGAN ?????

Never heard of it !

Thank you.

Here's a link to the link: https://www.getyourguide.com/hua-hin-l911/hua-hin-to-koh-phangan-high-speed-catamaran-transfers-t63355/

" Take the worries out of your travel in Thailand with an express transfer from Hua Hin to Koh Phangan. Ride by bus in air-conditioned comfort to Chumphon. Cruise further to Phangan by catamaran with drop-off at Thong Sala Pier. "

It's advertized on the Internet but who knows if it really exists. There is a Thai flag on the stern, so at least the catamaran exists. The cost is over 1000 baht.

13 hours ago, tifino said:

...speaking about what's in that photo...

...a previous ply of the Koh SiChang Route

2014-02-28 06.55.51.jpg

the insides are a little more impressive, but it would be needed for a more sea-going trip:

2014-02-28 08.41.45.jpg

Just a fresh coat of paint and it'll be right-as-rain.

11 hours ago, mortenaa said:

Reading the comments here, seems like most of you've never seen a proper ferry.. Why shouldn't a proper car ferry be feasible on this route?? All over Scandinavia, these kind of ferries runs several times per day, all year around - in the North Sea (read: waves).

Here is one example that runs between Norway/Sweden/Denmark

Fjordline Cat

Speed:    
41 knots (76 km/h) service speed
48 knots (89 km/h) maximum speed
Capacity:    
900 passengers
240 cars

Hsc_fjord_cat_hirtshals.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSC_Fjord_Cat

Runs comfortably in waves up to several meters high.

Something like this would be perfect between Hua Hin and Pattaya. Think about all the tourists that travel between Samui and Rayong, Koh Chang etc. This would be perfect, as it could bring  you from Hua Hin to Koh Chang in just a few hours with Van+Ferry.

Yes with a big taxfree shop onboard it will become a success.

5 hours ago, Rorri said:

And if I said 50 or 55 someone else would have corrected me... being pedantic doesn't  make a hero, just picky.

Neither does being stupid. Incidentally it was the OPERA I was responding to, the figure they quote not yours which I totally agree with

Edited by gandalf12

6 hours ago, TimTang said:

Here's a link to the link: https://www.getyourguide.com/hua-hin-l911/hua-hin-to-koh-phangan-high-speed-catamaran-transfers-t63355/

" Take the worries out of your travel in Thailand with an express transfer from Hua Hin to Koh Phangan. Ride by bus in air-conditioned comfort to Chumphon. Cruise further to Phangan by catamaran with drop-off at Thong Sala Pier. "

It's advertized on the Internet but who knows if it really exists. There is a Thai flag on the stern, so at least the catamaran exists. The cost is over 1000 baht.

It OF COURSE does now exist. Its a bus from hua him and a boat from chumpon of course.

16 hours ago, mortenaa said:

Most people posting here seem to have seen not much at all, apart from the view from their bar stool! :whistling:

On 8/24/2016 at 6:31 AM, gk10002000 said:

financially not profitable, unless the government builds the infrastructure, modernizes the pier, landing etc.  Then the Return on Investment doesn't have to deal with the sunk cost.  Otherwise the price won't be supported by enough people.  There just isn't that much traffic or demand.  But somebody will probably generate a study or report that shows it is feasible, the military government will approve it, the people's money will be spent on it, the contract(s) probably will go to people the military wants it to go to, friends, or family, business associates, etc.  There just isn't any accountability under the current government, and I use the term government loosely.

"But somebody will probably generate a study or report that shows it is feasible, the military government will approve it, the people's money will be spent on it, the contract(s) probably will go to people the military wants it to go to, friends, or family, business associates, etc.  There just isn't any accountability under the current government, and I use the term government loosely."

Those words are descriptively reminiscent of the government depicted in the TV series "House of Cards" :whistling:  The Government of Thailand is a political kindergarten,  compared to that other Red, White & Blue  Asylum for the mentally insane.. So, either give it a rest, or return to that place where your government (according to you) is so squeaky-clean. Capisce?:coffee1:

6 hours ago, NativeSon360 said:

"But somebody will probably generate a study or report that shows it is feasible, the military government will approve it, the people's money will be spent on it, the contract(s) probably will go to people the military wants it to go to, friends, or family, business associates, etc.  There just isn't any accountability under the current government, and I use the term government loosely."

Those words are descriptively reminiscent of the government depicted in the TV series "House of Cards" :whistling:  The Government of Thailand is a political kindergarten,  compared to that other Red, White & Blue  Asylum for the mentally insane.. So, either give it a rest, or return to that place where your government (according to you) is so squeaky-clean. Capisce?:coffee1:

you keep your personal comments to yourself and your mouth shut.  I don't represent nor stand behind the USA nor did I claim it was right or proper nor squeaky clean

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

you keep your personal comments to yourself and your mouth shut.  I don't represent nor stand behind the USA nor did I claim it was right or proper nor squeaky clean

Shut my mouth, eh? :cheesy:

Edited by NativeSon360

On 24 August 2016 at 1:51 PM, Junkyarddog said:

Let me tell you how this turns out. They start the ferry service. They hire some of these useless phuychais that drive the Pattaya speedboats. Their drunk most of the time and run into a fishing boat going full speed. The ferry sinks and 300 tourist die. The authorities chalk this up to bad luck.

They'll show a lot of compassion to the victims families, though. Such an incident will have the "no effect on tourism" stamp of approval. And, grieving parents from Scunthorpe will profess love for all things Thai.

On 24/08/2016 at 9:20 AM, DrTuner said:

This again. The demographics of Pattaya and Hua Hin are different, nobody wants to go in either direction. Fail.

Exactly- this again. Must be a slow news day.

Apparently we're going to have a high-speed dual track standard guage railway from Nong Khai to Maptaphut - any day now.

And then I woke up...

The video is from 2008 of a Manly to Sydney ferry.    Waves between 5 - 8 feet.

The original ferries sailed under their own steam from Scotland / England to Australia, the first a paddle steamer in 1883 followed by newer ferries, The Dee Why and Curl Curl in 1927 and 1928.

Back in the 1960's they often had Jazz Evening Cruises down the river to The Heads and back.

Sorry if it's a bit away from the original posting.